• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ready to go live

jodymeme

Hello. I'm new to OScommerce as of this afternoon. I've set up my shop and have most things configured. I want to go live, but at this point I have run into two problems:

: On my test account, when I go to update my cart, I get an error saying "Unable to determine the page link!" How do I correct this?

: I currently have this message on my front page:

"This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional."

If this is indeed true, what step do I need to take from here in order for my shop to go live?

Any and all assistance is appreciated, I thank you in advance.

Hello.  I'm new to OScommerce as of this afternoon.  I've set up my shop and have most things configured.  I want to go live, but at this point I have run into two problems:

: On my test account, when I go to update my cart, I get an error saying "Unable to determine the page link!"  How do I correct this? 

: I currently have this message on my front page:

"This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional."

If this is indeed true, what step do I need to take from here in order for my shop to go live? 

Any and all assistance is appreciated, I thank you in advance.

Hi! I may be able to point tyou in the right direction to the second issue. Go to includes/language/english.php and find index.php. In this page you will be able to edit the information of your intro or index starting at define(TEXT_MAIN','This is a default setup... If you were to look at your index page, you would see this same discription in section (2) Editing Page Text.

I will help look for info on part one too. Hope this is of some help.

Allison :rolleyes:

www.GiftsYouWantToKeep.com

We help each other, to help ourselves!

Aloha Allison!

Liken to wrinkles, the many paths of my life not only altered my destiny, but my appearance.

Poetry, the artistry of plying ones soul to the empty canvases of life. A vision without sight. A verse without darkness. Lighting each day with a prose of beauty and love.

Hi! I may be able to point tyou in the right direction to the second issue. Go to includes/language/english.php and find index.php. In this page you will be able to edit the information of your intro or index starting at define(TEXT_MAIN','This is a default setup...  If you were to look at your index page, you would see this same discription in section (2) Editing Page Text.

I will help look for info on part one too. Hope this is of some help.

Allison  :rolleyes:

www.GiftsYouWantToKeep.com

Thank you so much! This is very kind of you! I'm modifying my index page right now!

Don't use the osCommerce File Manager to edit files, it causes parse errors. Download the file, take a backup, edit in a plain text editor like Notepad (not Wordpad or Word), then upload. If it doesn't work then restore from the backup you took.

If you use apostrophies in text they must be 'escaped' with a backslash, as in:

Let's = wrong

Let\'s = right

Vger

Don't use the osCommerce File Manager to edit files, it causes parse errors.  Download the file, take a backup, edit in a plain text editor like Notepad (not Wordpad or Word), then upload.  If it doesn't work then restore from the backup you took.

If you use apostrophies in text they must be 'escaped' with a backslash, as in:

Let's = wrong

Let\'s = right

Vger

Well, I did do a cut and paste thing when I went to make changes in the file manager, but for some reason when I put the original code back in it screwed up and gave me more parse errors. I'm not sure what to do now, other than perhaps scrap the whole thing and start again from scratch.

Hi,Hi,

download a fresh copy of osCommerce from this web site, unzip it, and you will have copies of every file for future referance too.

Replace the files you have edited with the fresh unziped ones.

Now you should be up and going again......

About your front page, download and install this contrib......

Define Mainpage

U might want to use this version there: 21 Jul 2003 - Define MainPage 1.3.3

As for the error in your shopping cart..try this.....

go to ur admin configuration/my store

If "Use Searce Engine Urls" is set to "True" change it to "False"

B)

Hi,Hi,

download a fresh copy of osCommerce from this web site, unzip it, and you will have copies of every file for future referance too.

Replace the files you have edited with the fresh unziped ones.

Now you should be up and going again......

About your front page, download and install this contrib......

Define Mainpage

U might want to use this version there: 21 Jul 2003 - Define MainPage 1.3.3

As for the error in your shopping cart..try this.....

go to ur admin configuration/my store

If "Use Searce Engine Urls" is set to "True" change it to "False"

B)

Thank you. Thank you all. I did have to uninstall and reinstall the whole program, but it didn't take long to set everything up again. I like it, very intuitive interface, easy to use for novices like me. The cart suggestion worked, I'm no longer having problems with my cart.

I downloaded Define MainPage 1.3.3 and it installed fine in my file manager. The only problem is with the instructions included in the package. There are two documents: one is /installation.txt and the other is oringal_docs/install.txt. Both are throwing me off a little. For example, in /installation.txt it tells me to take a file path that doesn't exist: there is no file path catalog/index.php anywhere in my file manager. Is this something I have to create before going any further? Will it work if I do this? Should I be bothering with these instructions?

As it takes a while sometimes for answers to appear, I'll tinker around because I've done a backup.

Once I get the front page issue resolved, I'm ready to rock n roll. This is the only thing that's been giving me a headache.

Again, I thank any and all respondents in advance, I appreciate the help.

The osCommerce set of files comes in a folder called 'catalog' and a lot of people choose to install the site in a folder on their domain, like http://yourdomain.com/catalog/

If you have installed osCommerce into the root of your domain (no catalog folder) then ignore the reference to 'catalog'

Vger

*sigh* It seems no matter how many different approaches I've taken to this problem today, I still can't edit the front page. I tried it a couple of different ways through Define Mainpage, I went and manually messed with the index file, I followed to the letter the instructions for editing that were actually given on the front page, but no matter what I do I still get parse errors. I didn't think it would be so hard, it looks so simple: just remove the text within the defining parameters. If I even delete one character it throws it off for some reason (I did that to test it!)

I'll keep plugging away, and thank you once more for another (hopefully) helpful hint.

Archived