• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

moving site to anotehr domain and updating all the

jeellison

Hi all,

Well im getting more excited im closer to getting my site live but I have hit a snag. I have been developing and populating the site on a subdomain of a spare domain I had and now I have bought the new domain for it to be housed.

What would be the best way for me to transfer the site over and update all the links?

Will I need to re-install on this new domain etc?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

J

Hi all,

Well im getting more excited im closer to getting my site live but I have hit a snag.  I have been developing and populating the site on a subdomain of a spare domain I had and now I have bought the new domain for it to be housed. 

What would be the best way for me to transfer the site over and update all the links?

Will I need to re-install on this new domain etc?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

J

If you are with the same hosting server and still would have access to your database, it is very simple.

Just move or copy the entire catalog (your shop) to the new domain (or have your hosting server do it) and manually change the setting in BOTH configure.php files.

These include domain name and IP (if not the same - your server host will have that information)

I just change domain a week ago and work fine without problem

Goodluck, Eangkarn

Thanks for the quick reply tooron,

Ill give it a go tonight,  thanks a lot.

Best Regards

J

Hi,

there is another way that I find works really well for me...

In the config file /catalog/includes/configure.php change the line that specifies your domain from:

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.yourDevDomain.com'); // eg, http://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

to:

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://' . sprintf($HTTP_HOST));

Note the sprintf($HTTP_HOST)

This way, no matter where you put the code, the site takes the value entered in the address bar as the HTTPSERVER, you can thus make the site work without having to change the value each time. This therefore allows you to create a local dns (hosts) entry that points any domain at your local dev box. Also allows localhost to work etc etc etc

ALSO: and one of my main reasons for doing this... it is quite possble that your web site viewer forgets to type the "www." and just enters domain.com (rather than www.domain.com) using this method, both url's work without breaking the site and the customer hasn't done anything wrong...

As I say... works great for me

:thumbsup:

Hope it goes well.. I am just in the process of loading my site up to my hoster for the first time - scary stuff :o

Enjoy

Gary

P.S. If anyone can see any reasons why this is a bad idea... I would be REALLY grateful to know why... :blink:

osCommerce hacked :) and live at CAAOS.com

Computer Accessories And Other Stuff

"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"

Archived