• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

It's payback time

I know I have been a little tough on some of the stores here but it is time that everyone can pay me back. After a lot of work and help our store is now operational. Any comments, feedback, etc. would be much appreciated. The store is live so no test orders please.

I wanted to give special thanks to YesUdo, AfterDark, Clarity, cyanide, Rob123, the osC team and the many people that have helped me along the way.

The site is Java Roasters.

Thanks,

Peter

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well what can I say........

Excellent work, it's nice to see a very individual shop and i'm sure all the many hours of hard work will have been well worth it. Your colour scheme is very pleasing on the eyes.

Good luck

Derek

Wow. I love the way it guides you right though the process of purchasing coffee. I also really like the design and graphics. It's a nice simple clean layout. Just grasping as straws to give you some contructive feedback. One of the things we did on our site was to make the shopping cart header on the right hot, rather than just the little arrow. Most people will click the text or the icon you have instead of the little arrow.

You might want to think about making your header take you back to the homepage. This is a standard use model of websites, although I never really use it.

It seems kinda silly to have the click to enlarge feature when the image is the same size as the thumbnail. I would just get rid of this functionality. Besides, in firefox, the popup doesn't resize correctly anyway.

The text:

You must select an option from the dropdown

In pink doesn't really go with the site, but I guess that it makes it stand out, so it's probably OK. It just kinda looks silly. Also, my co-worked didn't notice the error, and thought your site was broken because it wasn't added to the cart. We had this problem on our site with the credit card declined page. We finally had to add a javascript alert for people to realize their card was declined.

One other problem that I see, and this is standard of osCommerce sites, is that when you update your quantity in the shopping, if you don't click the update button, then the quantity isn't actually updated. You can see how we fixed this on our site at http://oscommerce.nthcs.com It checks to see if the text has changed, then if it has, it updates regardless of if the user presses checkout, continue shopping or update. This was really annoying for some users. You really want people to purchase more quantity if they want.

I really like the cup and saucer for the infobox, cute touch. Overall a very nice site. Loved the graphics and layout, very clean. Good work!

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Arcadiauk

nice to see a very individual shop

Thank you, a lot of work went into making it individual.

Your colour scheme is very pleasing on the eyes.

I have liked the color scheme since day one.

RyanSmith

love the way it guides you right though the process of purchasing coffee
It's a nice simple clean layout.

We were trying for a simple clean layout, to get rid of all parts that were not needed. I think it works for simple and clean.

making your header take you back to the homepage

Good point, I had not noticed that it was not clickable.

kinda silly to have the click to enlarge feature

At some point that was on my to do list but it must have gotten lost, I don't think it is needed either.

In pink doesn't really go with the site, but I guess that it makes it stand out

The pink stands out against the background, I can't think of a better colour for it except maybe a yellow or a bright red.

my co-worked didn't notice the error, and thought your site was broken because it wasn't added to the cart

That is not good, I will think about how to make it stand out more. It is needed there so people do not order 1 lb of coffee with the grind "--Please Select--"

if you don't click the update button, then the quantity isn't actually updated. You can see how we fixed this on our site

Do you have the code for that?

cute touch. Overall a very nice site. Loved the graphics and layout, very clean. Good work!

Thank you.

Do you have the code for that?

I added in the javascript to shopping_cart.php

function check_qty_changed(sURL, sParams) {
 if (qty_changed || (sURL != 'checkout_shipping.php')) {
	 document.getElementById('redirect_from_cart').value = sURL;
	 document.getElementById('redirect_from_cart_params').value = sParams;
	 document.forms.cart_quantity.submit();
 } else {

window.location = '<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'); ?>';
 }
}

All the mumbojumbo about cart_params is for maintaining the attributes state when the user returns to the previous page, which we didn't end up needing because adding a product to the cart no longer takes you to the shopping_cart on our site. Then I added a hidden field

<input type="hidden" name="redirect_from_cart" id="redirect_from_cart" value="" />
	 <input type="hidden" name="redirect_from_cart_params" id="redirect_from_cart_params" value="" />

Like I said, you can get rid of the cart_params stuff. That code just needs to be inside the form.

Then I changed the two buttons to

<td class="main"><?php echo '<a href="javascript:check_qty_changed(\'' . $cart_redirect . '\', \'' . $cart_params . '\');">' . tep_image_button('button_continue_shopping.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE_SHOPPING) . '</a>'; ?></td>

<td align="right" class="main"><?php echo '<a href="javascript:check_qty_changed(\'checkout_shipping.php\', \'\');">' . tep_image_button('button_checkout.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CHECKOUT) . '</a>'; ?></td>

Then in application_top.php before

switch ($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) {

Add the following

if (isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['redirect_from_cart'])) { 
 if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['redirect_from_cart'] != '') { $goto = $HTTP_POST_VARS['redirect_from_cart']; }
}

And I think that was all of it. I may be missing something crucial there, but thats definitly most of it. When I get some time, I'll get it all together and post it as a contrib. Just been too busy around here lately, and the boss just sold 4 more osC carts on top of all the other work I already have.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Wow, thanks bad lemming. I can't take credit for the design aspect of the site, it was contracted out.

Wow, I am really blown over by your site. You have hit pretty close to the exact mark I am shooting for with my first site (debuting soon hopefully).

two thumbs up.

nice job.

the grind information pop-up window is times new roman on a white background. i guess you might have forgotten to change it.

You are correct, I had forgotten to change those pages. They are now fixed and the information is added. Let me know what you think.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated.

Peter

PS - A correction (the coupon is $12)

I know I have been a little tough on some of the stores here but it is time that everyone can pay me back.  After a lot of work and help our store is now operational.  Any comments, feedback, etc. would be much appreciated.  The store is live so no test orders please.

I wanted to give special thanks to YesUdo, AfterDark, Clarity, cyanide, Rob123, the osC team and the many people that have helped me along the way.

The site is Java Roasters.

Thanks,

Peter

The site looks great. Awesome layout and a very comfortable setup.

One question though, how did you make the footprint navigation area (section where you have Home, My Account, Cart Contents, Checkout) a background image opposed to a color?

One question though, how did you make the footprint navigation area (section where you have Home, My Account, Cart Contents, Checkout) a background image opposed to a color?

Thanks for the comments. In header.php you should see;

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">
 <tr class="headerNavigation">
   <td class="headerNavigation">  <?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></td>

Change to;

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" background="my_image.gif">
 <tr class="headerNavigation">
   <td class="headerNavigation">  <?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></td>

You will have to adjust your graphic to fit but is should work.

Peter

Peter,

Your breadcrumb appears like this:

? Home ? Regular

Maybe caused by defining HEADER_TITLE_TOP as ''? In application_top.php comment out the addition of that element to the array.

Find this code:

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);

and change it to this:

// $breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);

Bobby

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is much appreciated. :D

Mighty Mike;

The contact us page is modified to incude the information on the left side using Contact Us Choice. The departments are created using HelpDesk For osCommerce. What you do is add the departments to the new helpdesk section of the admin and then you can retrieve/respond to your emails via the osC admin instead of using an outside program such as Outlook, etc. It keeps them all together in their original thread. You have to sync with your mail server before they are updated (not a big deal). I find it works very well. The two together are not easy to get the code sorted out as they both modify the contact us page. If you want to install both let me know and I will send you the code.

radders

Thanks radders, I knew I would miss some. :blush: Thanks for the compliment also.

Chemo

All I did to change breadcrumb is remove the "Top" in the language file. I have never liked the additonal ? there. It is fixed and much better now. Thanks. :thumbsup:

The site really looks good. Thumbs up.

I had very weird thing happen in FF though.

When I clicked on checkout and got the signup screen it re-loaded all the images as if I had not been to the site before and very slowly I might add. Might just be me but I'm just saying.

Overall very nice job in making it look very different then the osC template. I've only seen that a couple of times here, Wicked being the other, though I've been gone for a while, others may have popped up.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Featured Products 1.3 | LoginBox 5.2 | LatestNews 1.1.3 | Extras for IE

When I clicked on checkout and got the signup screen it re-loaded all the images as if I had not been to the site before and very slowly I might add. Might just be me but I'm just saying.

It might be a glitch or it might be the page cache. I do not think it caches SSL pages so they do take longer to load. The other pages shoud come up pretty quickly. I have a few things to check out tonight with Firefox so I will add that to the list.

Overall very nice job in making it look very different then the osC template. I've only seen that a couple of times here, Wicked being the other, though I've been gone for a while, others may have popped up.

I wanted something original from the beginning. I have seen some spectacular sites come though here in the past year. Poops-a-Daisy is one I thought was very original and fun.

Thanks for the input.

Peter

I have seen some spectacular sites come though here in the past year.  Poops-a-Daisy is one I thought was very original and fun.

Thanks for the input.

Peter

Your welcome.

That site is pretty cool Though the green on white is weird. Makes my eyes lose focus. Need better contrast. But other then that that site is very unique and fun.

Samuel Mateo, Jr.

osC 2.2 MS2

Installed Mods:

WYSIWYG HTMLArea 1.7 | Basic Template System 1.0 | osC-Affiliate | OSC-SupportTicket

Featured Products 1.3 | LoginBox 5.2 | LatestNews 1.1.3 | Extras for IE

I don't know if you still check this. I am new to this whole oscommerce place. I am using it to develop my lingerie web site. I was looking through the live shops and yours stood out above. You have accomplished what I am looking to do in terms of customization. Making images different layout etc. I want to get away from the standard theme. I am a designer and have been learning all this in my spare time. I have been able to manipulate the cart pretty well but its still too close to the original template. I was wondering if you wouldnt mind pointing me in the direction you went to learn this or a great resource that you have or found to learn this and to be able to customize it completely as you.

If you can that would be great and I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Indiscretions Lingerie

I think it is all working in FireFox now.  The site again is Java Roasters.  All comments are appreciated.

Peter

I don't know if you still check this. I am new to this whole oscommerce place. I am using it to develop my lingerie web site. I was looking through the live shops and yours stood out above. You have accomplished what I am looking to do in terms of customization. Making images different layout etc. I want to get away from the standard theme. I am a designer and have been learning all this in my spare time. I have been able to manipulate the cart pretty well but its still too close to the original template. I was wondering if you wouldnt mind pointing me in the direction you went to learn this or a great resource that you have or found to learn this and to be able to customize it completely as you.

If you can that would be great and I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Indiscretions Lingerie

The site was designed by Afterdark and yesudo. They have put some templates in the contribution section that you can look at. If you have a specific question I might be able to help but the broad questions are above my ability.

Peter

Archived