• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to see/store cc numbers w/authorize.net

lisath

We're using Authorize.net as the payment gateway. They mask most of the credit card number so that we never see it. Sometimes it is necessary to use the card number for returns, etc., so we would like to find a way to capture that number in a database.

Can you tell me how to do that?

if u read your authorize.net agreement, you can not do this. all processing is done via authorize.net, including returns. see your authorize.net users guide.

I understand that they won't allow me to capture the number on their end, that's why I want to capture it on my end. The fulfillment house I'm working with is asking me to do this, and implying to my customer that I should be able to do it.

Are you saying that this is not a standard request on their part? Or that it is unethical for me to try to capture the credit card number? I'd really like to be able to respond to this request appropriately. If I should be able to grab these cc numbers, then I want to do it. Otherwise, I'm happy to tell them that it is not within their rights to be asking me.

Also, they're implying that the inability to grab the cc numbers is a default of OScommerce or of my abilities. What do you say to that?

if u read your authorize.net agreement, you can not do this.  all processing is done via authorize.net, including returns.  see your authorize.net users guide.

Once again, I'm wondering if I am literally unable to grab these CC numbers, so I can tell my client one way or the other. Please, any clarification would be great.

I understand that they won't allow me to capture the number on their end, that's why I want to capture it on my end. The fulfillment house I'm working with is asking me to do this, and implying to my customer that I should be able to do it.

Are you saying that this is not a standard request on their part? Or that it is unethical for me to try to capture the credit card number? I'd really like to be able to respond to this request appropriately. If I should be able to grab these cc numbers, then I want to do it. Otherwise, I'm happy to tell them that it is not within their rights to be asking me.

Also, they're implying that the inability to grab the cc numbers is a default of OScommerce or of my abilities. What do you say to that?

OK. That's a good start. Can you tell me if that is only your personal preference, or if having a customer's credit card number is undoable, unacceptable, unethical, or just undesirable from one person's point of view?

I really, really need an answer to this question.

I have a fulfillment company telling me I should be able to grab numbers so that they can process returns outside of authorize.net's parameters. Please tell me, if you can, whether or not this is (sorry to repeat) doable, ethical, acceptable, etc.

Thank You.

If i thought you were storing my credit card number I wouldnt shop with you!

Archived