• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

German CD-Shop with Frames

Hallo together,

i worked 2 winter on this shop. i will go live with this shop in march or april.

i know, i had to do some work on it, but i didn't have enough time :blush:

Shop-Name: CD-Markt-Online

Please give me your feedback.

Next Step: Go Live and than create an english version...

bye and a good time

Norbert

Germany

I see 7 (seven == sieben) scrollbars and the page IS English :(

Schulnote: 5? (only because it's working when I click somewhere)

BTW Frames are so 1900+ and totally useless in this situation.

Everybody looks for TableLess Liquid Design nowadays and you go back to frames + tables :(

And yes there are other browsers than IE

"If you're working on something new, then you are necessarily an amateur."

At this point, about the only difference I see from the stock osC layout is the addition of far too many frames!

I wouldn't have the patience to scroll in so many different places just to get where I wanted to go. I would strongly suggest you reconsider the layout before putting too much time into it.

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Back to the drawing board

frames are dead no longer used especialy in php

standard layout

nothing major

one thing its a fast site

Regards Andy

I see 7 (seven == sieben) scrollbars and the page IS English :(

Schulnote: 5?  (only because it's working when I click somewhere)

BTW Frames are so 1900+ and totally useless in this situation.

Everybody looks for TableLess Liquid Design nowadays and you go back to frames + tables :(

And yes there are other browsers than IE

Hi

thanks for your posting.

i tested the shop with 3 browser (IE, Mozilla, Firefoy...), different pc's, ...

and i only see one scrollbar in the main frame...

so i'd like to have it.

do you work with an english configured pc ? (because the language)

i don't thionk so, that in this situation frames are bad.

i allways have the boxes for search, the categories, the types... in one view on the left side...

i don't have to scroll up when i need the search-box, or the other informations like basket and so...

the disscussion about frames and no frames is so old... 1900+ :rolleyes:

and if you read the forum some people would like to have a shop with frames.

please give me information about your browser fpr my testing..

thanks and bye

nobsi

My screen is set at 800x600 resolution, and there are MANY frames in play. If you PM me your Email address, I'll send you a screenshot.

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

Hi

thanks for your posting.

i tested the shop with 3 browser (IE, Mozilla, Firefoy...), different pc's, ...

and i only see one scrollbar in the main frame...

so i'd like to have it.

do you work with an english configured pc ? (because the language)

i don't thionk so, that in this situation frames are bad.

i allways have the boxes for search, the categories, the types... in one view on the left side...

i don't have to scroll up when i need the search-box, or the other informations like basket and so...

the disscussion about frames and no frames is so old... 1900+  :rolleyes:

and if you read the forum some people would like to have a shop with frames.

please give me information about your browser fpr my testing..

thanks and bye

nobsi

Hallo Norbert,

You may have tested with 3 browsers but you don't know what resolution and screensize I was looking with and you will never know or find-out easily either.

I see 2 scrollbars in the top-, left-, and rightframe and a 7th vertical one in the center.

And pls do read up on why in 99.99% of the case frames are bad, Search Engines eg are a big issue.

Another one is that yr (redirected?) framessolution is not very well done, how and where do i go from this or any other frame?

http://www.nr1net.de/cd-markt-online/index...d900b72842411a4

And pls. consider the situation that I want to send one of my friends the link to your U2 album. How do I do that? Do you really think that I'm going to tell him to click here and there and there and also there?

In earlier days (Netscape 4) there were a few valid reasons to use frames, one of them was to compare 2 items (houses on sale eg) next to each other, the other reason I can't remember at the moment.

Never untill your posting did I see someone asking for osCommerce in a frames set-up, but I agree I can have missed the one poster asking.

BTW, you guessed right, my Mozilla and Opera speak [EN] only :)

In case you really want your header image advertising always on top, search for a CSS-solution called: "Fixed horizontal bar" (incl. the IE 5 and 6 hack).

MfG

John

"If you're working on something new, then you are necessarily an amateur."

I've never been a fan of page frames, so my opinion might be slightly biased. They feel suffocating and distracting. I would discourage anyone from using them, unless you skin the vertical and horizontal scrollers via CSS so that they are visually appealing.

I like your animated logo....suggests interaction and works well. The album thumbnail images on the header arent very appealing, tho. You may want to build a uniquely shaped, custom graphic header that incorporates your animated CDs.

The infobox header graphics (silver) look good. If that's the style you want to work with, I suggest your header repeat the metallic silver theme.

Looks like you still need to develop the text files for your site within the languages folder.

Good luck.

Carpe Carp: Seize the Fish.

Hi

This is not a good opening line for your store:

"This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional."

:D

I may have chosen a bad moment, but your homepage is the standard oscommerce intro and there are no graphics?

Mark

http://82.112.102.87/

(site in progress)

If you MUST use frames at least align them right so you don't have sideways scroll in columns... maybe if you made it so site automatically opened to full screen width you could possibly pull this off. Heck I even had to scroll the header to view the whole thing....

hallo,

thanks for your feedback.

you are right, the language files only fixed in german, because the first version of the shop should be only for german language.

but it is not so much work, i translate the text to english next time.

at the first time i had a silver heading-line with a mouse-over effect.

the pictures of the covers in grey/silver, and when mouse-over the cover was colored.

i thought it looks a little bit "boring" when everything is silver...

may be i check my old version of the header and create a silver heading-line without mouse-over.

some people have problems with the scrollbars. i didn't know why.

i only have one scrollbar in the mainscreen.

when i resize the window to a very small size, i have only one scrollbar, on my test with different resolutions (800x600 and higher), on different displays (17" Screen, 19" LCD, 14" Notebook), everytime only one scrollbar.

i didn't have to much time to check where the problem comes from, so i will create a shop-version without frames.

may be it is the better way, because the shop must go live next time.

thanks and bye

norbert

I've never been a fan of page frames, so my opinion might be slightly biased.  They feel suffocating and distracting.  I would discourage anyone from using them, unless you skin the vertical and horizontal scrollers via CSS so that they are visually appealing. 

I like your animated logo....suggests interaction and works well.  The album thumbnail images on the header arent very appealing, tho.  You may want to build a uniquely shaped, custom graphic header that incorporates your animated CDs.

The infobox header graphics (silver) look good.  If that's the style you want to work with, I suggest your header repeat the metallic silver theme.

Looks like you still need to develop the text files for your site within the languages folder.

Good luck.

Archived