• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Basics for design

toyicebear

Rena, read the whole thread :P

EVERYBODY else!!!! Let me thank you for this great contributions!

I just started my store this week and had been really busy playing with all the php stuff (I'm not a PHPmaster, you know).

Well, now I have a site that fits (in part) what I need (wich is not always what you want). Whatever, thanks for the help. This thread has its bookmark in my browser :lol:

Well, as many here, I have a problem. I'm sure that it has been posted before, I tried the Search tool but didn't work :-" so if no one wants to answer is ok :rolleyes:

I have seen in some OSC stores that in the home page they insert the "Category" page instead of the "New items for this month". And the thumbs for each category are there, listed as the subcategy items use to.

I don't want to replace the "New items for this month" thing, I want to ALSO have (below) the "Category" graphical-items :P

I guess I only have to add the corresponding <?php in the index, so I will try that right after posting this :lol:

Another thing :-"

I would like to add more pictures per item. Think I'll use the Ultrapic thing (seems to be the best out there). Haru has it and looks good, but I don't know a chief of MySQL or phpMyAdmin and looks like I'll have to mess with them in order to install this and the other resources needed <_< (I can't even change my zones! naa, I'll do that also after posting ;) ).

One last thing!

Haru, I think I'm kinda good (sometimes) with Photoshop and manipulating images, send me your head-logo stuff (basic images, notes of what you want, colors you want me to use, etc.) and I will split it so you can use the "resize" trick they just told you about :rolleyes:

Thank you very much, se?oritos! You already help'me!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good thread indeed, and I join Neocalix to thanx everyone on that forum.

I have been looking for the code to change the link of the top banner/icon. It is actually linked to the Catalogo/index.php.

I'd like to change it...

Haru.

I discovered one thing:

NO ACCENT on files uploaded with Utlta_pics.

I almost posted an SOS message, because Ultra-pics did not work any more. Since I had modified a few files last week, I thought the probleme came from there, I re-installed Ultra_pics. Nothing worked. Then I had the idea to try diffrent immage... it worked. Then I renamed my new pics with NO ACCENT, and It worked.

So, NO ACCENT when naming pics files!

Harumi

Just yesterday I was thinkin' about it :huh:

I'll have to manage many pics so I tought that maybe could just made them all and give 'em random names, then (at the end, right before uploading) use the WinXP browser to easily rename then all. You can select all the files and then rename one, the others will be automatically renamed as follow:

rename.jpg

rename (1).jpg

rename (2).jpg

rename (3).jpg

Well, don't try it with pictures your pretending to upload :lol:

That kind of names are not compatible with all browsers, neither with some ISO languages so you better use common file names :P

Any way, I will try to find out if there is any software (that I already have) wich comes with a tool for this of renaming :P

I already had found out that name with space like "square vase01.jpg" did not work well when sending them over the Internet. Sometime they just would not open when people receive them.

So I have named my file "Vase_carr?01.jpg", Vase_carr?02.jpg", etc.

But the "?" was also a problem! <_<

A couple quetsion:

- where can I change the link for the top pic (banner) of the header of my sales/page here? Now it is linked to catalog, I want a different link.

Then, how to change the background color of the popup images? I have tried all kings of colors codes, they just do not appear like they are supposed to. :huh:

Haru.

I have seen in some OSC stores that in the home page they insert the "Category" page instead of the "New items for this month". And the thumbs for each category are there, listed as the subcategy items use to.

Main categories in front page

- where can I change the link for the top pic (banner) of the header of my sales/page here? Now it is linked to catalog, I want a different link.

In includes/header.php change (FILENAME_DEFAULT) to where you want the new link.

<td valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'osCommerce') . '</a>'; ?></td>

Depending on which contributions you have used you might have to manualy edit some of the pop-up files to set the background color, the pop-up files are located in the catalog folder.

thanks - this is all fantastic (i was just about to start a topic asking how I change the look of the site)  :-"

Happy to please... B)

Currently the On-the-fly thumbnail generator works well for making pictures small. However beware as sometimes it can mess up pertinent colors and can also make some pictures unrecognizable.

Only 36% of internet users have broadband so it is always wise to keep those image sizes down unless your main customer base will be using broadband for certain.

If your pictures need to be worth a thousand words and are your main selling factor I would suggest getting Photoshop/Image Ready and doing a "Save for Web". Go to the 4 up view and keep tweeking them until you get a balance between size and quality. If your pictures have few colors GIF's work well and can be small, but for real pictures you will want to use JPG.

Kenneth S

--------------

Customer "Are you a real programmer?"

Me "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

I've seen a lot of OSC templates where the shopping cart, my account etc. are moved into nice menu boxes at the top of the main page:

for example

I'm referring to the product and specials part of the menuing in the above example.

Do you just have to play around with stylesheet.css to do that or is it altogether more fundamental?

The look of osCommerce is fairly easy to change...it usually only requires the change of no more than 5 files..

1. includes/header.php

2. includes/footer.php

3. includes/left_column.php

4. includes/right_column.php

5. Stylesheet.css

Have fun...  B)

Thank you for the quick response.

None of these seem to let me edit the body text and meta tags, that is what I need to do, what is the best way to get this done.

Thank you for the quick response.

None of these seem to let me edit the body text and meta tags, that is what I need to do, what is the best way to get this done.

Text files are located in

includes/languages/english or any other language you might be using.

For meta tags, i suggest you use eighter header tags controller or c-dynamic meta tags which you can find in the contribution section.

I've seen a lot of OSC templates where the shopping cart, my account etc. are moved into nice menu boxes at the top of the main page:

for example

I'm referring to the product and specials part of the menuing in the above example.

Do you just have to play around with stylesheet.css to do that or is it altogether more fundamental?

You can make it manualy by modifying includes/header.php

Alternatively download and use a menu tab contribution from the contribution section.

hi, i have a couple questions, i am modifying my oscommerce site to match the main inline frame of www.urdumbinduhstries.com and im almost done, but i have a problem. the only info i want for each product page is a pictuere of the products, sizes, color and price. how do i get rid of the description. also when you add a product to the cart and you view your cart i dont want there to be a preview of the product. also when i hit check out it doesnt work, here is one of the product pages so far

http://whiteelephantindustries.com/store/p...?products_id=26

It is becoming alarmingly evident how many people refuse to research their dilemmas  :-"

Thanks for a simple post I can link to.

Ruhl

you are wrong.

i am in many forums but in this one i cant find what i am looking 4.

2 months i am searching here + i found a big 0.

by browsing i find a few thinks but costed a lot of time.

:blink:

hm, how do u add the links for hiriachy at the top instead of the box and have it auto update. or is it best to do it by hand html in the header file?

i'm looking for result like this

http://www.yesasia.com

also while i mention yesasia is it possible to have artists in product details and click on them to quiry all the products with them in it?

it would have to have multi artist/ actor support (because of complilation cds and well.. movies ^^

hm, how do u add the links for hiriachy at the top instead of the box and have it auto update. or is it best to do it by hand html in the header file?

i'm looking for result like this

http://www.yesasia.com

also while i mention yesasia is it possible to have artists in product details and click on them to quiry all the products with them in it?

it would have to have multi artist/ actor support (because of complilation cds and well.. movies ^^

You can get the top menu from the contribution section, search for menu tabs or category tabs.

As for artist/actor you can use the manefacturer system, and then you can duplicate it to make it possible to have multiple artist/actor pr. product.

you are wrong.

i am in many forums but in this one i cant find what i am looking 4.

2 months i am searching here + i found a big 0.

by browsing i find a few thinks but costed a lot of time.

:blink:

What are you looking to find the solution for?

OK.

but what do I do with these? I have no Idea where to go or what to do.....

Do with what, what are you trying to accomplish?

hi, i have  a couple questions, i am modifying my oscommerce site to match the main inline frame of www.urdumbinduhstries.com and im almost done, but i have a problem. the only info i want for each product page is a pictuere of the products, sizes, color and price. how do i get rid of the description. also  when you add a product to the cart and you view your cart i dont want there to be a preview of the product. also when i hit check out it doesnt work, here is one of the product pages so far

http://whiteelephantindustries.com/store/p...?products_id=26

It seems that you have managed to fix your product page, the shopping cart presentation you can adjust in the file shopping_cart.php

As for checkout and your ssl certificate , you have to change the settings in includes/configure.php

Hi, please tell me how to hide these items:

+ Buy Now button

+ NOt Allow visitor register (register system: OFF)

+ Cart contents

Everybody just visit the site and see product information, can't register or order online.

Thanks a lot,

XzZzX

~ @ Everything in your Hands @ ~

Hi, please tell me how to hide these items:

+ Buy Now button

+ NOt Allow visitor register (register system: OFF)

+ Cart contents

Everybody just visit the site and see product information, can't register or order online.

Thanks a lot,

XzZzX

There are several ways:

1. I seem to remember there is a add-on for just this in the contribution section too, try a search there.

2. You can manually mod the different files not to show cart related info.

3. Install the article manager or the newsdesk contrib. Remove all references to cart functions and boxses in header.php, footer.php , column_right.php, column_left.php and index.php

HI, I'm just a newbie, dont know where to fix the code in header, footer, index, left-right colum.php ... any contribute for off register module ??? or hide buynow button ?

Thanks

~ @ Everything in your Hands @ ~

Hi, i've followed the tutorials so far and have managed to change my header and i've also replace the 3 gifs with transparent ones. I am trying to edit my styleshee.css but when i try uploading it back into oscommerce it comes back with the following error:

Error: I can not write to this directory. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/lee246/public_html/shop/

any ideas please?

Archived