• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

No Session Until User Login

NeedleJack

Hi:

I'm so perplexed on this one. I use a shared SSL - which by the looks of the forum and the many threads I read is not how I am going to be able to accomplish this. My thing is this - we are #1 on Yahoo, MSN, etc etc. But we are not getting picked up by Google. My hunch is that it has to do with Session IDs. I recently installed the Ultimate SEO Contribution which does change the way the URL looks in the browser. However, when I use one of those dummy programs to see how the search engines spider our site it shows the SID. I've tried forcing cookies which I now know doesn't work unless you own the SSL and not shared. All I want to do is create a SID KILLER that will basically say if you haven't logged in then no session. Is there anyone that can help with my dillema? Thanks in advance.

Hi:

I'm so perplexed on this one.  I use a shared SSL - which by the looks of the forum and the many threads I read is not how I am going to be able to accomplish this.  My thing is this - we are #1 on Yahoo, MSN, etc etc.  But we are not getting picked up by Google.  My hunch is that it has to do with Session IDs.  I recently installed the Ultimate SEO Contribution which does change the way the URL looks in the browser.  However, when I use one of those dummy programs to see how the search engines spider our site it shows the SID.  I've tried forcing cookies which I now know doesn't work unless you own the SSL and not shared.  All I want to do is create a SID KILLER that will basically say if you haven't logged in then no session.  Is there anyone that can help with my dillema? Thanks in advance.

there is no need for that and would strongly advise against it.

as long as you make sure you have prevent spider sessions enabled and your spider.txt file up to date, google, yahoo and the rest will not get a session id, ever.

Treasurer MFC

there is no need for that and would strongly advise against it.

as long as you make sure you have prevent spider sessions enabled and your spider.txt file up to date, google, yahoo and the rest will not get a session id, ever.

How do I deal with the search engines that index that I don't know about? This is why it was so important to not create a session until login.

Hi,Hi,

There is a contrib which deals with this Session Start Mod

It has a few bugs to be ironed out.....but it works.....

How do I deal with the search engines that index that I don't know about?  This is why it was so important to not create a session until login.

if you disable sessions, no language and currency and other settings will be retained.

most of the spiders known to date are in the spiders.txt file and the ones that are not are irrelevant for your business.

if you still want to do something, then set the $spider_flag to true is the client has no browser language setting (all spiders don't). I have only encountered 1 real user on my site who did not have a browser language set.

Treasurer MFC

Archived