• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

State Sales tax question

ksaun

I have 7% sales tax setup on my site for any purchases made by people who live in Pennsylvania. The Problem is, everyone is getting charged the 7% no matter where the live.

Any Ideas??? :blink:

Thanks,

Keith

My Favorite Quote from a movie.

Question: How do you know women sooo well?

Answer: I think of a man, then take away reason and accountability.

In admin panel under "locations/taxes", click on "tax rates" enter new tax rate info and click on your state under "zone". Hope this helps.

I Already did that before I posted the question. Any other Ideas?? :blink:

What Happened to all the Big Brains out there? :huh:

Doesn't anyone have an idea why this is happening??

I have the same problem, except it is adding all the tax rates together for every tax zone. I ran a test with the customer (me) in Texas and in charged taxes for all other tax zones, including Texas. I've been looking through the forums with no answers.

Ok,

I might be on to something. I reconfigured the taxes and things seem to be working.

First setup the zone folder (ie-Texas or united States). WITHIN the folder insert a zone. Specifiy United States and Texas. Then setup your tax rate, and the state ( ie Texas) will apear in the drop down box. This should associate the tax to the state. Otherwise, it seems that if a tax is not assosiated, it will be charged to everyone. Once you setup, double check everything. I had to start from scratch. Hope this helps... :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hi All - I am having the same issue but in CA. Naegle - where so you make the changes that you suggest? Please be specific as I am a newbie to OSC whihc was set up by someone else. Thanks :rolleyes:

I am having a problem with my tax rates being compounded. Under Localization/Taxes, Tax Rates I see you can set to priority to add or compound tax rates, but I don't want either of these. My tax rates need to be comletely seperate.

BTW - thanks for everyones help! You guys(& gals) have been a great!

David

I am having a problem with my tax rates being compounded. Under Localization/Taxes, Tax Rates I see you can set to priority to add or compound tax rates, but I don't want either of these. My tax rates need to be comletely seperate.

BTW - thanks for everyones help! You guys(& gals) have been a great!

David

This might be opening another can of worms...but you're using multiple tax rates for California? We're based in LA county, and we have *one* tax rate (8.25%, Priority 1)...we've never had any problem with incorrect tax charges. I don't mean to lead this toward the old debate of whether California collects taxes at the point of sale or the place of purchase--simply suggesting that one tax rate with Priority 1 might solve your problem.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

ksaun, PA sales tax is 6% not 7.

Sales Tax is 7% for Allegheny County and Philadelphia and 6% for the rest of the state.

I should know I live here :thumbsup:

Sales Tax is 7% for Allegheny County and Philadelphia and 6% for the rest of the state.

I should know I live here

So do I. So then how do you make the adjustment for collecting the difference? The 1% is a point of sale tax for Philadelphia city and Allegheny County, so do you collect this and send it to the respective city/county tax dept?

So do I. So then how do you make the adjustment for collecting the difference? The 1% is a point of sale tax for Philadelphia city and Allegheny County, so do you collect this and send it to the respective city/county tax dept?

My Accountant takes care of the actual payments, but since I live in Allegheny County, I think I may only need to collect the 7% for the Allegheny County Tax. This rate I believe is what I think I should charge everyone in PA.

The Sales tax rate for Philly and the rest of the state may not apply to me since I am Located in Allegheny County, I will get in touch with my accountant and let you know for sure tomorrow.

My Accountant takes care of the actual payments, but since I live in Allegheny County, I think I may only need to collect the 7% for the Allegheny County Tax. This rate I believe is what I think I should charge everyone in PA.

The Sales tax rate for Philly and the rest of the state may not apply to me since I am Located in Allegheny County, I will get in touch with my accountant and let you know for sure tomorrow.

Archived