• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My Store

creationsbykate

Hi,

Can you please have a look at my store when you get a chance, and offer comments/suggestions.

Im concerned about the color scheme and whether it looks dull. But any other ideas would be great

Regards

Richard.

creationsbykate.com.au

Gifts! Ceramic Tiles! Magnets! Coasters!

Although the site is mostly stock osc I have to say I like it more than I do most stock sites. I think it is because of the adorable header image. =) Very cute products too.

Only 2 things jumped out at me.

First is that the image on the product description page is the same size as the thumbnails in the listing. Since the items I looked at didn't have a ton of information with them you may want to see about getting a bigger image for the description page. If I was shopping I might get annoyed that I HAD to click on the pop up image on pretty much everything I looked at just to get a decent look at it.

Second is that everything feels a little crowded. Not much breathing space. Not sure how to explain it but instead of getting a relaxed... "i want to look at this stuff" feeling, I just feel rushed. But it was mostly on the product information pages where the "Customers who bought this product also purchased" box underneath the description.

oops forgot to mention that I love the fact your title has the product name in it and the meta tag has the specific items description. I used a meta tag controller contrib but it doesn't do that and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to do it. Good job!

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Looks ok to me. Only thing I can suggest is to remove your category counts so you have less queries to the database and your site loads faster. Slow sites turn customers away.

Hi there,

It looks alright, but not as 'creative' as I'd expect 'Creations by Kate' to be. I also agree that it looks very crowded. Perhaps consider breaking the text up on the main page with some images, and add a little padding in the table that holds your text.

Also, am curious to know why you'd put Google ads on your store pages. Do you really want to direct your customers away from your site to another store that sells ceramic tiles? Isn't the purpose to get them to your store and buy from YOU?

HTH,

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Looks ok to me.  Only thing I can suggest is to remove your category counts so you have less queries to the database and your site loads faster.  Slow sites turn customers away.

How do I remoce the category counts? Please explain

Hi there,

It looks alright, but not as 'creative' as I'd expect 'Creations by Kate' to be. I also agree that it looks very crowded. Perhaps consider breaking the text up on the main page with some images, and add a little padding in the table that holds your text.

Also, am curious to know why you'd put Google ads on your store pages. Do you really want to direct your customers away from your site to another store that sells ceramic tiles? Isn't the purpose to get them to your store and buy from YOU?

HTH,

Terry

Hi, Ive added Google ads just to earn a little extra income, which is then rolled back into paid advertising, which hopefully increase the circle

Although the site is mostly stock osc I have to say I like it more than I do most stock sites. I think it is because of the adorable header image. =) Very cute products too.

Only 2 things jumped out at me.

First is that the image on the product description page is the same size as the thumbnails in the listing. Since the items I looked at didn't have a ton of information with them you may want to see about getting a bigger image for the description page. If I was shopping I might get annoyed that I HAD to click on the pop up image on pretty much everything I looked at just to get a decent look at it.

Second is that everything feels a little crowded. Not much breathing space. Not sure how to explain it but instead of getting a relaxed... "i want to look at this stuff" feeling, I just feel rushed. But it was mostly on the product information pages where the "Customers who bought this product also purchased" box underneath the description.

oops forgot to mention that I love the fact your title has the product name in it and the meta tag has the specific items description. I used a meta tag controller contrib but it doesn't do that and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to do it. Good job!

Sorry Do you mean 3 different image sizes, thumbnail on category page, little bigger on product description and then large image fror popup?

Sorry Do you mean 3 different image sizes, thumbnail on category page, little bigger on product description and then large image fror popup?

Yes, that is what I mean. =) Not a necessity but when I am searching for something I want to be able to tell if I really want to take a good look at it without having to take a good look at it, if that makes sense. And I have made purchases just based on the one that is bigger than the thumbnail on the description page without looking at a popup. Quick browsing for me is a plus but that is a personal preference.

You could always get rid of the middle sized image and just put a large one on your description page since you do not have a long description. I did that for a client who only had a few words as a description, adjusted the layout of the info page a little and it worked out really well.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Yes, that is what I mean. =) Not a necessity but when I am searching for something I want to be able to tell if I really want to take a good look at it without having to take a good look at it, if that makes sense. And I have made purchases just based on the one that is bigger than the thumbnail on the description page without looking at a popup. Quick browsing for me is a plus but that is a personal preference.

You could always get rid of the middle sized image and just put a large one on your description page since you do not have a long description. I did that for a client who only had a few words as a description, adjusted the layout of the info page a little and it worked out really well.

Thanks, I will give that a go,

Will aim for big picture on decription pages and remove enlarge link

Ok Quick questions-

I have a contribution installed for images,

small images are under catalog/images/products

big images are under catalog/images/big/products

Where do I change this, so I can display big images on the product info page, and not the thumbnail as now.

Ok Quick questions-

Where do I change this, so I can display big images on the product info page, and not the thumbnail as now.

One thing I notices is that your Information box says Shipping and Returns but the page says Shipping and Payments

I don't like the scrolling on the bestsellers but maybe that's just me

I find your font too small - but maybe I'm getting old and need glasses.

I really like your cute logo!

Ruth

One thing I notices is that your Information box says Shipping and Returns but the page says Shipping and Payments

I don't like the scrolling on the bestsellers but maybe that's just me

I find your font too small - but maybe I'm getting old and need glasses.

I really like your cute logo!

Ruth

Thanks Ruth,

I hadnt noticed the difference in the Infobox, I will change that now.

Might sample different fonts, as your not the first person to say its hard to read.

Ok Quick questions-

If you installed one of the many image contributions it should do that all for you without you having to touch anything. Having set up a second folder for the big images will require quite a bit of code changes, I believe... to call the correct big image.

I really suggest getting a contribution and not trying to do it on your own.

Wendy James

Archived