• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping Made Easy?

blueedge

I currently use PayPal for credit card transactions. However, I seem to lose a number of customers because:

1. Customers are confused about PayPal and don't know how to use a credit card with PayPal even though I have posted "helpful" PayPal/credit card tips during the checkout process.

2. Customers get frustrated and leave due to the number of additional pages that the PayPal process adds to the checkout process.

3. Customers get frustrated and/or confused when PayPal automically recognizes their credit card number or email as being associated with an existing PayPal and the customer can't remember the account or does not want to pay with the PayPal account.

Therefore, I am considering applying for a merchant account to accept credit cards. However, PayPal conveniently transfers the shipping info to either UPS or USPS where I can pay for and print a shipping label in just a couple clicks of a mouse. How can I coveniently pay for and print shipping labels for credit card orders? I really don't want to type each address. For those who currently accept credit cards, how do you handle the UPS, USPS and FedEx shipping for those orders?

Also, I like the fact that if you print a USPS postage label by using PayPal, you can elect not to print the cost of the postage on the label, unlike if you use the USPS web site where the printing of the cost of postage is not optional. Are there any shipping systems/software for USPS that make the printing of the cost of USPS postage optional?

Are there any shipping systems/software for USPS that make the printing of the cost of USPS postage optional?

Take a look at Endicia. That is what I use for USPS. It doesn't automatically copy the address, but you can copy and paste rather than type. And unlike most shipping label interfaces, you can copy/paste the entire address at once (except the name, it goes in a separate box). You can elect not to show the postage amount and it does a address verification and 9 digit zip lookup automatically.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

With some effort, you can pull all the data you need from the database, and output it as you see fit. You could set up a button in the admin/orders page to print an address label, just like an invoice if you like. I just have the invoice page echo the shipping address in a larger font at the bottom of the page, and I cut it off to tape to the box. If I reach a point where this is more of a hassle than a bonus, I'll work out a new method that works for me. That's the beauty of the open source and these forums isn't it?

Jeremy

Take a look at Endicia.  That is what I use for USPS.  It doesn't automatically copy the address, but you can copy and paste rather than type.  And unlike most shipping label interfaces, you can copy/paste the entire address at once (except the name, it goes in a separate box).  You can elect not to show the postage amount and it does a address verification and 9 digit zip lookup automatically.

Ive been told Endicia is the way to go because it can also do International labels.

The big thing with them is their flexibility Im told and the fact you can hide the postage. Some customers get upset if they see they paid $5.95 for shipping and it only cost you $1.55 or so... they dont seem to understand "handling"... the fact that it takes actual work to put the product in the envelope, make up the labels, pay for packaging materials, etc... hiding the postage is a big thing.

Im still trying to figure out how to add Priority Shipping, Im told the USPS, UPS options dont work even if you have an account, though i have not tried it myself.

You're right. You do having the"handling" portion of the order. However, not only is there handling, since the items I ship are of a variety shapes and weights, it is not easy to determine in advance what the shipping charges will be. Depending upon the items purchased, I sometimes cannot use USPS boxes and, therefore have to pay for alternative shipping boxes.

The two big things that I like about PayPal are: 1. Shipping info is automatically entered for UPS and USPS shipping. No need to manually enter. 2. The cost of USPS Priority is not displayed on the printed shipping label.

I'm in the process of choosing a merchant account so I can accept credit cards. As a result, I won't have the shipping convenience that PayPal offers. So, I will have to try something like Endicia. However, being a cheap guy, I was hoping for an option of less than $9.95 per month. :D

I was hoping for an option of less than $9.95 per month.  :D

Uh-Oh I have one more piece of bad news. To use the stealth postage feature, you need their preimium account ($15.95). On the plus side though, with the premium account you get several other useful features.

Like any expenses, I wish I didn't have to pay it. But compared to many other business operating costs, it is a minor one.

Rule #1: Without exception, backup your database and files before making any changes to your files or database.

Rule #2: Make sure there are no exceptions to Rule #1.

• 1 month later...
Uh-Oh  I have one more piece of bad news.  To use the stealth postage feature, you need their preimium account ($15.95).  On the plus side though, with the premium account you get several other useful features.

Like any expenses, I wish I didn't have to pay it.  But compared to many other business operating costs, it is a minor one.

I use the endicia service with the premium option and like it quite a lot. In the customer's paypal email, I just highlight their address and hit CTRL-C in outlook express and it automagically appears in dazzle (endicia's mailing program), even without pasting it manually.

I ship my items around the US and also internationally and printing international postage has a couple more clicks involved but not bad at all. The great thing about the international is that it will print out the customs form... all you have to do is cut the paper and tape it to the package. And within the next few months you wont even need that extra form, all the customs info will be integrated into the 2d barcode. I'm sure that is true with any of the shipping solutions like paypal or stamps.com, not just endicia.

And finally and perhaps most imporantly, you can completely automate dazzle with xml. So you could conceivable set it up to print the shipping label without you even being at your computer. Unfortunately I didn't find any contributions that support dazzle (endicia) but perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

And no I don't work for endicia, haha.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering how I would go about printing self adhesive shipping lables for use with osCommerce.  Does this Endicia do so?

I ended up buying an old UPS label printer (Eltron/Zebra 2442). It works great with Endicia (Post Office postage). You basically feed it a roll of 4x6 labels.

Printer search on ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/eltron-2442_W0QQsof...ntrypageZsearch

I think I got my printer for like $35 or $40. Make sure you get one WITH the power adapter or that'll run you another $15-20.

Get a roll or a pack of rolls. I got like 6 rolls for $40.

This will end up being cheaper AND easier than feeding the sheet w/4 labels through my laser printer. You have to refeed it for the next label. Takes too long. Plus labels are at least twice as expensive.

-brian

Edited by bossturbo