• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

final question i hope

rommany

Hi,

This one has been driving me mad, i have tried to back up my database loads of times, everytime i mess up i restore and it doesnt change, so im guessing im not backing up right, i heard i need to put 777 somewhere but can not find the file or place.

As this is the most important part of the whole site i should have learnt it from the start.

Well i have crashed the site 4 time now big time and spent a whole week doing it all again, but has i have stock now this would be a nightmare.

Many thxs in advance.

Sry its long winded Dave

you should have a folder called admin/backups or similar

you need to set the permissions of this to 777 using CHMOD, this can be done with most FTP software or direct from your hosting accounts filemanager.

when you say:

everytime i mess up i restore and it doesnt change

what do you mean? do you get an error message? does the admin/backup.php file let you back up then not save a file? All it should do is save a .sql file to your server or download it to your local computer

Hi graham,

it does let me save a large file around 171k on my computer in sql but when i restore it, itdoesnt change anything, i do get error messages but have done so many changes that i wouldnt no where to start to get back to how it was, so the best way would be restore it. but it never lets me.

anyway i done all the large changes so hopefully that will never happen again.

thxs for the advice on changing the header hover oscommerce in my last post.

cheers dave

Hi graham,

it does let me save a large file around 171k on my computer in sql but when i restore it, itdoesnt change anything, i do get error messages but have done so many changes that i wouldnt no where to start to get back to how it was, so the best way would be restore it. but it never lets me.

anyway i done all the large changes so hopefully that will never happen again.

thxs for the advice on changing the header hover oscommerce in my last post.

cheers dave

Something to keep in mind is that when you are backing up your database in your osC admin that has nothing to do with problems you are having with your files. It only backs up and restores your database it does not make any changes at all to your files.

To back up your files you need to ftp them to your local computer and to restore them to an earlier time you would need to ftp that set of files back up to your server.

Doing the backup in your osC admin does not backup your files!!! Just your database!!

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Im ok know as i said it was last week, i tried to install a large contribtion and it went wrong, the error message was a whole page in red so i thought i would just restore the back up, but nothing happened, i tried twice once from the oscommerce saved back up and then from my computer.

but it didnt change anything, so i when to my host back up and managed to delete the whole thing.

As you can see am a newbie and a bad one at that : )

thxs for any advice

so i when to my host back up and managed to delete the whole thing.

osCommerce files or osCommerce database or both?

As Richard pointed out above, they are 2 different parts.

Im ok know as i said it was last week, i tried to install a large contribtion and it went wrong, the error message was a whole page in red so i thought i would just restore the back up, but nothing happened, i tried twice once from the oscommerce saved back up and then from my computer.

but it didnt change anything, so i when to my host back up and managed to delete the whole thing.

As you can see am a newbie and a bad one at that : )

thxs for any advice

I think the problem is you have been misunderstanding the backup and what it does. Just remember it is only backing up the database.

When installing a contribution the steps you need to take before starting are

1. Backup your files to your local computer- If it is a small contribution then you can just backup the files you are working with if it is a large complex one it would be a good idea to ftp your complete site to a backup folder on your local computer

2. Backup your database- not all contributions make changes to your database but any that do have sql files or commands call for a database backup before making those changes.

You can never backup to much or two often!!!!!!! When in doubt back it up!!!!!!!!!

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Archived