• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Reviews in Product Display v2.0

PopTheTop

This mod will show the reviews for a product on its description page (if any).

Set the number of reviews you'd like shown by changing the number in the Admin » Configuration » Maximum Values.

A setting of 0 will disable this mod completely (default setting is 3). If disabled, it uses the original osC code.

Download from:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,734

L8r,

PopTheTop

Published osC Contributions:

- eCheck Payment Module v3.1

- Reviews in Product Display v2.0

- Fancier Invoice & Packingslip v6.1

- Admin Notes / Customer Notes v2.2

- Customer Zip & State Validation v2.2

- Search Box with Dropdown Category Menu v1.0

Pop your camper's top today!

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an updated description...

This mod will show the reviews for a product on its description page (if any) in a shaded nice box. If there are no reviews, it will state that there are no reviews for this product and displays a "Write Review" button under it.

Reviews will be shown newest first from the given product and current language. Additionally there is an added "Write Review" button, and a "More Reviews" button that will disappear when not needed.

Set the number of reviews you'd like shown by changing the number in the Admin ? Configuration ? Maximum Values.

A setting of 0 will disable this mod completely (default setting is 3). If disabled, it uses the original osC code.

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

ONE more thing...

I removed the stock Reviews button in the box where the Add to Cart button is located. I have replaced it with a "Notifications" button if the customer is not registered to be notified of product changes and if they are, a new "Remove Notifications" button will be displayed.

If they are a guest and try to click on the buttons, it will make them login or create an account to use them.

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

Hello,

I tried to install tje module on my system but when i copied the code snippet over to the product_info.php page it shows a blank white page. I'm really not sure what I've done.

The code I'm using is:

<?php

if (MAX_REVIEWS_IN_PRODUCT_INFO == '0') {

echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100', '2') . '<br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS, tep_get_all_get_params()) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_reviews.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_REVIEWS) . '</a> ';

}

if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$product_notification_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as count from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_NOTIFICATIONS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and customers_id = '" . (int)$customer_id . "'");

$check = tep_db_fetch_array($product_notification_query);

$notification_exists = (($check['count'] > 0) ? true : false);

} else {

$notification_exists = false;

}

if ($notification_exists == true) {

echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('action')) . 'action=notify_remove', $request_type) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_remove_notifications.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_REMOVE_NOTIFICATIONS) . '</a>';

} else {

echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('action')) . 'action=notify', $request_type) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_notifications.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_NOTIFICATIONS) . '</a>';

}

?>

</td>

<!-- Wish List 2.3 Start -->

<td align="center" class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_hidden_field('wishlist_action', 'add_wishlist') . tep_image_submit('button_wishlist.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_ADD_WISHLIST, 'onClick="document.cart_quantity.action=\''. tep_href_link(FILENAME_WISHLIST, tep_get_all_get_params(array('action')) . 'action=add_wishlist') . '\';document.cart_quantity.submit();"'); ?></td>

<!-- Wish List 2.3 End -->

<td class="main" align="right"><?php echo tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id', $product_info['products_id']) . tep_image_submit('button_in_cart.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_IN_CART); ?></td>

<td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

</tr>

<!-- -->

<?php

if (MAX_REVIEWS_IN_PRODUCT_INFO == '0') {

$reviews_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as count from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");

$reviews = tep_db_fetch_array($reviews_query);

if ($reviews['count'] > 0) {

?>

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '15'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<TD ALIGN="left" CLASS="main"> <FONT COLOR="#006699"><STRONG><?php echo TEXT_CURRENT_REVIEWS . '</STRONG></FONT> ' . $reviews['count']; ?></TD>

</tr>

<?php

}

}

?>

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '45'); ?></td>

</tr>

<?php

if (MAX_REVIEWS_IN_PRODUCT_INFO > 0) {

$reviews_query = tep_db_query("select r.reviews_id, rd.reviews_text, r.reviews_rating, r.date_added, r.customers_name from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " r, " . TABLE_REVIEWS_DESCRIPTION . " rd where r.products_id = '" . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and rd.reviews_id = r.reviews_id and rd.languages_id = '" . $languages_id . "' order by r.reviews_id DESC");

$num_rows = tep_db_num_rows($reviews_query);

?>

<tr>

<td>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="pageReviewHeading" valign="top"><?php echo BOX_HEADING_REVIEWS; ?></td>

</tr>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

<?php

if ($num_rows > 0) {

$row = 0;

while (($reviews_values = tep_db_fetch_array($reviews_query)) && ($row < MAX_REVIEWS_IN_PRODUCT_INFO)) {

$row++;

$date_added = tep_date_short($reviews_values['date_added']);

// Write product reviews

?>

<?php

// END PopTheTop Product Info Reviews

?>

<!-- -->

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>

</tr>

It seems like a great module to install. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Regards

Andrew

That is why I included a copy of my products_info.php so that you can compare the 2. Look around the 2 and use a program like WinGrep to compare the 2.

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

Ok I have worked it out thanks.

I think the documentation written is good but is incomplete.

Even though someone modifying should look at your file for comparisons, the documentation needs to be updated to reflect all the additions made to get this component working. The Install.htm section that modifies the product_info.php page ends incorrectly.

Hi

i tryed to instal your mods but here what i have :

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $ in /home/www/5fa996af8067027f67c261440b59322f/web/shop/product_info.php on line 313

i have take the code from your file product_info_COPY.php because iancurtis seem to said that your instal.htm is wrong. but nothing change ...

could u help me ?

thx

Settings:

OSC 2.2MS2

Apache

MySQL 4.1.7

PHP 4.3.10 (Zend: 1.3.0)

I will try to modify a stock product_info.php when I get the time and post the update. I have many other mods installed and personal changes as well so if it does not work, that is why.

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

There was something left out of the contribution...

TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_REVIEWS_PRODUCT_INFO

Where does this go? english.php or /english/product_info.php ?

How do you get the numbers of reviews showing?

Also...

How would i make it say 3 out 5 under the stars?

You did really good on this, I like the layout.

Thanks,

Brad

This mod will show the reviews for a product on its description page (if any).

Set the number of reviews you'd like shown by changing the number in the Admin » Configuration » Maximum Values.

Download from:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,734

Do you have a web site where I can take a look at this?

Do you have a web site where I can take a look at this?

Yes, and it is posted in the Install.htm file as well.

Go to http://www.popthetop.com/catalog/index.php and take a look at:

For NO Reviews:

http://www.popthetop.com/catalog/product_i...&products_id=68

For 1 Review:

http://www.popthetop.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=259

For 2 Reviews:

http://www.popthetop.com/catalog/product_i...&products_id=30

Please do NOT post reviews unless they are real. This is a LIVE site.

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

There was something left out of the contribution...

TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_REVIEWS_PRODUCT_INFO

Where does this go? english.php or /english/product_info.php ?

How do you get the numbers of reviews showing?

Sorry, I forgot to add that in the installation file. I just updated it and will upload the new version update soon. But until then, here it is...

Open english.php and look for

define('TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_REVIEWS', 'Displaying <b>%d</b> to <b>%d</b> (of <b>%d</b> reviews)');

Add this just under that line

// BEGIN PopTheTop Reviews in Product Description
define('TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_REVIEWS_PRODUCT_INFO', '<FONT COLOR="#006699">Displaying <b>%d</b> of <b>%d</b> product reviews</FONT>');
// END PopTheTop Reviews in Product Description

Also...

How would i make it say 3 out 5 under the stars?

You did really good on this, I like the layout.

Thanks...

I really do not know how to say that, sorry...

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

Sorry, I forgot to add that in the installation file. I just updated it and will upload the new version update soon. But until then, here it is...

Open english.php and look for

define('TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_REVIEWS', 'Displaying <b>%d</b> to <b>%d</b> (of <b>%d</b> reviews)');

Add this just under that line

define('TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_REVIEWS_PRODUCT_INFO', '<FONT COLOR="#006699">Displaying <b>%d</b> of <b>%d</b> product reviews</FONT>');
// END PopTheTop Reviews in Product Description

Thanks...

I really do not know how to say that, sorry...

Thanks for the help! That helped me finish of tweaking this...

I have also figured out for you how to display the scale text, limit the text, and add a more information link.

in products_info.php

Replace:

<?php echo '<FONT COLOR="#006699"><b>Submited By:</b> ' . $reviews_values['customers_name'] . ' on <span class="smallText">' . $date_added . '</span></font><br>' .  sprintf(tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'stars_' . $reviews_values['reviews_rating'] . '.gif', sprintf(BOX_REVIEWS_TEXT_OF_5_STARS, $reviews_values['reviews_rating']))) .'<br><br>'. htmlspecialchars($reviews_values['reviews_text']) ?>

with

<?php echo tep_break_string(tep_output_string_protected($reviews_values['reviews_text']), 60, '<br>') . ((strlen($reviews_values['reviews_text']) >= 100) ? '<br>' : '') . '...    ' . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'] . '&reviews_id=' . $reviews_values['reviews_id']) . '">' . '(Read Full Review)</a>' . '<br><br><i>' . sprintf(TEXT_REVIEW_RATING, tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'stars_' . $reviews_values['reviews_rating'] . '.gif', sprintf(TEXT_OF_5_STARS, $reviews_values['reviews_rating'])), sprintf(TEXT_OF_5_STARS, $reviews_values['reviews_rating'])) . '</i>'; ?>

Let me know if you figure out a away to add on more dimensions of ranking.

Thanks,

Brad

osjunkie - change

<?php echo tep_break_string(tep_output_string_protected($reviews_values['reviews_text']), 60, '<br>') . ((strlen($reviews_values['reviews_text']) >= 100) ? '<br>' : '') . '...    ' . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'] . '&reviews_id=' . $reviews_values['reviews_id']) . '">' . '(Read Full Review)</a>' . '<br><br><i>' . sprintf(TEXT_REVIEW_RATING, tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'stars_' . $reviews_values['reviews_rating'] . '.gif', sprintf(TEXT_OF_5_STARS, $reviews_values['reviews_rating'])), sprintf(TEXT_OF_5_STARS, $reviews_values['reviews_rating'])) . '</i>'; ?>

to

<?php echo tep_break_string(tep_output_string_protected($reviews_values['reviews_text']), 60, '<br>') . ((strlen($reviews_values['reviews_text']) >= 100) ? '<br>' : '') . '...    ' . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'] . '&reviews_id=' . $reviews_values['reviews_id']) . '">' . '(Read Full Review)</a>' . '<br><br><i>' . sprintf(TEXT_REVIEW_RATING, tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'stars_' . $reviews_values['reviews_rating'] . '.gif', sprintf(TEXT_OF_5_STARS, $reviews_values['reviews_rating'])), sprintf(BOX_REVIEWS_TEXT_OF_5_STARS, $reviews_values['reviews_rating'])) . '</i>'; ?>

then you'll get your Rating 3 out of 5 stars or whichever it is rated!

Also on the product_info.php page I m looking and I am trying to figure out what use is it to know there are X number of reviews. It's useless information.

I would like to put the average rating of the product there like you would see it in the admin categories.php file when you select a product.

Having some trouble figuring out that function.

Anyone know how to do that?

Brad

actually with the # of reviews out of # of reviews - to me it only makes sense if there is then another button to click on to then view the full list of reviews for that product - so if there are 15 reviews - and 3 are on the main product page - then the visitor could click to read all 15 on the product_reviews_info.php page....

as for osjunkies comment - try this:

in /catalog/product_info.php find

<?php

$reviews_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as count from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");

?>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_CURRENT_REVIEWS . ' ' . $reviews['count']; ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

</tr>

<?php

}

-------------------------------

and then change it to this:

<?php

$reviews_query_average = tep_db_query("select (avg(reviews_rating)) as average_rating from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");

$reviews_average = tep_db_fetch_array($reviews_query_average);

$reveiws_stars = $reviews_average['average_rating'];

$reveiws_rating = number_format($reveiws_stars,0);

?>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_REVIEW_AVERAGE . ' ' . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS, tep_get_all_get_params()) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'stars_' . $reveiws_rating . '.gif') . ' ' . ' (' . $reviews['count'] . ' ' . TEXT_CURRENT_REVIEWS . ')'. '</a>'; ?>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

</tr>

<?php

} else {

?>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_REVIEW_NONE . ' ' . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE, tep_get_all_get_params()) . '">' . TEXT_REVIEW_INVITE . '</a>'; ?>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

</tr>

<?php

}

then in /catalog/includes/languages/english/product_info.php

add these lines

define('TEXT_REVIEW_AVERAGE', 'Average Customer Rating');

define('TEXT_REVIEW_NONE', 'No Customer Ratings Yet');

define('TEXT_REVIEW_INVITE', '(Be the first)');

i think that will work - had put that together awhile back - haven't used it recently though - so if it doesn't work, let me know and i'll try and tweak it again - only tested on MS2 - not MS1

actually with the # of reviews out of # of reviews - to me it only makes sense if there is then another button to click on to then view the full list of reviews for that product - so if there are 15 reviews - and 3 are on the main product page - then the visitor could click to read all 15 on the product_reviews_info.php page....

as for osjunkies comment - try this:

in /catalog/product_info.php find

<?php

?>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_CURRENT_REVIEWS . ' ' . $reviews['count']; ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

</tr>

<?php

}

and then change it to this:

<?php

$reviews_query_average = tep_db_query("select (avg(reviews_rating)) as average_rating from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");

$reviews_average = tep_db_fetch_array($reviews_query_average);

$reveiws_stars = $reviews_average['average_rating'];

$reveiws_rating = number_format($reveiws_stars,0);

?>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_REVIEW_AVERAGE . ' ' . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS, tep_get_all_get_params()) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'stars_' . $reveiws_rating . '.gif') . ' ' . ' (' . $reviews['count'] . ' ' . TEXT_CURRENT_REVIEWS . ')'. '</a>'; ?>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

</tr>

<?php

} else {

?>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_REVIEW_NONE . ' ' . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_REVIEWS_WRITE, tep_get_all_get_params()) . '">' .  TEXT_REVIEW_INVITE . '</a>'; ?>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

</tr>

<?php

}

then in /catalog/includes/languages/english/product_info.php

add these lines

define('TEXT_REVIEW_AVERAGE', 'Average Customer Rating');

define('TEXT_REVIEW_NONE', 'No Customer Ratings Yet');

define('TEXT_REVIEW_INVITE', '(Be the first)');

i think that will work - had put that together awhile back - haven't used it recently though - so if it doesn't work, let me know and i'll try and tweak it again - only tested on MS2 - not MS1

That worked great, is there anyway to print the number instead of stars?

I tried this and it shows no difference in the display other than it removed the "Submitted by XXX line above the review and it now shows the ALT text (Rating: ***** [5 of 5 Stars]) AND the "Read Full Review" link.

But what is shown IS the full review so why is that link appearing?

You said: "I have also figured out for you how to display the scale text, limit the text, and add a more information link."

What do you mean by the 3 things here?

Thanks for the help! That helped me finish of tweaking this...

I have also figured out for you how to display the scale text, limit the text, and add a more information link.

in products_info.php

Replace:

<?php echo '<FONT COLOR="#006699"><b>Submited By:</b> ' . $reviews_values['customers_name'] . ' on <span class="smallText">' . $date_added . '</span></font><br>' . ?sprintf(tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'stars_' . $reviews_values['reviews_rating'] . '.gif', sprintf(BOX_REVIEWS_TEXT_OF_5_STARS, $reviews_values['reviews_rating']))) .'<br><br>'. htmlspecialchars($reviews_values['reviews_text']) ?>

with

Let me know if you figure out a away to add on more dimensions of ranking.

Thanks,

Brad

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

actually with the # of reviews out of # of reviews - to me it only makes sense if there is then another button to click on to then view the full list of reviews for that product - so if there are 15 reviews - and 3 are on the main product page - then the visitor could click to read all 15 on the product_reviews_info.php page.

If you set it to display 3 reviews in Admin, and the item had 15 reviews, then a new button WILL be displayed at the bottom. It replaces the "Write Review" button and the "Write Review" is moved over to the far right of the gray box.

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

Hey rubygirl...

When you post code, please use the CODE buttons at the top to begin and end your code.

|code|

YOUR CODE HERE

|/code|

I added | in place of [ and ] so it would show up.

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

I just updated the contribution to show the Average Product Rating - Thanks RubyGirl!

What this contribution does:

1) Adds product reviews to the bottom of the product description page.

2) Admin can set the maximum number of reviews to be displayed at the bottom of the product description page.

3) If you set the maximum number of reviews to "0", then product reviews at the bottom of the product description page will be disabled.

4) If you have more product reviews than the maximum number of reviews to be displayed setting in Admin, it will add a new "Read Reviews" button.

5) It displays the review count (ie: Displaying 3 of 8 product reviews) at the bottom

6) It displays the Average Product Rating at the bottom

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

Hello PoptheTop,

great contrib, but after install it and everyone make a review in english, this will

only show it in enlish language, not in english and german. i use both

languages ( english, german ) on my shop, when the day will come,

that i have the shop finish ;).

Next thing is, i use wishlist 2.4 and have a bit trouble after install

the review contrib.

If i go in a product page, who i have a review, i see in footer this :

Warning: sprintf(): Too few arguments in /my site/my site/my site/shop/product_info.php on line 394

In line 394 i have this :

<td align="right" class="smallText"><?php echo sprintf(TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_REVIEWS_PRODUCT_INFO, $row, $num_rows); ?></td>

I hope on help from you.

Cheers

Hobbes

Hello PoptheTop,

great contrib, but after install it and everyone make a review in english, this will

only show it in enlish language, not in english and german. i use both

languages ( english, german ) on my shop, when the day will come,

that i have the shop finish  ;).

Next thing is, i use wishlist 2.4 and have a bit trouble after install

the review contrib.

If i go in a product page, who i have a review, i see in footer this :

Warning: sprintf(): Too few arguments in /my site/my site/my site/shop/product_info.php on line 394

In line 394 i have this :

<td align="right" class="smallText"><?php echo sprintf(TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_REVIEWS_PRODUCT_INFO, $row, $num_rows); ?></td>

I hope on help from you.

Cheers

Hobbes

Yes, this I know. I only have the English language installed so I can not help you on making it multi-lingual.

In english.php do you have it EXACTLY as below added?

00262:	define('TEXT_DISPLAY_NUMBER_OF_REVIEWS_PRODUCT_INFO', '<FONT COLOR="#006699">Displaying <b>%d</b> of <b>%d</b> product reviews</FONT>');
00263:	// END PopTheTop Reviews in Product Description

L8r,

PopTheTop

It's a popup thing...