• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Oceanpets: Live running site, please review

jmal786

Hi everyone,

This is my first site so any help you guys provide is awesome. I tried to keep the site clean looking.

Oceanpets

I was forced to open the site early because of a few people placing order even though my credit module was not operational. I have been up for a week now and getting tons of hits and got 3 orders.

I have 15 people create accounts but never completed thier order so if you guys can help review the checkout procedure that would be awesome. If you set up an account please write test as your name and remember it is a live site so if you do put your credit card info it will be charged (i can refund if accidents happen :P )

The colors of the site have to work around the logo because i can't change it. I would like to hear your opinions on color scheme.

I installed "on the fly GD thumbnailer" on another oscommerce test site i was working on and the images were not showing up as "pretty" as they should of been so i didnt install it on this site yet. Do you guys think i should? If so should i use "on the fly GD" or another one?

Please add any comments good or bad i dont mind, anything that can help me better at sales.

You Guys Rock! :thumbsup:

Hi..site looks awesome! Pictures look fine to me....color scheme is great. One suggestion would be to make the background (the space next to the black bars going down your site) a different color. So the whole site isn't dark blue. Also i would suggest that you change your categories box. When you open a sub category, there's a weird L looking image in front of your sub ctegories. Love the scrolling specials..

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get so many hits before it even went live??

Might have caught you doing some updates... I got this error:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/ocean/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 19
Unable to connect to database server!

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Also i would suggest that you change your categories box.  When you open a sub category, there's a weird L looking image in front of your sub ctegories.

i think the |__ is there to create a further indent, i personally think it works well.

the site looks fab, totally agree with what spots said about the scrolling specials, very smart! i used to have a large selection of tropical fish in my family home when i was younger and the site makes me want to start up now i have a family of my own!

good job

Site looks quite nice, now that I can get in to see it. :)

I'd suggest you double-check your specials prices, though -- I saw a few run by where the regular price was less than the special price (one with a reg price of $40 was on sale for $44.98; another one with a regular price of .01 was $11.00, I think).

Also, would like to see some product info for the fish -- I noticed it's there for some, but not others. Perhaps your typical customer knows what they're after, but I would have no clue what these little fellas need. Can I put a Spanish hogfish in my goldfish bowl to replace the four I had to flush down the toilet in less time than I'd care to admit? :)

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Hi thanks for the replies everyone.

Spot / babylea :

I'm looking around in the contributions to see if i can find a better enhacment to the categories. About the background im having trouble figuring out what works well with the blue logo.

I got so many hits before i went live because Msn bot scaned my site so whenever someone would search for a certain species that i carried at that time my website was either on the first or second page. Now im just running adwords on google and etc and it seems to be working better than expected.

Terry / babylea:

Yeah my wholesaler doesnt specify regular price, and since im new i dont know the regular price, thats why some specials seem awkard. Thanks for pointing it out though, i thought i had fixed all of them.

I'm slowly adding product information, when i first started the site my target audience was experts (not beginner). I figured only experts would buy online. I'm slowly changing my opinion. You guys made me realize that maybe by having information people can use my site as a resource aswell as a buying place. Thanks :thumbsup:

Terry i think im going to add order total to my checkout payment page like you did, maybe that will keep the customers from not bailing at the last minute.

(hogfish cant go in a fish bowl :P )

Do you guys think i need to install the "on the fly thumbnailer" ? im debating on it.

Archived