• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can someone remind me

Simplyeasier

You use flash on your site and a visitor does not have macromedia flash installed ?

It's been so long since I owned a PC with out MM - I cannot remember the hassles such omissions put you through.

If memory serves

1) You get an alert asking you to downl;oad MM

2) What happens if you decline the request ? Does the space where the SWF is showing appear as a vacant placeholder ?

I need to decide if it is worth adding flash to some of my pages - based on the hassle I will be giving people without MM installed

Thanks

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

I use a flash gallery in my ads for ebay but no flash on my website.

Here's part of the code for what happens when someone doesn't have flash who is viewing the gallery:

document.write(' This Vendio Gallery is best viewed with <br><br> <b>Macromedia Flash Player 6</b><br>or higher.<br><br> ');

document.write(' <a href=http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer ');

document.write(' target=_blank>Click here to get the latest<br>Macromedia Flash Player.</a> ');

I use a flash gallery in my ads for ebay but no flash on my website.

Here's part of the code for what happens when someone doesn't have flash who is viewing the gallery:

document.write(' This Vendio Gallery is best viewed with <br><br> <b>Macromedia Flash Player 6</b><br>or higher.<br><br> ');

document.write(' <a href=http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer ');

document.write(' target=_blank>Click here to get the latest<br>Macromedia Flash Player.</a> ');

I just used Firefox on a page that I needed MM and it had a placeholder requesting that i download the app - It was quite painless actually - just wondering if other surfers are as accommodating to sites wanting them to download stuff as I am - Probably not :D

Just out of interest how many reading this thread DO NOT have macromedia flash installed ?

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Cant beleive more people have flash than java? I hate flash, and generally dont install the player because the movies annoy me so much, big loading times, clumsy navigation. there has 2b other ppl like me?

I really dont like Java applets. We had to make applets for a course work an I was suprised by the amount of computers that were not able to display them. I think it required a 12mb download which I am sure would put a lot of surfers off. I dont think I would use an applet on any site of mine.

I thought they outlawed flash.. ;)

Seriously, you should avoid using much (if any) flash. Unless it offers value to the product or service you offer, most people aren't impressed and don't have the interest to watch it do its thing.

Archived