• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Banner not showing in footer.

kingchaos

HI there.

I added a banner but it does not show up in the footer ( or anywhere else)

The banner is active but it has no viewings. ( not so strange since it not showing anywhere) But how do I get it to show up in the shop? Shold'nt it be in the footer somewhere?

Anyone knows where to start looking for errors.?

King

Banner images need to be added to admin/images/banners/

Vger

That is not the problem. The problem is that the banner is not showing up at all. So it must be the .php file that calls the baners. But it's not it my footer.php. Becouse it the footer I have :

<?php

if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '468x50')) {

?>

So it must be in another file that generates the banners.

King

Wish I could help you. I am having the same problem in 2 shops. Can't even get the standard OSC banner to show and it is in the right place and the code is in the footer and nothing else concerning banners (other than adding them in the admin panel) has been done. Good luck figuring it out. I gave up. lol

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Wish I could help you. I am having the same problem in 2 shops. Can't even get the standard OSC banner to show and it is in the right place and the code is in the footer and nothing else concerning banners (other than adding them in the admin panel) has been done. Good luck figuring it out. I gave up. lol

I don't have a problem with the banners showing, but did find some problems with directory permissions that could contribute to your problems.

In catalog/images chmod graphs directory to 0755, and in catalog/admin/images the tightest permissions I can set without getting a (can't write to graphs directory) is 0746

don't know if this will help, but without knowing if you have done modifications to any of the banner.php files, can't go further.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

Well.. There has to be another file thats calling the banners. But I don't know who. I removed all the banners, and innstalled alot og contributions. And when I added a banner again it din'nt show up. So now I don't know what cont that removed the banners. But someone out there has to know what files calling tha banners. So I can start looking in those files.

B)

Any Guru that know...??

King

Hmmm..

Stupid is as stupid does.

Why didnt you tell me that I had to add the banner in a group called 468x50...

lol

It's working...

After rechecking ALL files TO times.. And uploaded one file at at a time.. Didnt go fast.. But then I thouht.. Hmm.. Why is the group called 468x50 and why is it groups when there is no where to activate or diactivte just a group..

SO.. Called it 468x50.. And: WHAM BAM THANK U MAM.

King

Hmmm..

lol

It's working...

After rechecking ALL files TO times.. And uploaded one file at at a time.. Didnt go fast.. But then I thouht.. Hmm.. Why is the group called 468x50 and why is it groups when there is no where to activate or diactivte just a group..

King

:D I found out the same thing a couple of days ago. For what ever reason the banner has to fall into the same group, inspite of not actually being the specified size. Now I'm getting write errors from the graphs. Have you seen any of this...

Warning: imagepng(): Unable to open 'images/graphs/banner_infobox-1.png' for writing in /home/giftsyou/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/admin/includes/classes/phplot.php on line 482

So far it hasn't caused me any grief, but I'm glad you found the source of your bane! :lol: The next issue will come with nonssl banners in your secure pages. I'm chasing answers for this one too! Good luck with yours!!!

Allison

We help each other, to help ourselves!

Aloha Allison!

Liken to wrinkles, the many paths of my life not only altered my destiny, but my appearance.

Poetry, the artistry of plying ones soul to the empty canvases of life. A vision without sight. A verse without darkness. Lighting each day with a prose of beauty and love.

Hmmm..

lol

It's working...

King

You really are the king. I had been adding the banners to seperate group names to help me organize them. Changed them all to 468x50 and they work. Thanks for figuring out the problem. lol

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Warning: imagepng(): Unable to open 'images/graphs/banner_infobox-1.png' for writing in /home/giftsyou/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/admin/includes/classes/phplot.php on line 482

Allison

You have 2 chmod all files in admin/images/graphs/ to 777. or atleast 666. I guess you have been deleting those files and uploaded them again. So try chmod.. Start with 666. ( maximum security.) I think thats is enuogh.

King

You really are the king. I had been adding the banners to seperate group names to help me organize them. Changed them all to 468x50 and they work. Thanks for figuring out the problem. lol

777 is not a good idea. There is no reason for anything executable in these directories. 646 will allow the files to be written to, but not allow execution. Also, since there are no group writes necessary in these directories, no need to allow Group to write.

Also, by using a different group name on a banner serieis, you can call them elsewhere in the site. Like in your product description, you could call some vendor advertising by adding

<?php
if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '120x60')) {
?>
<br>
<table border="0"width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">
 <tr>
   <td align="center"><?php echo tep_display_banner('static', $banner); ?></td>
 </tr>
</table>
<?php
 }  
?>

to display a group of ads named and sized to 120px by 60px.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

777 is not a good idea. There is no reason for anything executable in these directories. 646 will allow the files to be written to, but not allow execution. Also, since there are no group writes necessary in these directories, no need to allow Group to write.

Also, by using a different group name on a banner serieis, you can call them elsewhere in the site. Like in your product description, you could call some vendor advertising by adding

<?php
if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '120x60')) {
?>
<br>
<table border="0"width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">
?<tr>
? ?<td align="center"><?php echo tep_display_banner('static', $banner); ?></td>
?</tr>
</table>
<?php
?} ?
?>

to display a group of ads named and sized to 120px by 60px.

Hi George! Is it also possible to create a wildcard like ('dynamic', '120x*')) ? For example I have several vertical ads that are 125x60, 125x95, 125x? etc. That I would like to use in my side columns. Is the rule flexible?

Thanks,

Allison

Aloha Allison!

Liken to wrinkles, the many paths of my life not only altered my destiny, but my appearance.

Poetry, the artistry of plying ones soul to the empty canvases of life. A vision without sight. A verse without darkness. Lighting each day with a prose of beauty and love.

Don't know, haven't tried it. Try that, and also setting the size to the longest length and see what happens. you could also set up group 120x to see how they display.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

Don't know, haven't tried it. Try that, and also setting the size to the longest length and see what happens. you could also set up  group 120x to see how they display.

Thanks! Sounds like it's worth a try at least. Let you know how it turns out.

Allison

Aloha Allison!

Hi George! Is it also possible to create a wildcard like ('dynamic', '120x*')) ? For example I have several vertical ads that are 125x60, 125x95, 125x? etc. That I would like to use in my side columns. Is the rule flexible?

Thanks,

Allison

I set up side banners, called the group "small" and the sizes are all different. I don't think they matter what size they are as long as they fit in the space you want them to. They all load in at whatever size they are suposed to be. If you want to see you can look here. They are in the left column.

If you look most banners are 468x60 but the group name for the large ones in the footer are labeled 468x50. Just a group name, not a specification on size.

Wendy James

Archived