• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

duplicating site for testing

late

Hola,

In the search for the best testing environment, I duplicated my catalog and admin folders, renamed them and added a couple of robots.txt dissallows.

All seem to work fine, but i was wondering if this is an optimal testing solution, or this setup might backfire somehow? (this is a live shop)

Also, do you think it is safe to duplicate the database as well?

All suggestions welcome,

echo Thanks.

Hola,

In the search for the best testing environment, I duplicated my catalog and admin folders, renamed them and added a couple of robots.txt dissallows.

All seem to work fine, but i was wondering if this is an optimal testing solution, or this setup might backfire somehow? (this is a live shop)

Also, do you think it is safe to duplicate the database as well?

All suggestions welcome,

echo Thanks.

If your host gives you the space and mysql databases

Create your shop and get it stable - i.s don't make too many changes to a live entity.

Create a NEW directory structure on your server AND a new database - then copy the files from your stable shop and as you have done reconfigure the test shop - just make sure that you re-name everything because it is possible to jump from one shop to the other if your paths are not set correctly - also if you have contributions with hard coded paths make sure you put the correct path in each for the relevant cart.

hth

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

If your host gives you the space and mysql databases

Create your shop and get it stable - i.s don't make too many changes to a live entity.

Create a NEW directory structure on your server AND a new database - then copy the files from your stable shop and as you have done reconfigure the test shop - just make sure that you re-name everything because it is possible to jump from one shop to the other if your paths are not set correctly - also if you have contributions with hard coded paths make sure you put the correct path in each for the relevant cart.

hth

Charles

Thank you Simplyeasier for your quick reply.

I wonder which bot will enter first :)

Any experience with bots in the dissallow area?

Archived