• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

HELP!!!! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!!!

Elitebags.net

My host's server just went down, taking down my entire site. He can not be located or contacted. He pretty much did the site, then left me out to dry. I need to know if I can switch to a new host by simply changing the DNS hostname and get everything back... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

If the server is down you cannot get a current database or site backup. If you change DNS servers it may take 48-72 hours.

Looks like you are out of luck until your server admin can be located.

Bobby

pointing your domain to new dns server will only "move" your domain name to the new server. it takes a few days to show up.

you will need to have a backup of your store and database to upload to the new server.

you made backups right? :(

pointing your domain to new dns server will only "move" your domain name to the new server. it takes a few days to show up.

you will need to have a backup of your store and database to upload to the new server.

you made backups right?? :(

Ok, my server just returned... Since this guy is HIGHLY unreliable... I want to completely switch my site over to another host... How would I go about doing that?

Also, I'm using cPanel as a webhost manager... this is where I was generating my backups from. Now it is giving me an error. It says "Unactivated License File". Is there any way to generate a backup throuhg osCommerce?

Ok, my server just returned... Since this guy is HIGHLY unreliable... I want to completely switch my site over to another host... How would I go about doing that?

first thing i would do CREATE BACKUPS OF YOUR SITE

backup your files and folders. backup your database.

keep your unreliable server up until you research and pick out a new host

once you settle on a new host and sign up then switch the dns servers or have the new host do it for you.

once your new host has signed you up you can upload your files and database to them. it wont show up on the new host until the dns change takes place.

Your host and your webguy are two different entities. Usually. If your web guy designed your site and delivered it on cd. That's usually all they are required to complete. If however you agree that he would put it up on a host for you, or he included a hosting plan in his costs..then it would be his responsibility to put it up and get it started for you. But after that, usually you have to contact your host to get support, not your webguy. If you webguy did not give you your host information and account information - then yes he did leave you high and dry because what if something happened to him? Well I'll tell ya :) You can 'reclaim' any website very easily. If you have a business letter head and your drivers license handy, you could probably take over your website in a matter of a few days. You might also want to look and find out what name your website is registered to. If it is your webguy, you are going to need to reclaim you webaddress through the registrar it was registered at. If you have this information, you might want to verify that your name is listed at least as the owner.

S

Archived