• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where do I start?

ogv

We downloaded oscommerce on our computer and now I just need to know what to do. Do I need to have my website online with a domain and host to work this cart or can I use it offline? The only other thing I need to get started then is if I do put it in a temporay file on my server how do I work on the cart and get started on it? Thanks.

We downloaded oscommerce on our computer and now I just need to know what to do.  Do I need to have my website online with a domain and host to work this cart or can I use it offline?  The only other thing I need to get started then is if I do put it in a temporay file on my server how do I work on the cart and get started on it?  Thanks.

Yes, you need a host to install and configure osCommerce. The first thing you should do is buy your domain, find a host (not a Windows host perferably - not even sure if osCommerce will work on Windows, but don't hold me to that). Then extract the osCommerce files and upload the entire catalog folder to your server. From there, just follow the installation instructions and get set to be patient!

If you're planning to process credit cards online, you'll also need a secure server and an SSL certificate (unless you are going to only use Paypal).

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Angel

you can use osCommerce offline - you'll need to setup a server to do it. NOT as painful to do as it sounds

There are advantages in having an offline or online Development store that is separate to your main store

I work on alocl DEV store - becasue I've got a lousy net connection :( But the principle is the same That way you can develop locally, sort any glitches, understand if a new contribution interferes with any contribution you might have already loaded, test it and when you're happy THEN load it into your online store. It's still appropriate to back up your local DEV store (inlcuding the dB) before you wreak any major changes on it

Doesn't take long to do and migrating local developments to your online store can be made really painless with one of the File comparison utilities for files and phpMyAdmin for the dB. I use BeyondCompare2 (because I like the way it handles FTP sites) for file comparison but there are others.

You can run osC on Windows but I think most people would run it on *nix

Anyway, good luck, sounds like you've got a lot of reading to do. Do your research on this, search the forums, check the documentation and Knowledge Base. You'll also need some decent tools. Don't approach this as a project you'd do in FrontPage. You're going to need a decent graphics package and a good editor. I've also found having a decent comparison tool a must.

Archived