• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Database backup interval?

MovieMaG

Hi all,

I have a small problem. When I installed OScommerce I was kind of overprotective about my database :) I set the backup interval on 5 minutes (because I figured I would be in the system short periods so I would want a backup then).

But I spend a whole lot more time in the admin than expected, and each dbasebackup is around 5 MB (also because there is a lot of other stuff in my dbasE). My question is, where is the option to set the dbase interval time? Because I can't find it anywhere in the admin and can't remember where I changed it before. You can images the shitload of traffic on mu domain because of this. Thanks in advance.

MaG

You'll have set this backup (probably) from within your web hosting control panel - in all probability you have selected it as a 'whole site' backup. Once a day is enough for even a busy website, and if the website is not so busy then every few days or even weekly. You have to balance losing some data against consuming resources with over-frequent backups. In any event, providing you have an up-to-date copy of your website files held offline then all you need to backup is the database.

Vger

Hi, thanx for your reply. I'm very sure I didn't set the backup rate from my webhosting control panel, because it's a backup that is being made in the oscommerce backup folder. I'm very sure I set i somewhwere in the code or menu, but can't find it anywhere now.

Any other ideas?

Are you using osCommerce or a 'loaded' version? Because the functionality you describe does not exist by default within the osCommerce 'admin' control panel.

Are you sure you didn't just set the 'backup' folder as the destination for the backup from your hosting control panel?

Vger

• 3 weeks later...
Are you using osCommerce or a 'loaded' version?  Because the functionality you describe does not exist by default within the osCommerce 'admin' control panel.

Are you sure you didn't just set the 'backup' folder as the destination for the backup from your hosting control panel?

Vger

You got me confused there for a moment, and I actually looked in the plesk of my domain for this. But ehen I realized that from time to time when I click something in OScommerce (yeas it is oscommer, what do you mean with loaded version? additions maybe?) it says: "creating database backup" on top of the page (in the pink warning style). So it really HAS to be in OScommerce, and not on my domain itself.

Could it be that I have added SO much trhough the monts that I cant remember that I added a dbase backup utility? lol.

MaG

Archived