• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Do all of the images have to be same size?

Lalla

Hello all,

I've run into a problem with my images. I'm building a new site for some friends of mine. I had built their original site with Front Page and need to be able to use those images from the old site as well as new ones. On the product page, the image is half the size of the original pic...then you click to enlarge and it shows full size.

Ok, here is my problem :

Old Site images are 233x233 (pix)

SOME images for new site need to be 326x233 (pix) among other sizes.

When I set the SMALL pic size in Admin, I put in half of my original pic, which is fine when they were all the same size .... but now I want to use different sizes, what do I need to do?

I've been looking into placing the 233x233 images into a 326x233 image and making the overhand transparent, but this isn't going quite so well. I can get the transparent when I save the images as GIFs but lost A LOT of Photo Quality. I can get the Photo Quality by saving as PNGs but can't get the sides to be transparent. (BTW, I'm using MS Image Composer) I can try and make the overhang the same color as my page, but when you click on the image to make it full size, it opens in the little window with a white background and draws your attention to the overhangs and away from the product.

Here is the test site : Wares Ethnic Ceramics

Right now the samples I'm messing around with are under the Black category. The titles do not match the pics of course, but these are the samples I'm describing :

The Watermelon (actually a Boy & Girl on a bench) is the original JPG image turned into a GIF with a transparent background. Sides work perfect, but image terrible!

The Log Bench (actually the Girl Angel Praying on a shelf) is the original JPG image turned into a PNG with a transparent background, but something not set right...so shows gray sides. BUT, image quality is still very good.

:blink:

Any suggestions? (BESIDES rescan the old images and start from scratch...that is NOT an option!)

Thanks!!

Lalla

Hello all,

I've run into a problem with my images. I'm building a new site for some friends of mine. I had built their original site with Front Page and need to be able to use those images from the old site as well as new ones. On the product page, the image is half the size of the original pic...then you click to enlarge and it shows full size.

Ok, here is my problem :

Old Site images are 233x233 (pix)

SOME images for new site need to be 326x233 (pix) among other sizes.

When I set the SMALL pic size in Admin, I put in half of my original pic, which is fine when they were all the same size .... but now I want to use different sizes, what do I need to do?

I've been looking into placing the 233x233 images into a 326x233 image and making the overhand transparent, but this isn't going quite so well. I can get the transparent when I save the images as GIFs but lost A LOT of Photo Quality. I can get the Photo Quality by saving as PNGs but can't get the sides to be transparent. (BTW, I'm using MS Image Composer)  I can try and make the overhang the same color as my page, but when you click on the image to make it full size, it opens in the little window with a white background and draws your attention to the overhangs and away from the product.

Here is the test site : Wares Ethnic Ceramics

Right now the samples I'm messing around with are under the Black category. The titles do not match the pics of course, but these are the samples I'm describing :

The Watermelon (actually a Boy & Girl on a bench)  is the original JPG image turned into a GIF with a transparent background. Sides work perfect, but image terrible!

The Log Bench (actually the Girl Angel Praying on a shelf) is the original JPG image turned into a PNG with a transparent background, but something not set right...so shows gray sides. BUT, image quality is still very good.

:blink:

Any suggestions? (BESIDES rescan the old images and start from scratch...that is NOT an option!)

Thanks!!

Lalla

Seems like you are doing a lot of work to re-size the originals and attempting to retain quality - Images who needs them :D

Here are a few ideas

1) Cut your losses - relying on the image resize function in osC will NOT deliver picture quality from originals that vary in size as much as your seem to do. (also with the size of images you have to pay attention to page load speed - another KEY point against relying on the osC resize function which loads image in original size and then displays smaller size)

2) You say re-scanning is not an option - In the circumstances you have few choices so don't rule it out !

3) have a read of http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140462 - Picsizer may be the tool you need to get to half way house with your different sized images in batch mode (i.e as opposed to changing images one at a time.

hth

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Hi Charles,

Thanks for responding to my post. I'm not sure if I understand it all (having more then a blonde moment...having a very blonde DAY). I've read and re-read over it and I"m not sure if we are on the same "page" here.

1) Cut your losses - relying on the image resize function in osC will NOT deliver picture quality from originals that vary in size as much as your seem to do. (also with the size of images you have to pay attention to page load speed - another KEY point against relying on the osC resize function which loads image in original size and then displays smaller size)

Your saying to cut my losses...by what? posting horrible images ...oh yeah, that will really sell stuff :D ! IF I don't rely on the Image resize function of osC, then WHAT do I rely on?

2) You say re-scanning is not an option - In the circumstances you have few choices so don't rule it out !

When you no longer have the original printed cataglogs that some of those came from years ago...then you DO have to rule it out. Also, it took A LOT of work to edit some of those images so that they didn't show pieces that my friends do not carry...DEFINATELY not an option! :'(

3) have a read of [url=http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140462]http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140462[/url] - Picsizer may be the tool you need to get to half way house with your different sized images in batch mode (i.e as opposed to changing images one at a time.

No, I haven't read that ,but I will definately look into it! Thank you! As far as Picsizer, I don't need a tool to resize the images, I have tools for that and some that will do them in batches, the problem is still with the fact that the images have to be related in size.....and getting rid of the overhang. I did find out last night that since all of my images (there are really only 2 sizes at this point) are the same height, I can set the Small Image height to half (or really any scale) of the original and it works correctly, now I just have to have it look the right scale for the Product List...does that make sense?

Anyway, Thank you so much again for responding to my post :) Can you tell me what the other option is to having the images load fullsize and then shrink thru osC? There must be a Contribution SOMEWHERE???!!??? :blink:

Thanks again,

Lalla

www.NothingButRomance.com

www.WaresEthnicCeramics.com/catalog (work in progress)

Hi Charles,

Thanks for responding to my post. I'm not sure if I understand it all (having more then a blonde moment...having a very blonde DAY). I've read and re-read over it and I"m not sure if we are on the same "page" here.

Your saying to cut my losses...by what? posting horrible images ...oh yeah, that will really sell stuff  :D ! IF I don't rely on the Image resize function of osC, then WHAT do I rely on?

When you no longer have the original printed cataglogs that some of those came from years ago...then you DO have to rule it out. Also, it took A LOT of work to edit some of those images so that they didn't show pieces that my friends do not carry...DEFINATELY not an option!  :'(

3) have a read of [url=http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140462]http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140462[/url] - Picsizer may be the tool you need to get to half way house with your different sized images in batch mode (i.e as opposed to changing images one at a time.

No, I haven't read that ,but I will definately look into it! Thank you!  As far as Picsizer, I don't need a tool to resize the images, I have tools for that and some that will do them in batches, the problem is still with the fact that the images have to be related in size.....and getting rid of the overhang. I did find out last night that since all of my images (there are really only 2 sizes at this point) are the same height, I can set the Small Image height to half (or really any scale) of the original and it works correctly, now I just have to have it look the right scale for the Product List...does that make sense?

Anyway, Thank you so much again for responding to my post  :)  Can you tell me what the other option is to having the images load fullsize and then shrink thru osC? There must be a Contribution SOMEWHERE???!!??? :blink:

Thanks again,

Lalla

www.NothingButRomance.com

www.WaresEthnicCeramics.com/catalog (work in progress)

Lalla - you seem pretty clued up so forgive my not understanding your problem correctly.

Once you have created the PNG's can you not crop them to get rid of the sides ? How many images are we talking about editing ?

Charles

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Lalla - you seem pretty clued up so forgive my not understanding your problem correctly.

Once you have created the PNG's can you not crop them to get rid of the sides ? How many images are we talking about editing ?

Charles

Ok, now I KNOW for sure we're not understanding eachother.... the only reason why I'm trying to make them PNGs is so that the overhang will be transparent. Thats so that all images can be the same size... 326x233. If I make them PNGs and then crop the size....well....I'd have no reason in the first place to make them PNGs, I'd just leave them as is. TO make all of my images the same width, I can't "crop" those that are smaller....do you see what I mean now? I'm not taking old images and making them smaller, I'm needing to make them larger...which as everyone knows, you can't just up the size because they get really ugly that way...so you have to paste the smaller image into the larger "frame". I don't know any other way to explain it...so I'm not sure why no one gets it. :(

Lalla,

I don't know if I understand all you need to do, but I also have pictures that are different sizes. In the knowlege base, there is a solution to this. In the admin section, my store, images, you have options to set the size of your images. You can set either the widths and leave all heights blank or set a height and leave widths blank. Don't put "0" just leave it blank. This will set the height in proportion to the width you specify or, vice versa. the width to the height specified. If you are not sure what I mean, look in the Knowledge Base under images. Hope this helps.

Angie

Ok, now I KNOW for sure we're not understanding eachother.... the only reason why I'm trying to make them PNGs is so that the overhang will be transparent. Thats so that all images can be the same size... 326x233. If I make them PNGs and then crop the size....well....I'd have no reason in the first place to make them PNGs, I'd just leave them as is. TO make all of my images the same width, I can't "crop" those that are smaller....do you see what I mean now? I'm not taking old images and making them smaller, I'm needing to make them larger...which as everyone knows, you can't just up the size because they get really ugly that way...so you have to paste the smaller image into the larger "frame".  I don't know any other way to explain it...so I'm not sure why no one gets it.  :(

I understand now - and not really sure how you can do this without losing image quality as you have already indicated.

Will the store owner not accept downsizing of the lartger images to the smaller originals size ?

Charles

Not sure if this will make sense but if you already have different size images for each item there is a contribution that allows for mutlible images per product (couple of contribs actually) Like small, medium and large... you could instal one of those and then in admin where you specify the image sizes don't specify any... leave them blank.

That will let you have different size images for small(thumbnails), medium(product page) and large pics(pop up page). I did it on one site I made. Would be a pain if you have already entered all of your images because the second and third pic will have to be specified per product but on a new store it works great.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Archived