• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Why is it so difficult to give a store credit?

milesdavis

I've spent hours today pouring through this site, and searching google trying to figure out a way to give my customer a credit on their account. I can't believe it is so difficult, and it's so infrequently asked.

The CC&GV contrib is great for promotion codes, but limited for the use of giving a specific customer an online credit.

All I need to be able to do is say "Here John Doe, here is your $60.00 to spend in the store" then when on his account, he sees "Hey, there is my $60.00 store credit" and then when he checks out "Hey, my $60.00 has been deducted from my final sale!"

account balance contrib is not working, either. I'm just suprised there aren't more contribs for this.

Sorry, just really am desperate for help on this..

thanks-md

We have created discount/credit vouchers as a product within one of our categories.

Here's the way it works...

You will need to be able to log into the customer's account, we use the "Master Password"

contribution)

Create a product called "Credit ?60.00" (or whatever your currency is) and

give the product a negative value eg -60.00.

Place a few items in stock and hide the item by switching status from Green to Red.

Once an account has been created, log into the customers account using the master password.

Open another window to the admin panel so you have access to the products.

Make the credit product live (switch from Red - Green)

Go back to the store screen and put the "Credit voucher into the customers basket.

Now return to the admin panel and switch the product status from Green to Red.

Now when the customer logs into their account and looks at their basket, they will

see a ?-60.00 credit sitting there. They can remove it if they want to but so far it

has certainly worked for us.

Now when the customer checks out the ?60 will be deducted from the final total, or if they

only choose ?40 worth of goods it will leave ?20 credit. If they choose ?80 worth of goods it

will show the balance of ?20.

Simple really, if i've explained it properly.

I hope this helps

Derek

I am glad I stopped in here. I had no idea to help them but that sounds like a great idea and something I am going to save to a text file for the future. =) Thanks Derek!

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

thanks Arcadiauk!

thats certainly an interesting idea..

so basically,

I install the master password contrib..

open up two windows, one to admin and one to the store/customer side

create a product with a negative value, same as the refund, say 60.00

take the product out of stock (turn it red)

turn the -$60.00 item to green

add it to his/her cart

then turn it red again

does that sound right?

thanks for the assist!

-md

I am glad I stopped in here. I had no idea to help them but that sounds like a great idea and something I am going to save to a text file for the future. =) Thanks Derek!

The ccgv contribution allows you to Email a gift voucher to someone - once redeemed, this then shows up as a credit in their shopping cart.

An advantage of this is that they don't need to use the entire amount on a single purchase - it keeps track of their credit balance after every purchase.

I don't know if you overlooked this, or if this is not what you want...

I attempted to use this feature, but I had two problems.

1.) In my test email, when I clicked the link -- I got a "Parse Error extra "}" in Line 67" <-something similar to that.

2.) In the users account, it said "Send Gift Voucher" underneath their shopping cart. I don't get this, and it seems like a potential security issue.

otherwise, I'd love to use it I have it installed..

thanks!

derek

The ccgv contribution allows you to Email a gift voucher to someone - once redeemed, this then shows up as a credit in their shopping cart.

An advantage of this is that they don't need to use the entire amount on a single purchase - it keeps track of their credit balance after every purchase.

I don't know if you overlooked this, or if this is not what you want...

You've got it, that's is exactly what I mean.

Good luck

Derek

thanks Arcadiauk!

thats certainly an interesting idea..

so basically,

I install the master password contrib..

open up two windows, one to admin and one to the store/customer side

create a product with a negative value, same as the refund, say 60.00

take the product out of stock (turn it red)

turn the -$60.00 item to green

add it to his/her cart

then turn it red again

does that sound right?

thanks for the assist!

-md

I've spent hours today pouring through this site, and searching google trying to figure out a way to give my customer a credit on their account. I can't believe it is so difficult, and it's so infrequently asked.

The CC&GV contrib is great for promotion codes, but limited for the use of giving a specific customer an online credit.

All I need to be able to do is say "Here John Doe, here is your $60.00 to spend in the store" then when on his account, he sees "Hey, there is my $60.00 store credit" and then when he checks out "Hey, my $60.00 has been deducted from my final sale!"

account balance contrib is not working, either. I'm just suprised there aren't more contribs for this.

Sorry, just really am desperate for help on this..

thanks-md

Are you sure you installed it correctly? I did get it working, and havent had any probs with it.

Archived