• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick question about databases backup/restore...

What happens if you interrupt the restoration process? :-"

I ask, obviously, because I just did it -- my browser timed out or something before it finished. Do I need to worry about this?

What happens if you interrupt the restoration process?  :-"

I ask, obviously, because I just did it -- my browser timed out or something before it finished.  Do I need to worry about this?

Basically, you get to do it again. :o

Seriously, though,

Most mySQL installations have an upload limit of 2 megs. If you are uploading a larger files, you need to contact your host to increase the file size to an amount larger than your upload, or you can use a text editor (notepad.exe) to split the file into smaller segments and upload each segment individually.

You weren't too specific on what you were doing when the error occured, so hope this will help.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

Basically, you get to do it again. :o

Seriously, though,

Most mySQL installations have an upload limit of 2 megs. If you are uploading a larger files, you need to contact your host to increase the file size to an amount larger than your upload, or you can use a text editor (notepad.exe) to split the file into smaller segments and upload each segment individually.

You weren't too specific on what you were doing when the error occured, so hope this will help.

2 megs? Heh, the filesize is almost 7. :) Guess that explains it, thanks.

2 megs?  Heh, the filesize is almost 7. :)  Guess that explains it, thanks.

Use your text editor or Excel to split the 7 meg file into 4 or 5 smaller ones. If your hosting company will change the upload side, then you won't have to do the splits. Some will, some won't.

GEOTEX from Houston, TX

(George)

If there are DB restrictions from your host.  Try using BigDump.  It might save you time and headache from splitting your database manually.

Even better, do what I do for things of this nature. Use FTP to send the .sql file up the host, then SSH in and do a command-line entry of the .sql into the DB engine. It will be way faster and more reliable all around.

Even better, do what I do for things of this nature.  Use FTP to send the .sql file up the host, then SSH in and do a command-line entry of the .sql into the DB engine.  It will be way faster and more reliable all around.

Agreed! It is certainly the best solution if SSH is available. Unfortunately, most shared hosting solutions do not give you that power and flexibility.

CobraCards, if you are using a feature-rich shared hosting, VPS or Dedicated and SSH is available then take the advantage. If not use BigDump.

ssh is secure shell access to the 'unix shell' similar to the dos command prompt. allows you to move around using command line instructions. the better hosts allow you to do that.

Archived