• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help with redesign

BizGirl

B) Hi everyone,

First off I would like to thank you for your responses for the other topic posted.

I have updated and redesigned as much as I could considering I am in high school in my senior year. :D So I would like you guys to please go to the website DaylightGifts.com for me, and please let me know what you think. I don't have a very large marketing budget, but I have implemented the Google Adwords program and I have Arelis for the SEO aspect of marketing.

Thus, I would like your help, be as brutal as you need to be, I'll take it as constructive criticism.

Thank you all very much in advance,

Margaret (BizGirl :) )

Hard to really comment as is relatively standard osCommerce layout but the colour layout is okay. The "we proudly accept" picture is all squished and hard to read. Also the front page ad should be clickable and bring you to the product (what if I wanted to buy the Jesus plate).

I would suggest you add an image contribution. Your images are really too big and take quite a while to load when you click one of the categories.

You front page image is also just over 400kb, this is far too big.

The seasonal gifts category is just over 600kb in size, people on dialup will certainly get bored waiting for the images to load.

Derek

1. Maybe change the color of the standart osc buttons (like "buy now" and 'login')

2. Is it finished yet? cause when i click on Link To Us the page doesnt look finished. Its like sudenly a complete different layout. (menubuttons are now on the left)

3. Hover's -> your "top>>catalog>>etc.." stays in darkbleu when you rollover - this is personal - but i like that more then what happens to the top menu ("Home - About Us - etc..") they use the same rollover (hover) as the Categories menu.

In that categories menu its not bad - but maybe change one of the two that are in a darker background? (you can easely edit that in your css)

4. This is maybe just nagging - but the box on the right 'Secured by GeoTrust' is higher then all other boxes ( I mean the header of the box) but I think (it looks that way) you could say 'Secured by GeoTrust' on one line. (I know i'm just nagging about little details here - but only giving my opinion)

5. Is there a particular reason why the suns rotate in the categorie/product pages and not in the info-pages?

6. I cant review it any further - cause i got kicked of the site -> i get all 'page not found' errors now.

Hope this helps a bit - good luck

(by the way - some nice contributions and nice changes in it)

Even in this dark place, yes, I am afraid of my own shadow.

Contributions | KnowledgeBase | osCommerce 2.2 pdf

Hello everyone,

I have been following up on your ideas posted on this post, I only have to redo the links page. Otherwise, I think I have gotten to each suggestion.

If anyone could now please visit my site at DaylightGifts.com and tell me your opinions and suggestions after the redesign.

Thank you all,

Hello everyone,

I have been following up on your ideas posted on this post, I only have to redo the links page.  Otherwise, I think I have gotten to each suggestion. 

If anyone could now please visit my site at DaylightGifts.com and tell me your opinions and suggestions after the redesign.

Thank you all,

Hi,

I think you have done a very good job at the redesign of the site, it is no easy task and you have done it nicely, For me the colours are a bit washy, but the site works just fine, I wish you all the best of luck, keep it up !!

Nic

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

Hi,

I think you have done a very good job at the redesign of the site, it is no easy task and you have done it nicely, For me the colours are a bit washy, but the site works just fine, I wish you all the best of luck, keep it up !!

Nic

Hi,

Well from a designers view ...

Cheap, loose the colors and make it more alive.

It looks like a amateur website,

which I think will scare customers away.

I know it is not easy to get/make an original design.

but it requires HTML knowlegde (not php) to make a goodlooking design.

I have just been using osComerce for 2 months now,

so my first attempt is far from perfect yet,

I need to do lots of changes,

but my live site is here:

PLEASE ONLY LOOK IF YOU ARE GAY-FRIENDLY,

SO DO NOT SEND ANY ANTI-GAY SHIT AND STUFF.

http://www.gay18movies.com/shop/

an other good desined site (not mine)

http://www.bluefintraders.com/

Regards, Eangkarn

Hi BizGirl!

I think your site looks nice! The only thing that I would change would be the images...maybe make a set width, but NOT a set height too. The reason being that you have several products that the photos are getting squished into a square rather than being a tall rectangle. Case in point is the hanging set of three plates. Without reading the text I had no clue what the picture represented. When I clicked to enlarge the image, then I got the "impact" picture. That should be the image they see with the text to begin with. Setting image width on all images is fine, but unless all your images are the same proportionately, don't set the fixed height too.

Other than that, I thought it looked great. :D

~Signs

While it is standard OS it still looks good.

Suggestions --- IF that is your home address down at the bottom --- you may want to reconsider having it down there.

DHL is generally the cheapest carrier for deliveries --- they are also the most unrealable in the business. I have to use them weekly as a requirement of another company that i work with it is a nightmare compared to UPS.

other wise I like it... Been looking at the product line --- looks like a BIG mix which is kinda nice.

Hey nice web site, I completely understand the whole high school life. I am a sophomore in high school, my web site is www.cascadepaintball.com and I realize it is hard to keep up with designs, orders and all that good stuff. Just for reference there is a local man here in my town, very, very nice guy, he designed my web site and he is a very good guy to work with, and very good prices!! So if you ever want to consider having a professional re-design your web site I would highly recommend him, you can get a hold of him for rates and what not through www.BizSite4U.com so email him if you want to consider this. Good luck with your site.

Matt

This is a standard oscommerce design not much to review. Again like I suggest to everyone I prefer fixed width websites as opposed to 100%. I would take away the counter on the footer. Also you need a much more creative logo and header. The logo you have right now does not fit what you are selling. Fix that search button: It has a white background and sticks out as wierd cause your site is green. And yes you do need a thumbnail contribution badly.

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

Archived