• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New to Os Commerce

Ok Guys and Gals,

I am new to os commerce. Where and how do I access my admin to edit the commerce section of my site?

Thank You,

Graham

Hi,

I am a newbie too. I found the administration at www.mysite/admin

Which seemed pretty good, except I can't figure out how to edit the main page.

When OS Commerce installed it took over my index html.file, so when someone went to the website it took them to the store section, which is not what I want to do. Any help in fixing that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

alice

Alice,

osCommerce doesn't take over your index.html page. The Web Server has a list of files that it treats as default. Meaning, if someone goes to www.yourdomain.com, they really get www.yourdomain.com/[default home page]. The list is ordered. If default page 1 is there, good, else try for default page 2, etc.

On your web server, it is probably ordered like:

index.php

index.html

default.html

etc.

Tell your admin to make the index.html file on your server to be the first on the list.

ed

I can't figure out how to edit the main page.

go to: catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php

and find the following code:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>\');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'\');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://wiki.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/forums" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

edit the text in blue to the text you wish to appear on your page.

ok.

my site is www.incredispace.com/oscommerce

i dont see anwhere to get to admin page off of that page.

i am not running the oscommerce as my main page either. so how do i get there to edit it?

thanks

Don't forget to rename your 'admin' folder to something unique (not admin2) and then edit the two references to 'admin' in admin/includes/configure.php e.g. change /admin/ to /newname/

For some people they will have no choice but to change the name as http://yourdomain.com/admin is a common address for your web hosting control panel.

Vger

i have tried the link your provided and couldn't see anything, nor could i access the main page (www.incredispace.com)

in which directory did you install oscommerce? and what folder have you put it in?

The admin area doesn't come with a log in already set up. You need to use htaccess or some other form of folder protection... and like babylea i couldnt get any part of your domain to come up. All 404 and 403 errors.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

i found out what its doing.

its not giving me the option to enter in admin access name and password when installing through plesk.

any suggestions.

i found out what its doing.

its not giving me the option to enter in admin access name and password when installing through plesk.

any suggestions.

osC does not come with a admin password setup you need to add it after you install your site. You can do this by using the tool in your hosting control panel if you have one, using a .htaccess file or installing a contribution.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Archived