• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade Enquiry (sorry to ask)

Devz

Hey Guys,

Im sorry to ask for explaination regarding this, but here goes.

In regard to upgrading osCommerce 2.2 MS1 to MS2, the osCommerce KB article states

'Then copy the old database over to the new database in phpmyadmin"

I would have thought this was an easy thing to achieve. Have tried both trying to update the established MS2 installation's database with both just Data, and Data and Structure to attempt this update. Can anyone assist in what im doing wrong here?

Most people i have read are simply doing a fresh installation, which in a perfect world would be fine. Not so in this case :)

phpMyAdmin version being used is: phpMyAdmin 2.6.0-pl3

Thanks in advance for anyones assistance.

- Devz

To take a backup of your old database,via phpMyAdmin, did you tick the box to 'Save As File'? This will create a dump file which you can then just import into a blank database.

Vger

To take a backup of your old database,via phpMyAdmin, did you tick the box to 'Save As File'?  This will create a dump file which you can then just import into a blank database.

Vger

Vger, yes i have been dumping to a raw SQL file which ive been saving, before attempting to upload. Upon trying to inject the SQL query into the new (MS2) database.

Must the database be totally empty? ie. No table structure that was created by the new MS2 install?

I get the following phpMyAdmin error message, even when exporting as type 'REPLACE' (which i would think would avoid structure conflicts)

#1050 - Table 'address_book' already exists

Maybe i should try culling everything within the database then do the SQL import??

Thanks for your reply.

- Devz

• 2 months later...

I'm curious, when you do this upgrade path does it basically leave you with a new install if 2.2ms2 and your old data? In other words, it does not modify any php so if there are mods you will have to add them back in, correct?

It does seem to use the old DB data. And the upgrade script does the modifications required.

Although this method is not preferred, it does work. Id only recommend upgrading on an unedited osC ms2.2m1.

I'm curious, when you do this upgrade path does it basically leave you with a new install if 2.2ms2 and your old data?  In other words, it does not modify any php so if there are mods you will have to add them back in, correct?

Archived