• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What do you guys think ?

Hi all!

I'm after some of your thoughts on my shop.. It's been live since September but as you all probably know, your always adding new contribs etc to the store for enhancment..

I've got it (with some help) basically how i want it.. I've not yet got SSL but then again no CC details are stored in our database because i use third parties like Paypal, Nochex and soon to be Protx for "REAL" Debit card payments, is this acceptable or ?

I know about the header not resizing properly, i'm currently looking into a re-design of the header so it's more 800x600 friendly. Currently getting alot of trafic through eBay as i list things on there and have "some" links to our shop on the listings etc which does help out quite allot. Making good use of the Google Adwords which gives us some great re-directs. The Google ranking is pretty good on some key words but could do with being a little better. I resell for about 10 major companies within the field, 9 of them are all International so I do import allot of stuff.

Anyway.. Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks ? I know it's a little "Stock OSC" but thats the way i like it because its easy for my customers to use. :D

www.watercoolinguk.co.uk

*Shop is Live, Please if you do place an order - add in the notes box that it is a test so i can delete the order*

All comments welcome, Good or Bad. Thanks!!

Rob

I've not yet got SSL but then again no CC details are stored in our database because i use third parties like Paypal, Nochex and soon to be Protx for "REAL" Debit card payments, is this acceptable or ?

Your payment gateways are now protected. However, your customer's usernames and password etc. are still traveling accross the country without any protections. With a bit of knowledge, anyone can fish out those details and cause some very serious damage to your business.

Your payment gateways are now protected.  However, your customer's usernames and password etc. are still traveling accross the country without any protections.  With a bit of knowledge, anyone can fish out those details and cause some very serious damage to your business.

Thanks for that Alpha.

What kind of damage can actually happen if a "hacker" gets a customers username and passy ?

Thanks for that Alpha.

What kind of damage can actually happen if a "hacker" gets a customers username and passy ?

They will have the same access and permission as your customer on his/her account. You might want to use SSL for your admin section as well.

If the rest of the world find out yours or your customer's password, then it's game over.

They will have the same access and permission as your customer on his/her account.? You might want to use SSL for your admin section as well.

If the rest of the world find out yours or your customer's password, then it's game over.

So SSL sounds like a minimum requirement for what ive got then thanks for pointing that out mate..

I would like a https:// rather than a http://www.securefolder but ive been told i can only have on of those if i were to get a dedicated server what do you think ?

So SSL sounds like a minimum requirement for what ive got then thanks for pointing that out mate..

I would like a https:// rather than a http://www.securefolder but ive been told i can only have on of those if i were to get a dedicated server what do you think ?

Dedicated SSL requirements are: You have a dedicated IP and that your host allow you to install the certificate. You don't really need a dedicated server.

Many hosting plans now come Shared SSL, which works as well as a dedicated one. The main different is the URL shown on the browser.

Dedicated SSL requirements are:  You have a dedicated IP and that your host allow you to install the certificate.  You don't really need a dedicated server.

Many hosting plans now come Shared SSL, which works as well as a dedicated one.  The main different is the URL shown on the browser.

Thanks i'll be looking more closely into that now.. Last thing i want is someone hacking my shop :|

Anyone else got comments ?

Cheers

Rob

Overall it looks ok, pretty much standard osc with some add-ons installed.

One thing I'd look at doing is installing one of the sml-med-lge image add-ons and then creating different sized images for each display type and optimising the hell out of the images at the two smaller sizes. If you are using one of the image add-ons already (I don't think so but I may be wrong) then you still need to look at better optimising your smaller sized images. The reason I am suggesting this, I downloaded a copy of your homepage including all images and it came to a little bit over 250kb, which is way too large, you should be aiming to have the homepage come in at under 100kb maximum, better still try less than 60kb. 60kb may be a bit ambitious, but it's worth aiming for.

I also noticed that your header image is 180 pixels high, maybe you should try to reduce this to under 100 pixels. The reason is pretty simple, at 1024 x 768 it takes up a big chunk of screen realestate, at 800 x 600 it takes up even more. You should be hitting them with products as far as possible in the bit "above the fold" and not logo. I also saw that you have duplicated the "Account - Cart Checkout" links top left and above the right column, one set of the links should suffice. If you must duplicate them, you should try to keep the same wording on both, although I'd personally be using the single set of links.

Archived