• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Question...

Totally Lost

These are some instructions for a automatic thumbnail config...when i install it, my site no longer works, I think it's because I add this info below incorrectly. I add it incorrectly because I dont understand what these instructions are....

I go to the bottom of the file and insert "if your website has gif" and all the text below it..

Or...

Do i go to the bottom of the file and insert "function thumbimage and all the text below it?.... :huh:

Go to the bottom of the File and insert before the ?>

if your Webspace has GIF read and write ability delete GIF in the following text at $not_supported_formats = array ("GIF"); // Write in capital Letters!!

function thumbimage ($image, $x, $y, $aspectratio, $resize, $cachedir){

/*##############################################

# - Thumbnail-Script v1.3 - #

# Generating thumbnails 'on-the-fly' with PHP #

These are some instructions for a automatic thumbnail config...when i install it, my site no longer works, I think it's because I add this info below incorrectly.  I add it incorrectly because I dont understand what these instructions are....

I go to the bottom of the file and insert "if your website has gif" and all the text below it..

Or...

Do i go to the bottom of the file and insert "function thumbimage and all the text below it?.... :huh:

Go to the bottom of the File and insert before the ?>

if your Webspace has GIF read and write ability delete GIF in the following text at $not_supported_formats = array ("GIF"); // Write in capital Letters!!

function thumbimage ($image, $x, $y, $aspectratio, $resize, $cachedir){

/*##############################################

#          - Thumbnail-Script v1.3 -          #

# Generating thumbnails 'on-the-fly' with PHP  #

I got this working...(although not very well) as my pictures are still kinda screwy..does anyone have any ideas?

www.khmersilks.com/shop

Sorry, but the auto-thumbnailer is not working. The file size of the images is the same whether they are large or small.

If the images are distorted (too wide/too tall) then this can be corrected in 'admin' under Configuration --> Images by only setting the width of large and small images and leaving the height blank.

Vger

Sorry, but the auto-thumbnailer is not working.  The file size of the images is the same whether they are large or small.

If the images are distorted (too wide/too tall) then this can be corrected in 'admin' under Configuration --> Images by only setting the width of large and small images and leaving the height blank.

Vger

Um....ok. Im a bit of a newbie, so what do I have to do exactly to get my thumbnails looking as good as my originals only....smaller.

"setting the width of large and small images and leaving the height blank".....could you explain this alittle clearer for me....I should go to the 'images' file and change each pictures dimensions individually?

IF this is right, and i have 100 products, do i need to manually configure 100 pictures?

When your 'auto-thumbnailer' is working correctly then when you upload an image a smaller version (physically and in file size) should be automatically created. You will have to go back through what you did to see where you made a mistake or left something undone.

With regard to the images - no. You go to your osCommerce 'admin' control panel, look under Configuration tab to where it says Images, click on that and you'll see that the small and large image width and height is set there. Keep the image width but delete the entry for height (make it blank). This allows images of varying sizes to keep the same width but allows the height to vary in relation to the original ratio on the image (width to height ratio).

Vger

Um....ok. Im a bit of a newbie, so what do I have to do exactly to get my thumbnails looking as good as my originals only....smaller.

"setting the width of large and small images and leaving the height blank".....could you explain this alittle clearer for me....I should go to the 'images' file and change each pictures dimensions individually?

IF this is right, and i have 100 products, do i need to manually configure 100 pictures?

Vger...

Yes, great I understand. I have adjusted my height to '0'...but the images are still looking fairly crappy....(although they are a much better picture in relation to the original)

I have re-tried the contribe 3 times now...hasn't worked once. I am sure I am not doing something right, is there another option for me?

Do you think, if i do get this 'auto thumbnailer' working correctly that my pictures will indeed look the way they should?

www.khmersilks.com/shop

The images look fine now (in terms of quality). You're not going to get great quality on the internet, unless you save the images as very high quality (and then they'll take forever to load). In future though try to crop or shoot the images so that they will appear roughly the same height.

The auto-thumbnailer will not do anything for the quality of the images.

Vger

The images look fine now (in terms of quality).  You're not going to get great quality on the internet, unless you save the images as very high quality (and then they'll take forever to load).  In future though try to crop or shoot the images so that they will appear roughly the same height.

The auto-thumbnailer will not do anything for the quality of the images.

Vger

Hmm....well from my view point the thumbnails are the same file size as the original and about half the quality. If these lesser quality thumbnails are going to take just as long to load, i might as well just keep all my pictures in their original size right?

There has got to be a way to get a decent looking thumbnail. If you click on one of my pictures "enlarge picture" you will see a fairly nice photo, i want that standard of quality to be reflected in my thumbnails....am i being overly optimistic?

Archived