• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Page Linking / Multiple Products

aquanet

Hi,

I'm an osCommerce newbie who is in the process of migrating an existing store into osCommerce. I did some searching of the Forum but couldn't seem to find the answers to my questions.

Some of the products I sell include lots of descriptive information. I have some questions about enhancing a basic product listing page:

1) If I want to include supporting information is there a way to launch a pop-up window in osCommerce to include this information?

See example at: http://www.aquanet.com/paq021.asp

2) Is there a way to link to other product pages within osCommerce (i.e., since osCommerce uses a database-driven dynamic page display how do I know the URL or link information to use)?

3) Some of my products have accessories. Is there a way to include multiple products (i.e. Add to Cart options) on the same page?

See example at: http://www.aquanet.com/paq007.asp

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

1) If I want to include supporting information is there a way to launch a pop-up window in osCommerce to include this information?

Yes. When entering the product data in the catalog, it includes a field where you can enter a Products URL to provide more information than in the basic description.

2) Is there a way to link to other product pages within osCommerce (i.e., since osCommerce uses a database-driven dynamic page display how do I know the URL or link information to use)?

The URLs are all predictable, as far as I know. Once a product ID has been assigned, it isn't overwritten unless you do so manually in the database. Each new product added will follow in logical numerical order sequenced after the previous product ID.

There are also contributions available to convert your .php?products_id=xx URL to more search-engine friendly .htm ones.

3) Some of my products have accessories. Is there a way to include multiple products (i.e. Add to Cart options) on the same page?

I believe so. Check the contributions section (link at top of forum pages) for 'family products' or 'master/slave' (I'm not positive about the names of these as I don't use them, but I think they're called something along those lines...

HTH,

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Hi John,

Yes. When entering the product data in the catalog, it includes a field where you can enter a Products URL to provide more information than in the basic description.

The URLs are all predictable, as far as I know. Once a product ID has been assigned, it isn't overwritten unless you do so manually in the database. Each new product added will follow in logical numerical order sequenced after the previous product ID.

There are also contributions available to convert your .php?products_id=xx URL to more search-engine friendly .htm ones.

I believe so. Check the contributions section (link at top of forum pages) for 'family products' or 'master/slave' (I'm not positive about the names of these as I don't use them, but I think they're called something along those lines...

HTH,

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions. Your responses are very helpful.

I visited your store and you've done a super job with it. Very nice design and very user-friendly.

Best wishes,

John

Hi John,

In reply to both of your questions,

1 - When linking product pages within a product description, you might want to be able to also follow the leads of where people are going within the shop from a visitor tracking point of view also from a point of view of keeping session id's. I have found that by using the oscommerce functions such as tep_href_link this keeps all of the above.

Entering them into the products can be a bit of a pain, however the pain is worth the gain :D

The following is an example of one of my product pages and this is the code for the same :

Thinking of trying IMSE VIMSE nappies?<p>This is a trial pack for small, medium and large sizes. <br>It consists of :<p>1 x <a href=' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, "products_id=29") . ' class=product_info target=_blank>Bumpy night wrap</a><br>1 x <a href=' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, "products_id=61") . ' class=product_info target=_blank>Flat flanelette Imse diaper</a><br>1 x <a href=' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, "products_id=46") . ' class=product_info target=_blank>Flanelette booster</a><br>10 x <a href=' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, "products_id=43") . ' class=product_info target=_blank>Disposable liners</a><p>The price on this trial pack represents a saving of ' . $currencies->display_price(2.5, 0) .' with 10 free liners.<p><p><p><font size=1>Please note there is only one Flat flanelette Imse diaper in this pack, not a pack of six.</font>

2 - As for adding extra products to your products thich are linked, try the x-sell contribution

Hope this helps

PhilipH

Hi Terry,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions. Your responses are very helpful.

I visited your store and you've done a super job with it. Very nice design and very user-friendly.

Best wishes,

John

Thanks, John! I appreciate the feedback! :)

If you want to see a link to an 'additional info' URL in action, check out one of the personalized CDs in my store. My 'additional info' URL is the link to the list of available names for the CD.

http://www.kididdles.com/catalog/product_i...?products_id=37

HTH,

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Hope this helps

PhilipH

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your responses. I'll look into the product tracking markup and the x-sell contribution.

I took a quick look at your store and it's very well done and has great "personality".

Best wishes,

John

Archived