• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Getting download to work

I can not figure out how to get a download product to work. The documentation just says to turn on the dowload, which I did, and then add the file name in attributes.

I have some other attributes already defined, so the first thing that annoyed me is I HAD to pick one of those along with the download file name. So I created a blank attribute and a blank option. Then I tried just the filename in the /pub folder, nothing. I tried the whole URL from the same file saved in another folder, nothing. How do I make this work?

Thanks!

Beth G

an option - do u mean dropdown ? - no standard way of getting rid - needs a bit of recoding.

in attributes you put file name - what happens when u purchase the product ?

Your online success is Paramount.

how did you get the link to appear? it wont in my shop!

You need to make sure that downloads are enabled in admin, the file you want to make available is in the download folder and the permissions are correctly set for the pub folder.

For each product you want to sell, you need to make sure you have given it a download attribute in the product attributes screen and entered the correct filename (also in that screen).

Those steps should get you a download link after checkout.

If you have any problems, post them up here. I have been selling downloads on my site for almost a year now and hopefully will be able to help.

Simon

how have you got the payment process going? my shop is using nochex.

the customer buys an mp3 and at the cofirmation screen there is no link for them.

it appears that even though nochex processes the order, that status remains as nochex processing when i've told it to be set to delivered.

• 2 weeks later...

My download link shows up but it's inactive.

Can you help?

You need to make sure that downloads are enabled in admin, the file you want to make available is in the download folder and the permissions are correctly set for the pub folder.

For each product you want to sell, you need to make sure you have given it a download attribute in the product attributes screen and entered the correct filename (also in that screen).

If you have any problems, post them up here. I have been selling downloads on my site for almost a year now and hopefully will be able to help.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
My download link shows up but it's inactive.

Can you help?

I am having the same issue. all directory and attribute and configure.php settings are as explained here and other places but still I only get a blank page when I click on the download link after doing a test purchase. (same issue posted here)

Please help if you can. Simon or someone.... I am at a loss here. The whole reason I am using osc is to automate the d/l process and that is what is not working now.

I am having the same issue. all directory and attribute and configure.php settings are as explained here and other places but still I only get a blank page when I click on the download link after doing a test purchase. (same issue posted here)

Please help if you can. Simon or someone.... I am at a loss here. The whole reason I am using osc is to automate the d/l process and that is what is not working now.

Do you get any error messages or is it just the inactive link?

Simon

In download.php find each occurence of:

die;

and put an echo statement before it:

echo 'Error 1';

You will need to also put brackets in for the If clause in which it appears e.g:

Change:

if ((isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['order']) && !is_numeric($HTTP_GET_VARS['order'])) || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['id']) && !is_numeric($HTTP_GET_VARS['id'])) ) die;

To:

if ((isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['order']) && !is_numeric($HTTP_GET_VARS['order'])) || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['id']) && !is_numeric($HTTP_GET_VARS['id'])) ) 
{
 echo 'Error 1';
 die;
}

Obviously change the error number for each occurence of die.

When you have done this try a new download and see which Error number comes up - then look at the If clause relevant to that error number to see what is creating the die command to be executed.

Your online success is Paramount.

Simon

I get a link after the payment methods I have set up. I am very happy to have gotten this far. Unfortunately it gives a link when they choose to pay by check. Therefore, they really don't have to pay, just download and walk away happy.

Glenn

Try downloads controller contrib.

I am sorry but I don't know what you mean. This is my first trial at osCommerce and my first time on this bulletin board.

I have another idea: in the beginning of the process, I deleted the attributes (color, fabrics, and the like) and one of the attributes said something about "download" although it said more than that. The word "window" was in that phrase also. I would like someone to tell me what that was verbatim and I will add that as my attribute.

Meanwhile I'll see if I can figure out what download controller contrib means. :)

There is a long back story to this saga. 5 years ago I requested a quote from a company to do this very same thing and they quoted me $50,000. Obviously I am willing to work hard to figure this out.

Thanks.

Archived