• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Set limit on number of thumbnails per page

Pink

I just put a test site online and noticed that the pages containing a relatively large number of thumbnails, say 12 or more, were fairly slow loading.

One solution which came to mind would be to limit the number of thumbnails per page, as I have seen often in various sites.

However, I'm not sure how to go about this in osCommerce.

If someone could steer me in the right direction I would be quite grateful.

-Pink

Something else to consider:

What are the size of your images? Are you using thumbnail images and big ones? Or are you letting your main image be resized down to a thumbnail?

If the latter, you might want to look at uploading thumbnail images as well as your regular-sized images. There are contributions (such as Big Image) which will allow you to specify two or more separate images per product.

If you don't have prepared thumbnail images, I believe there are contributions to handle the creation of those for you too.

It would be well worth the effort to look into these. My thumbnail images range in size from 3-4k for the most part, so my pages load fairly quickly. If you're having osc handle the resizing, and using images that weigh in from 20k+ to begin with, you'll definitely see a difference by adding thumbnails.

HTH,

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Archived