The e-commerce.

PayPal SMS payment notification

philcartmell

Hi,

I've wrote a simple feature for sellers that use paypal that means you

can receive an SMS message to your mobile telephone when you receive a

payment. I am currently writing some admin screens to allow a large

range of configuration options, and full compatibiliy/notifcation

rules for subcriptions and other types of payments.

More details are below:

http://www.philcartmell.com/services/cubec...tification.html

Feel free to send enhancment requests.

Kind Regards

Phil Cartmell

<cynical mode>

Sorry - can't see the use of it myself. So, you've received a payment. So what?

IPN will tell you this via E-mail anyway.

Isn't this just an attempt by paypal to dig their hands a little deeper into your pockets?

</cynical mode>

No I believe this is a valuable feature that is currently not available direct from PayPal.

Especially for smaller e-store owners that dont manage there stores full time or have second jobs where its easier (and more discreet) to receive a message to their telephone than check email or webmail.

OK - am I to understand that you can't have the IPN configured to Email you AND an SMS sent? How about if I want both?

Ahhh - I see now, it's not paypal providing the service. Sorry about that.

But my question remains - what use exactly is it to just _know_ that you've received a payment? You still have to go through some process to fulfil the order anyway.

Plus, I think the increasing number of mobile devices out there that allow you to check Email, run IM etc are going to render _all_ sms-based notification systems redundant eventually.

Good luck with it, though!

Hi,

Yes PayPal will email you regardless of any IPN setting, whether you have a URL, or a default IPN turned off.

I do understand your thoughts regarding more intelligent devices, but really this is for smaller users who cant check email on demand when out and about. Handy if they are away from desk but need to know when an order arrives incase they offer next day delivery on orders places before a certain time - but dont want to waste time finding a PC to check email on at x everyday.

Hi,

Yes PayPal will email you regardless of any IPN setting, whether you have a URL, or a default IPN turned off.

I do understand your thoughts regarding more intelligent devices, but really this is for smaller users who cant check email on demand when out and about. Handy if they are away from desk but need to know when an order arrives incase they offer next day delivery on orders places before a certain time - but dont want to waste time finding a PC to check email on at x everyday.

This seems like a good contribution, but i woudl find it more useful to SMS a message to me when osc detects an order, in case paypal isn't the only payment method you offer.

If you could receive an SMS with the product(s) ordered and shipping method selected it would be great!

• 3 weeks later...
This seems like a good contribution, but i woudl find it more useful to SMS a message to me when osc detects an order, in case paypal isn't the only payment method you offer.

If you could receive an SMS with the product(s) ordered and shipping method selected it would be great!

Remembered seeing something, search in the contributions for sms, there are two, one two txt the customer that the order has been delivered, one for the store owner that an order has been placed, not tried them yet, busy elsewhere, just came across them recently

Archived