• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Fundamental Flaws

hobbit

I'm a complete newbie to osCommerce, though not to shopping cart systems. I'm setting up a new shop using osCommerce, which was recommended by a friend. Although I've found the process of configuration and product population quite cumbersome and not that easy to understand (I have no programming knowledge whatsoever), I still managed to set up everything that I require - with one exception!

Based in the UK and wanting to sell items to the UK and EEC countries, I can find no way that works to set up shipping rates to different countries and for one country (UK) adding a split of 4 different shipping pricing zones.

I have spent many hours daily over the past 6 days trawling through the forums and the contributions and have been unable to find anything that would remotely fix my problem. There are hundreds of questions on various of the forums asking for help on this basic and fundamental issue stretching back over many months, but no one seems to have any concrete and complete answers. There also appears to be a distinct lack of support from the senior members.

I very much appreciate the fact that I can use an excellent resource such as osCommerce and that its for free, but the shipping module is so flawed that for many users it becomes impossible to use osCommerce.

ShouldI go out and buy an off the shelf package or can anybody, anywhere help all of us who have been asking for a solution to this problem for months?

Frustrated Hobbit

:'(

Don't know if this helps, but I was trying to make it so that I have different shipping prices for groups of provinces and I came across this contribution.

by the way

There also appears to be a distinct lack of support from the senior members.

bear in mind that this forum does not have a team to answer questions 24/7

(people who answer questions help because they WANT to, not because they HAVE to)

same goes for the contributions

Edited by Winterchild

Forum search

Contributions search

Documentation search (note: docs being adapted for MS3, may be different for MS2)

3 tips for better forum searching

Want to post? Read this first:

osCommerce for dummies

Topic name etiquette

Basics:

Basics for design

Right syntax to use near '-20, 20'

Cannot re-assign $this

Parse error

Sorry, did not wish to offend anyone and am thankful for all support. I think frustration got the better of me.

Will try the mod you suggest and let you know how I get on.

Hobbit

:blush:

Sorry, did not wish to offend anyone and am thankful for all support. I think frustration got the better of me.

Will try the mod you suggest and let you know how I get on.

Hobbit

:blush:

Winterchild maybe you have my answer. My client wants her shipping to be flat rate $7.00 for Ontario and $13.00 for the rest of Canada. I've looked through all the contributions but none allow based on two flat rates. Any ideas?

My Webpage

Thanks

Ruth

Edited by dandelion

This may sound kind of stupid but I'm not sure what flat rates are. Flat rates remain the same no matter how much you order or how much it ways?

Have you looked at the contribution I mentioned earlier? You can set states and/or countries (ontario is a state?)

In the contribution are three groups possible and you need only two. I think you can put Ontario as the first rate, then Canada (as country) as the second (and leave the third blank)

I'm not sure how it calculates the shipping fee ( Iwould like a flat fee too). I'm still working on it. So the only advise is to look at it and try making it the way you want.

Forum search

Contributions search

Documentation search (note: docs being adapted for MS3, may be different for MS2)

3 tips for better forum searching

Want to post? Read this first:

osCommerce for dummies

Topic name etiquette

Basics:

Basics for design

Right syntax to use near '-20, 20'

Cannot re-assign $this

Parse error