• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Picture size query

JemCraft

I have searched the forums with no luck and tried the contributions - and now have headache!!! - but cannot find simple (ok make that really easy!) solution to this.

I started off with having pictures on my site of my products that when the customer clicked on they enlarged. However, oscommerce was squishing all my product pictures into a little square and I didn't want them to be distorted in this way,so I asked on the forums and was told to remove the width from the cataolg/configuration/images/ 'image width'.I did this and my pictures were so gigantic that they took over the whole screen. I therefore resized all the pictures manually individually - using paint, and a lot of time! - and this seemed to make them ok sizesfor the page......HOWEVER, now when a customer clicks on the enlarge image, a window pops up with the image the exact same size???

Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong???

Thanks

Jemma

I have searched the forums with no luck and tried the contributions - and now have headache!!! - but cannot find simple (ok make that really easy!) solution to this.

I started off with having pictures on my site of my products that when the customer clicked on they enlarged. However, oscommerce was squishing all my product pictures into a little square and I didn't want them to be distorted in this way,so I asked on the forums and was told to remove the width from the cataolg/configuration/images/ 'image width'.I did this and my pictures were so gigantic that they took over the whole screen. I therefore resized all the pictures manually individually - using paint, and a lot of time! - and this seemed to make them ok sizesfor the page......HOWEVER, now when a customer clicks on the enlarge image, a window pops up with the image the exact same size???

Can anyone tell me where I have gone wrong???

Thanks

Jemma

:D I may have a clue for you, but first show us your link so we can look at your pages. I have used paint with much success in resizing by attribute alone. With almost 200 items in my store and still growing it isn't as hard as it seems. First thing is, it sounds like you resized your pictures instead of resizing your attribs. For example I use .jpg .gif and png images that as much as 1280x? Instead reducing the image I frame it squarely to 1280x1280. Let us have a look at your site and see what you see. ;)

We help each other, to help ourselves!

Aloha Allison!

Liken to wrinkles, the many paths of my life not only altered my destiny, but my appearance.

Poetry, the artistry of plying ones soul to the empty canvases of life. A vision without sight. A verse without darkness. Lighting each day with a prose of beauty and love.

:D  I may have a clue for you, but first show us your link so we can look at your pages. I have used paint with much success in resizing by attribute alone. With almost 200 items in my store and still growing it isn't as hard as it seems. First thing is, it sounds like you resized your pictures instead of resizing your attribs. For example I use .jpg .gif and png images that as much as 1280x? Instead reducing the image I frame it squarely to 1280x1280. Let us have a look at your site and see what you see.  ;)

the link to my site is....jemcraftmemories.com/shop

thanks

Hi Jemma

Rather than constraining your product images by both height and width, or by removing all constraint, try removing the value for height and just having a width value (or the other way around if you prefer).

That way your images will be proportionally reduced in size.

If you add in the enlarge image contribution you will be able to upload 2 images per product - one thumbnail, one larger - if you prefer.

HTH

Sadie

Hi Jemma

Rather than constraining your product images by both height and width, or by removing all constraint, try removing the value for height and just having a width value (or the other way around if you prefer).?

That way your images will be proportionally reduced in size.

If you add in the enlarge image contribution you will be able to upload 2 images per product - one thumbnail, one larger - if you prefer.

HTH

Sadie

Will this contribution make the tumbnail the ne that appears on the site and then the larger one appear when you hit 'enlarge picture'???

thanks for your advice so far much appriciated.

JUST CHECK THE CONTRIBUTIONS AND CAN'T FIND THE ONE YOU MENTIONED, DO YOU HAVE A DIRECT LINK FOR IT???

THANKS

JEMMA

Jemma

• 1 month later...

Hi Jemma

Yes it would mean that the catalogue has 2 images per product listing - one thumbnail image and one larger that appears in the popup box.

it speeds up browsing time and also means that the thumbnails appear clearer.

I'll try and locate the relevant link in just a moment :)

Sadie

Archived