• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Urgent Problem

A huge problem is going on with our OSC site.

A customer logged in, ordered a free download, and then received 20+ confirmation emails. I looked into Admin & it shows that she checked out that many times. She says she only checked out once.

This is also happening with other customers, but not to the same scale (ten times or less -- :o ).

What on earth could be going on? We are losing customers before they ever pay for anything!

Thanks,

Wendy

http://eleanormarie.com

Adding:

The site has been up & running for quite some time now, and all has been well until March 3. Usually multiple attempts means I messed up when I set up the download. This time the customer emailed to complain about checking out (successfully) one time & getting 20+ emails.

Thank you!

When they order a free download, do you normally get an email?

Are you getting your emails now?

Are you getting multiple emails, or just the customer?

Rik Rasmussen

Ask your hosting company to run a check on the mail server for your domain. There may be a problem with it that they don't know about.

The last thing you want is for SpamCop to blacklist the server your site (and other people's sites) are on because of what they perceive as being spam mail generated from your domain.

Vger

Adding:

The site has been up & running for quite some time now, and all has been well until March 3.  Usually multiple attempts means I messed up when I set up the download.  This time the customer emailed to complain about checking out (successfully) one time & getting 20+ emails.

Thank you!

So there was no outside payment site involved such as Paypal?

Right -- this was a free pattern. And we have not been getting order emails, but I just changed thsi.

I emailed a couple of other customers who had gone through checkout multiple times, and they were all just confused & unable to find the download button (I'm going to work on that page to make it more clear). So this problem is isolated to this one customer.

In Admin I show her ordering this pattern over 20 times -- and the times are scattered at intervals over two days. Sometimes there are several hours between groups of orders.

Is it possible she has a virus (or is a big fat liar :-" )? Or is it more likely this is on my end?

Thanks so much,

Wendy

PS -- I submitted an order ticket to my service provider, asking them to check the email. The reason I think it may be somewhere else is that Admin shows these incidents as orders.

It could be that her e-mail system is infected, hijacked by a virus, but this doesn't explain this particular behaviour.

It could also be that your mail server is not showing the e-mail as being downloaded from the server when it has been - in which case she'll get it delivered again.

There is a time period, even after downloading the original e-mail, before the mail server recognises that the e-mail has been downloaded. If she has her system set to check for mail every few minutes then it's her problem and not yours.

Vger

Wendy,

Have you set up a test account and tried to run one through yourself and see how many emails you receive as a customer?

Just a thought.

Nick

If you actually see multiple orders, I don't see how that is an email problem.

If she ordered multiple times, she should get multiple emails.

She might be one of those folks who isn't very computer savy and actually does not realized she has placed the orders. She may think she has just been browsing your site.

Rik Rasmussen

If you actually see multiple orders, I don't see how that is an email problem.

If she ordered multiple times, she should get multiple emails.

She might be one of those folks who isn't very computer savy and actually does not realized she has placed the orders. She may think she has just been browsing your site.

:lol: Thank you for your help, Rik! I think you are probably right.

Archived