• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Over time, wont oscommerce sites slow to a drip?

jond

Hi,

Once my oscommerce store has many customers and orders in the database tables, wont it be incredibly slow? How does everyone solve this? I want to keep my customer order data because i use it to apply discounts based on amounts spent...

Slow to do what?

Yes the admin side might slow down a fair bit with lots of records, but the size of these tables has little effect on the store speed if you have the right indexes on the tables.

You can also run "optimize table" from phpmy admin, or archive order records to a different table if the admin side is a hassle.

Jon,

You are absolutely correct...the store will lose significant performance especially for certain sections of the store (product_info, etc.). Even though FalseDawn recommends adding indexes the root problem is not that easy to solve.

I have covered the topic in detail as to what steps are necessary to restore a 250,000 order store to "500 order" performance. The threads (3 come to mind immediately) approach the problem from different angles but all to the same effect.

Also, I have posted at least 20 or 30 threads with specific problems and their resolution. Most of these I posted in the Tips n' Tricks section. The areas cover everything from the product_info page also_purchased module to the bestsellers box.

Good hunting :)

Bobby

Yeah - it can't hurt to have a look at the tips and try to sort some of the queries out.

By the way, product_info won't be affected by the number of orders or customers since there are no queries in there using either table - not to say it can't be improved though!

As Chemo says, the worst affected areas are likely to be the bestsellers and "also purchased" areas - as these query the orders table.

I'm curious, though - just how many orders/customers do you expect to get? I don't think things are going to slow down that drastically till you are in the tens of thousands... and if you reach that point you'll be better off with a dedicated server to handle the load anyway!

By the way, product_info won't be affected by the number of orders or customers since there are no queries in there using either table - not to say it can't be improved though!

As Chemo says, the worst affected areas are likely to be the bestsellers and "also purchased" areas - as these query the orders table.

I'm curious, though - just how many orders/customers do you expect to get? I don't think things are going to slow down that drastically till you are in the tens of thousands... and if you reach that point you'll be better off with a dedicated server to handle the load anyway!

For the record, I was speaking specifically about the also_purchased module on the product_info page when I referred to that particular area realizing a performance decrease. If you don't use the also_purchased module and have something like X-SELL then you can disregard that bit of info :)

I agree that the critical mass for most servers is around 25,000 orders or so. Of course, this depends on whether a store is on a shared server and what the load is on that box. If the store is on a dedicated server then that number may need to be as high as 50K-75K before it really slows down the page.

Bobby

a appreciate the replies.

I dont expect to hit tens of thousands of orders for a little while, but definately want to be ready for it. Right now, i am on a shared server. Everything runs very fast now (especially after the Chemo store speed up thread - thats a good one!) but i may switch over to dedicated in the future if i cant find a good solution for the growing orders table.

Quick question - I was having trouble finding the threads that discuss archiving old orders and dealing with large customers/orders tables. Did some google searches, as the oscommerce forum search is kinda poor, and came up dry. Could you point me in the right direction a bit, Chemo?

thanks in advance!

Sorry...I don't have them bookmarked. I'd have to search for them the same as everyone else.

If you find them post the links back here...

Bobby

Archived