• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Opinions please

Any suggestions welcome.

Select Towbars

I'm a newbie to all this, but tried my best. I think its a bit slow to load, which I think is the javascript/php used for the drop down boxes.

Cheers  :D

Hi

A few observation - in no order

You have 0 prices - is this a live site - if it is - you wont be in business long at those prices :D

see http://www.selecttowbars.co.uk/index.php?cPath=22_25 for an example

The header logo could be better - a professional will charge for this service - but the return in good initial impressions is priceless

I am not too keen on the Blue \ Orange mix - personal - I know but I thought I'd just mention it.

Your privacy refers to 128 bit security - Have you got SSL ?- show the seal People are wising up to shopping on secure sites - if you have the seal show it

Why are you hiding oscommerce in black font on blue background - are you not proud of osC :D

Finally - make the site easy to use for surfers on 800x600 res - narrow your table - people don't like scrolling left and right.

hth

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Cheers Charles,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. All helpful and very much appreciated.

You have 0 prices - is this a live site - if it is - you wont be in business long at those prices :D

see http://www.selecttowbars.co.uk/index.php?cPath=22_25 for an example

Gav -> Sorted. Thanks for the heads up.

The header logo could be better - a professional will charge for this service - but the return in good initial impressions is priceless

Gav -> Yep i agree. I'm no artist. Put something else up now, may not be any better though! Need to call in the aid of an artistic friend for this, me thinks!

I am not too keen on the Blue \ Orange mix - personal - I know but I thought I'd just mention it.

Gav -> The misses liked it! :D

Your privacy refers to 128 bit security - Have you got SSL ?- show the seal People are wising up to shopping on secure sites - if you have the seal show it

Gav -> I've got shared SSL. Does that count? Can I still put the seal on my site?

Why are you hiding oscommerce in black font on blue background - are you not proud of osC :D

Gav ->Whoops. :blush: Can be hard to find where to change things in oscommece at first! Sorted it now though.

Finally - make the site easy to use for surfers on 800x600 res - narrow your table - people don't like scrolling left and right.

Gav ->Never considered that. Newbie mistake!

Thanks again.

Gav.

EXCELLENT main navigational bar! Phenonemal filtering concept to easily browse thru the site. GREAT work.

It appears you dont have too many product photos. Photos really make the sale happen....based on our experience. ;)

You may want to skin your infoboxes and change them from standard table colors extracted from the stylesheet to modified header images that compliment the design you made for the homepage nav menu.

Also, I suggest you change the "SELECT" designation for reference to the main page, as people may not understand that this is how to get to the root of your site. Perhaps you can rename it ENTRANCE or WELCOME, etc.

Again, a good, creative job well done!

Carpe Carp: Seize the Fish.

EXCELLENT main navigational bar!  Phenonemal filtering concept to easily browse thru the site.  GREAT work.

It appears you dont have too many product photos.  Photos really make the sale happen....based on our experience. ;)

You may want to skin your infoboxes and change them from standard table colors extracted from the stylesheet to modified header images that compliment the design you made for the homepage nav menu.

Also, I suggest you change the "SELECT" designation for reference to the main page, as people may not understand that this is how to get to the root of your site.  Perhaps you can rename it ENTRANCE or WELCOME, etc.

Again, a good, creative job well done!

Cheers, for taking the time to make suggestions, much appreciated. And thanks for the positive feedback. That Nav Bar took me ages. Still isn't perfect. Going to try and make it so visitors don't have to complete all boxes for results to be listed. But I'm not recovered enough from the last late night session of hair-pulling-frustration to do it just yet. :D

Not sure what to do about product images. Towbars are pretty boring things and all the images would be the same, thats why there aren't many. Could dig some up for the other products though, if i really try.

Really like your idea of skinning the info boxes like the nav menu. Cool! Thanks. :thumbsup:

I agree, the home page reference needs changing.

Thanks again, moonlitsun. :D

Site has been dropped from Google! :'(

Select Towbars

I have been listed in google for about a week now, with googlebot coming everyday. Googlebot came this morning and now my site is not listed in google, and can't find it with "info:www.selecttowbars.co.uk".

Does any body have any experience of this?

Could it be I have too high a keyword density for the phrase "tow bar"?

Also I recently copied my site from its installed directory to the root of the site, so people can go to www.selecttowbars.co.uk instead of www.selecttowbars.co.uk/shop/. The old site is still there (as a sort of backup) and I have since made changes to the copy of the site in the root directory but not the copy in /shop. I found yesterday a directory was listing the old url, so I set up a redirect from the old url to the new one. Could any of this be the problem (i.e. duplication of content)?

regards

Gav.

Site has been dropped from  Google! :'(

Select Towbars

I have been listed in google for about a week now, with googlebot coming everyday. Googlebot came this morning and now my site is not listed in google, and can't find it with "info:www.selecttowbars.co.uk".

Does any body have any experience of this?

Could it be I have too high a keyword density for the phrase "tow bar"?

Also I recently copied my site from its installed directory to the root of the site, so people can go to www.selecttowbars.co.uk instead of www.selecttowbars.co.uk/shop/. The old site is still there (as a sort of backup) and I have since made changes to the copy of the site in the root directory but not the copy in /shop.  I found yesterday a directory was listing the old url, so I set up a redirect from the old url to the new one. Could any of this be the problem (i.e. duplication of content)?

regards

Gav.

I wouldnt worry too much about this - I don't think it's keyword density abuse -more like googlebot changing things - Google does this ALL the time - check back in a week and you are listed again.

The marvels of that bot and the hoops it puts nervous webmasters thru is an ideal subject for a comedy club.

If you want to understand more - i suggest you lurk on forum boards such as anthony blakes - where this and other seo topics are discussed with (frightening) regularity.

hth

Charles

ps - for a site one week old to have been listed is already an achievement - many new sites take far longer before they even make an appearnace let alone a good position on the directories.

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

I wouldnt worry too much about this - I don't think it's keyword density abuse -more like googlebot changing things - Google does this ALL the time - check back in a week and you are listed again.

The marvels of that bot and the hoops it puts nervous webmasters thru is an ideal subject for a comedy club.

If you want to understand more - i suggest you lurk on forum boards such as anthony blakes - where this and other seo topics are discussed with (frightening) regularity.

hth

Charles

ps - for a site one week old to have been listed is already an achievement - many new sites take far longer before they even make an appearnace let alone a good position on the directories.

Phew! :-" . Thanks Charles,

When I found out I did a quick search on the web about getting dropped, and found some stuff that mentioned getting blacklisted or something, and never being in google again, and ....... well, lost my cool for a second! :D

Thank God for people like you posting on this forum and helping us Newbies. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

Gav.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've got a question. Tried posting in the shipping forum but no luck so far, so I thought seeing as you guys are so helpful I'll try here instead.

I want to provide free delivery to England, Wales, and Southern Scotland, but charge ?15 delivery for areas in north Scotland, Ireland, Isle of Wight, Isles of Scilly and ?25 for Isle of Mann and Channel islands. I also do not want to allow delivery anywhere outside the UK.

I've searched the forums and found some stuff about doing it with zones but not a complete answer (i.e. one I understand! :blush: ).

Any further comments (good or bad) on my site are more than welcome.

Select Towbars

thanks,

Gavin

Archived