• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Timeline to next MS, changes, major changes

westkoast

Hey Guys, I've been using osCommerce for some time now and I'm about ready to re-write the checkout process. I know that it works... and that is fine for 98% of the people using OSC but I'm starting to get some bigger clients now and I think having an optimized checkout process is a good idea.

My only concern is that I spend a couple weeks or a month getting it ready, and the next MS comes out with totally revised checkout, etc. Then I would have to start all over again...

Let me know your thoughts. I may just do it to keep my PHP skills up to date. I already have the logic, flow charting ect on paper. Now it just needs to be implemented.

-HW

I need to read the rules more often...

My thoughts - MS3 is said to be so different from MS2 that I expect many people will continue using MS2 for a long time. I am also not holding my breath waiting for MS3 - I have not been tracking it closely, but nothing I have seen suggests that its release is imminent.

But why not download the latest MS3 version and see what it looks like?

From a user of MS2 for almost a year now I declined from downloading MS3 and boot it to test its functionality.

I recently decided to download it and during the install all went well until I reached the end where it writes the sql and it gave me an error on not being able to allocate bytes.

I finally managed to get the base sql tables into the database by hand and could still not get it to boot properly even though I would love to try it out or atleast look at it

(Screen shots don't give it justice Im sure).

I was trying to get this working on a server with register globals on and I've been told that MS3 will not work with them on so I can't be sure that was not the problem.

My advice is modify MS2, when MS3 is released you have a working system in place that you feel is up to par while you work on modifying MS3 to your standards.

Kenneth S

--------------

Customer "Are you a real programmer?"

Me "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

My advice is modify MS2, when MS3 is released you have a working system in place that you feel is up to par while you work on modifying MS3 to your standards.

If I remember right, this is also the tagline from the design folks - use MS2.2 now, work from that, and when MS3 is ready, then go change your stuff.

Archived