• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

database import

prolix

hello.

i dont know what to do at the database import page. is this page looking for another server other than the one it is installed on? i have a .dbf containing 2000+

products that i want to import, i put that .dbf file on the server and enter my server information and get:

The error message returned is:

Host 'jupiter.hiddenservers.com' is blocked because of many connection errors. Unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'

is my database server diffrent than my oScommerce host server? wear does mysql fit into all this? what do i need to do to import a database here? sorry for being so uninformed. thanks.

Are you on a commercial hosting service? If so call their tech support and tell them about the error and they can "flush" the system for you. I've seen this error before and thats how I resolved it. If your running your own, read the manual and flush it yourself.

Forgive my ignorance because I'm not familiar with *.dbf files but are you sure the file is compatible with MySQL? I use *.sql files.

If you search the web for dbf to sql converters none that I saw support mySQL. You might try using Intelligent converters conversion tools to get your data in the right format first then insert it.

Might try using a mySQL application like Navicat for database administration for some task, I find it easier to work with. I go back and forth between Navicat and phpMyAdmin while performing task depending on which app is handier.

thanks i will try navicat. and contact my host. but, i am not familiar with mysql. i dont even know what it is really. i downloaded mysql and phpMyAdmin but dont see how to install them. i am really in the dark here. all i know about internet is uploading *.html and *.swf via ftp. i really need an overview on how databases and mysql fit into this .

Your going to have to book up on this stuff my friend. First thing I can say is pick hosting services carefully. There are many commercial hosting services that provide mysql and phpmyadmin in the default set up. Of course your looking for a Linux/Unix based server running mysql and PHP. There are also hosting services that provide an auto install of OScommerce too. 2 that I know are hostrocket.com and successfulhosting.com. These are in the USA.

Your going to have to do some reading. Honestly OScommerce isn't for your basic HTMLer but if you climb the learning curve you will be 2 steps above where you are now.

To upload an existing dbase you may use ms access with the mysql odbc tool, download it from mysql.com, install, then in access click export>file type: odbc dbase>select your odbc connection... you can also import tables to access (or excel) with this method

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

anyone? please? just point me in the right direction. ill take a link to a rescorce. anything. or just tell me to shuttup and lie down. anything.

I worked with Dbase files for a while (using Clipper/Fox Pro); despite the fact that M$ Access and other M$ tools will tell you that they can import .DBF files, not all .DBF files are alike, believe me.

How are you going with the data conversion ?

Peter

Archived