• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Gzip compression problems

I have enabled gzip compression but I have a problem..

When I go to my site http://www.domain.com and check for gzip enabled it says that it isn't, but when I go to http://www.domain.com/index.php it says gzip is enabled.

WHY???????

Obviously when i get a visitor who has typed in domain.com they are going to visit the un gzipped page resulting in a longer page load and possible loss of a user due to not wanting to wait for it to load. Is there a reason for this??

Also would there be a way for an initial visitor to goto domain.com/index.php rather than it state there at domain.com/

I've not used gzip before on my sites before coming over to oscom, but as Im increasing content etc I need my pages to load faster, when I was on static pages I could optimise each page exactly as I needed.

Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Managed to sort it out myself.

For anyone in the same boat here was my solution.

Putting

php_flag zlib.output_compression on
php_value zlib.output_compression_level 5

into my .htaccess file and disabling compression in Oscom did the trick. My pages fly now :)

Managed to sort it out myself.

For anyone in the same boat here was my solution.

Putting

php_flag zlib.output_compression on
php_value zlib.output_compression_level 5

into my .htaccess file and disabling compression in Oscom did the trick. My pages fly now :)

Sounds interesting - any technical explanation why this would improve load speed ?

Also where in your .htaccess did you put the lines ?

thanks

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Sounds interesting - any technical explanation why this would improve load speed ?

Also where in your .htaccess did you put the lines ?

thanks

Charles

Just put the lines at the top of my htaccess. the code is to be used instead of the compression option in oscom as the oscom dosn't gzip the initial domain root page i.e domain.com, where as the htaccess code will compress all pages.

Archived