• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installation Problems

Vesper

OK, I am new to using all of this PHP and MySQL so forgive me If I sound stupid, but I'm not sure if my host is capable of using PHP and all that stuff.

Am I supposed to install something on my server that allows me to use OsCommerce, as of right now I uploaded the installation files and I come to a road block, I don't think I have create or drop permissions, and apparently my "database" isn't working whatever that is :blush:

The Error I get is this: A test connection made to the database was NOT successful.

Am I supposed to setup MySQL and PHP on my server, I really don't know :'(

As of now, all I have done is uploaded the osCommerce to my site, I have done nothing else at all, and I am already completely lost :(

I did a search about people who had the same problems, and I had no idea what any of them were talking about, this is so frustrating >_<

I need the Complete Dummy's Guide to Using osCommerce, otherwise I'm gonna be in a lot of trouble :P

If anyone can give me a step-by-step on how to make my server ready for osCommerce and tell me how to set it all up I would be very much appreciative :thumbsup:

However, don't use terms that are too fancy or anything, I am completely new to all of this stuff. I am very good with HTML, and I also use programs such as FrontPage and Dreamweaver, but this is like a whole new world :blink:

OK, I am new to using all of this PHP and MySQL so forgive me If I sound stupid, but I'm not sure if my host is capable of using PHP and all that stuff.

Am I supposed to install something on my server that allows me to use OsCommerce, as of right now I uploaded the installation files and I come to a road block, I don't think I have create or drop permissions, and apparently my "database" isn't working whatever that is  :blush:

The Error I get is this: A test connection made to the database was NOT successful.

Am I supposed to setup MySQL and PHP on my server, I really don't know  :'(

As of now, all I have done is uploaded the osCommerce to my site, I have done nothing else at all, and I am already completely lost :(

Yes, you need mySQL and PHP on your server to install it :)

Angel

Thanks for your help, you actually helped me out a lot :)

I went to my host site, and all of the servers come with PHP and MySQL available, right now I need to login to the control panel on the site to setup my database, however I lost my info so it could be a while before they respond :)

To be continued. . .

Oh I almost forgot, does osCommerce come with built in templates and designs and all of that jazz, or do I need to build a page from scratch and just use the osCommerce features?

I believe there are third-party templates available, but they are not part of the stock installation.

The KB has installation and configuration procedures.

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/I...ling_osCommerce

For the rest of your problems...suggest you start reading these forums heavily, and talk to your host support regarding PHP, MySQL, SSL, and other basic server issues.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

My server doesn't have SSL support, am I screwed?

Not necessarily, you'll just have to purchase and install your own SSL certificate. I use this one, but there are many others, some cheaper.

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/quickssldetails.asp

Before you can purchase and install an ssl certificate you have to do a few things - and I don't think you'll be able to do them if your server does not have support for ssl at all.

1. Your website has to be ip based with its own dedicated ip address, and not name based and using a shared ip address.

2. If that is possible then you should then see an ssl link in your web hosting control panel, which will allow you to input some information and generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) for your website. You have to copy this into a text file, because you will need to supply this when you buy the cert. Then, once oyu have the cert text you need to 'import' it into the same part of your hosting control panel that you see the CSR text in.

Vger

i can't add certificates to my site, the control panel doesn't allow it >_<

that knocks me a back a few steps. are there any sites where I can get free hosting with all of these features just to simply test it out, I will purchase for hosting only if I'm sure I can get this working :(

damnit where's the edit post command :P

I was able to use WinSCP to connect to my MySQL on another site I have that uses free hosting

www.siteburg.com

Now that I've connected, what do I do next, I'm pretty sure this site supports SSL

I can connect to the site using WinSCP but still can't get past the 3rd step in the osCommerce install, I'm positive my username and password are right, I'm not sure about the host name and database name though?

I wasn't given a database name so I left it blank, put in my username, and tried a few other things and they all didn't work, but thats not the problem.

I'm still unable to connect to the host, even though I can connect with WinSCP. I connected with WinSCP using showcars.siteburg.com but this doesn't work for osCommerce >.<

I don't think you're going to be able to install SSL on a free host. If your host doesn't let you install your own SSL cert, or at least provide shared SSL--it's time to find a new host.

My free host already has SSL installed.

Its free cause you need your own domain name and traffic is very limited, so is webspace. This is just a temporary solution, I will get a new web host soon as I get this figured out. The installer that came with OsCommerce doesn't work for me, but I can connect to my MySQL database, is ther a way I could manually install it?

If any of you have AIM/MSN and would like to talk to me and kind of walk me through it my AIM is ALSwimmer90 and my msn is [email protected]

Archived