The e-commerce.

cDynamic Meta Tags

clarocque

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I've had a good look through this section and it seems no one else is getting the same problem I'm getting.

The version I've installed is V1.5 with V15a (corrected SQL file)

Installation was nice and straight forward and everything works perfectly apart from the description and keywords are being doubled up for some reason?

This is how the pages are being indexed:

Description: Spares for Motorcycles, Minimotos, Motocross and ATV Quad bikes. Spares for Motorcycles, Minimotos, Motocross and ATV Quad bikes.

Keywords: east sussex, motorcycle, spares, parts, accessories, helmets, bodywork, clothing, boots, alarms, security, tools, - east sussex, motorcycle, spares, parts, accessories, helmets, bodywork, clothing,

Has anyone else noticed this?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Gazza....

There is no justice ...... Just Us!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I've installed and running. =) I had the duplicates in the title as well, but only for the index page and I'm not sure, but I think that's gone away! Which would be very nice, possibly just a cache thing?

The reason for this note is rather than getting keywords in the meta, all I get is the word "array"

Looks like:

<META NAME="Keywords" Content="array">

Thoughts? It sees it as you can tell, but as an array rather than a string.

And the second oddness is that the page title text seems to get cut off at a certain length in the meta text.

Looks like:

<title>Animals - Nice text here about animals - The Next Level Of</title>

As you can see the title is about twice that length as typed in the admin, but cuts off at the same place as what's displayed at the top of the browser in IE. Kinda curious. Would like the title to be the same size as the title I type in the admin area, even if it only displays a part of it at the top of the browser. Since this is actually for search purposes more than display.

Think that's it! Any thoughts or pointers are much appreciated! Thanks for a great contrib!

-C

Hi!

I've installed and running. =) I had the duplicates in the title as well, but only for the index page and I'm not sure, but I think that's gone away! Which would be very nice, possibly just a cache thing?

The reason for this note is rather than getting keywords in the meta, all I get is the word "array"

Looks like:

<META NAME="Keywords" Content="array">

Thoughts? It sees it as you can tell, but as an array rather than a string.

And the second oddness is that the page title text seems to get cut off at a certain length in the meta text.

Looks like:

<title>Animals - Nice text here about animals - The Next Level Of</title>

As you can see the title is about twice that length as typed in the admin, but cuts off at the same place as what's displayed at the top of the browser in IE. Kinda curious. Would like the title to be the same size as the title I type in the admin area, even if it only displays a part of it at the top of the browser. Since this is actually for search purposes more than display.

Think that's it! Any thoughts or pointers are much appreciated! Thanks for a great contrib!

-C

Ok I got rid of the "array" thing by changing the code in the meta.php file to:

foreach ($splitstr as $key => $spstr)

instead of:

foreach ($splitstr as $spstr)

looks like possibly a bug in php 4.4.2 ?

Also I changed this:

function meta_create_title($metatitle, $length = 70)

to this:

function meta_create_title($metatitle, $length = 150)

To get the page titles to show up correctly in length in the page code. I set it at 150, but it could be set at what ever you want. Does any one know if there is any SEO problem caused by increasing the length? Or why it was set at 70? Thx!

All I have left now is the same duplicating text thing as the guy above where everything shows up twice in the meta tags. =)

I too had the same issue with duplicate tag information. I think it's in this piece of code (in meta_tags.php) around line 260.

# Keywords

tep_not_null(HEAD_KEY_TAG_INDEX) && $default==true

? $key.=STORE_KEYWORD.', '

: NULL;

//removed due to duplication of tags

//tep_not_null(HEAD_KEY_TAG_ALL)

// ? $key.=' - '. STORE_KEYWORD

// : NULL;

As you can see, I commented out the secong tep_not_null statement and it seems to work fine - no more duplicates. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what this case is supposed to cover so make this mod at your own risk!

Hello!

I want to thank everybody who contributed to cDynamic Meta Tag! I think this is great! Excellent job! Very easy to install!

Now, I have some dummy questions... (I am a newbie, so please bear with me):

1. For step 5, how do you configure the basic parameters? I don't know what to write between the '' :( ... can anyone give me an ex.?

# For all pages using meta_tags:
define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL',''); # Title
define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_ALL',''); # Description
define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_ALL',''); # Keywords

# For default index page (no products or categories)
define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_INDEX',''); # Title
define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_INDEX',''); # Description
define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_INDEX',''); # Keywords

2. Fot index.php, what do I have to do for the keywords to show up? I've been reading this forum, but I am still confused .. :( The title and description appear all right but not the keywords... here is My Webpage

Thank you!

Simone

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A little problem (well hopefully) I have STS and the SEO contribs installed I installed this contrib and I can get the title of my site showing but nothing else.

When I add to STS_display_output.php this

/*
// BOF: WebMakers.com Changed: Header Tag Controller v1.0
if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {
 require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');
} else {
?>
 <title><?php echo TITLE ?></title>
<?php
}
// EOF: WebMakers.com Changed: Header Tag Controller v1.0
*/
# cDynamic Meta Tags
require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'meta_tags.php');
#

I get this error message

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare meta_create_title() (previously declared in /var/www/html/catalog/includes/functions/meta.php:30) in /var/www/html/catalog/includes/functions/meta.php on line 30

But when I change back to this in STS_display_output.php

// STS: ADD: Support for WebMakers.com's Header Tag Controller contribution
 // Capture the output
 require(STS_START_CAPTURE);

// Replaced by header_tags.php
require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');
require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');
 } else {
echo "<title>" . TITLE . "</title>";
 }

$sts_block_name = 'headertags';
 require(STS_STOP_CAPTURE);

// STS: EOADD: Support for WebMakers.com's Header Tag Controller contribution

It is fine working with the title but without the other tags.

Any ideas.

I too had the same issue with duplicate tag information. I think it's in this piece of code (in meta_tags.php) around line 260.

# Keywords

tep_not_null(HEAD_KEY_TAG_INDEX) && $default==true

? $key.=STORE_KEYWORD.', '

: NULL;

//removed due to duplication of tags

//tep_not_null(HEAD_KEY_TAG_ALL)

// ? $key.=' - '. STORE_KEYWORD

// : NULL;

As you can see, I commented out the secong tep_not_null statement and it seems to work fine - no more duplicates. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what this case is supposed to cover so make this mod at your own risk!

This is a great contribution and it is working for me. But I have a problem whereby my product descriptions use common words a lot. This results in this contribution putting the same word in the meta tags maybe 10 times or more. As search engines frown on word repetition this is a bad thing. Plus it takes up room that might be better used by other words that might be added.

Are you guys talking about the same problem here? Is it easy to modify this contribution so that it will only insert a word or phrase into the meta tags once?

Thought I would ask befor I started hacking around my code ;)

Hi all,

This contribution seems to be exactly what I need, but I'm having trouble getting it to work with STS. I originally had STS v2 installed, but took this out and installed the latest v4.1 hoping this would make it easier to implement cDynamic Meta Tags.

As I have a very basic knowledge of PHP, is anyone able to give me some pointers on how to install this, as STS strips the header tags from the scripts.

Cheers

Andy

Hi all,

This contribution seems to be exactly what I need, but I'm having trouble getting it to work with STS. I originally had STS v2 installed, but took this out and installed the latest v4.1 hoping this would make it easier to implement cDynamic Meta Tags.

As I have a very basic knowledge of PHP, is anyone able to give me some pointers on how to install this, as STS strips the header tags from the scripts.

Cheers

Andy

Sorted it.

For those who are struggling with STS v4 and cDynamic Meta Tags, here's what you have to do...

1. Remove any reference to the <title> tags in your pages, i.e. index.php, product_info.php

2. Comment out the line in includes/modules/sts_inc/general.php as follows:

// $sts->template['headertags']= "<title>" . TITLE ."</title>";

3. Place meta_tags.php into your includes folder but rename it to header_tags.php

4. Open the STS module from your admin panel and add headertags.php to the end of your "Files for normal template" section, i.e. it should read something like sts_user_code.php;headertags.php

That's it.

Great contribution ! Thanks to all who put it together.

Andy

Excellent contribution, especially for large stores. I got it up and running without any trouble. Thank you very much!

I have one question - Is it possible to use the category descriptions (creloaded) to create the meta description tag for category pages, similar to how the meta description tag for products pages uses the product description?

On my site, I have included detailed category descriptions and this content is important for my SEO. I'd like the first two sentences in my category descriptions to show up in the meta description tag.

Any help would be appreciated...

Hi,

A little problem (well hopefully) I have STS and the SEO contribs installed I installed this contrib and I can get the title of my site showing but nothing else.

When I add to STS_display_output.php this

/*
} else {
?>
 <title><?php echo TITLE ?></title>
<?php
}
*/
# cDynamic Meta Tags
#

I get this error message

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare meta_create_title() (previously declared in /var/www/html/catalog/includes/functions/meta.php:30) in /var/www/html/catalog/includes/functions/meta.php on line 30

But when I change back to this in STS_display_output.php

// Capture the output

} else {
echo "<title>" . TITLE . "</title>";
 }

It is fine working with the title but without the other tags.

Any ideas.

Needs to be:

// Capture the output

} else {
 }

Hey!

Im wondering how to implement a static text like: MyShop

And stick it in the Title for ALL pages, infront of the Product titles etc.

Looking in:

meta_tags.php

meta.php

/language...

Cant seem to find it

hello,

i would use this great contrib with STS v4.1

each conttrib works without the other.

also i have tried

1. Remove any reference to the <title> tags in your pages, i.e. index.php, product_info.php

2. Comment out the line in includes/modules/sts_inc/general.php as follows:

// $sts->template['headertags']= "<title>" . TITLE ."</title>";

3. Place meta_tags.php into your includes folder but rename it to header_tags.php

4. Open the STS module from your admin panel and add headertags.php to the end of your "Files for normal template" section, i.e. it should read something like sts_user_code.php;headertags.php

hope anyvody works withe this contribs.

bg

Michael

hi,

now both contribs together running.

STS v4.1

+

cDynamic Meta Tags v1.4

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. remove <title> tags from all pages in the catalog directory,

in index.php, product_info.php

delete

<?php

# cDynamic Meta Tags

/*<title><?php echo TITLE; ?>*/

#

?>

2. copy your meta_tags.php into catalog/includes/modules/sts_inc/

rename it to "headertags.php"

- Go to your admin panel, modules, STS.

- For each module installed, add 'headertags.php' to the list of files to include. Example:

for the default module, you have a parameter named 'Files for normal template'. By default it contains only

'sts_user_code.php'.

If you modify this parameter to 'sts_user_code.php;headertags.php' you will have Header Tags

Controller working for all pages

using the default template (which name is defined in this same module).

For the index module, the parameter is called 'Files for index.php template'.

For product_info module, there are 2 parameters: 'Files for normal template' and 'Files for content template'.

- That's it. Now STS will automatically add meta tags to the pages header, no need to modify your templates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

only the allprods.php

shows no title, keywords and descryption

anyone use this contrib

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...search,allprods

and how to fix this.

thanks in advance

Michael

hello,

how can i display prices from the database table products

i.e. products_ship_price_one

in STS 3 i use this code, but in 4.1 i cant display at the product_info

<?php echo $currencies->format($products_ship_price_one /116*100); ?>

how must i modify the code to show the results ?

thanks in advance

bg

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Great contrib and sure makes life simple for managing the site.

I am using v1.3 on a site and wondered how I can get the product_info page to display the category names too?

What I want in the page title is - "Product_name - Category name - some text"

Is this possible in v1.3 ? If so what files and which part do I make the changes in?

I plan to upgrade to the latest version but I want to get this fix done until then.

thanks for all help and support in advance

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

i installed everything and when i replace the info between <head> and </head> on one of my pages i get the error message

Warning: main(DIR_WS_INCLUDESmeta_tags.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/xtremest/public_html/new/forums.php on line 9

Warning: main(DIR_WS_INCLUDESmeta_tags.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/xtremest/public_html/new/forums.php on line 9

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'DIR_WS_INCLUDESmeta_tags.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/xtremest/public_html/new/forums.php on line 9

i have copied the meta_tags.php file to /includes/meta_tags.php

thanks for your help

Nail

Hey Everyone,

I have a problem.

I am using cDynamic Meta Tags 1.3, and only SOME pages have the meta tags in them.

This page does not have the meta tags in it: http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...xed-p-3467.html

The Source code for that web page states the following (note: it is the web page source code - NOT the php source code):

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<title>- StoneBridge Computing</title>

<META NAME="Description" Content="">

<META NAME="Keywords" Content="`~`~`">

This one doesn't work either: http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...ock-p-3473.html

They all seem to have the same META details in the Source Code (in the web page source code - NOT the php source code).

This page DOES work: http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...-fdd-p-719.html

The problem seems to be with some of the products_info.php pages (some work but some don't), and the index.php ones seem to work.

Does anyone have any idea?

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Everyone,

I have a problem.

I am using cDynamic Meta Tags 1.3, and only SOME pages have the meta tags in them.

This page does not have the meta tags in it: http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...xed-p-3467.html

The Source code for that web page states the following (note: it is the web page source code - NOT the php source code):

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<title>- StoneBridge Computing</title>

<META NAME="Description" Content="">

<META NAME="Keywords" Content="`~`~`">

This one doesn't work either: http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...ock-p-3473.html

They all seem to have the same META details in the Source Code (in the web page source code - NOT the php source code).

This page DOES work: http://www.stonebridgecomputing.com.au/cat...-fdd-p-719.html

The problem seems to be with some of the products_info.php pages (some work but some don't), and the index.php ones seem to work.

Does anyone have any idea?

Cheers,

Chris

Does any one have any idea at all? I still cannot seem to work it out unfortunately.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Hi,

I have STS PLUS 4.0.7 installed and have tried to get this V1.4 of this contibution working but with little success.

I followed these instructions:

1. remove <title> tags from all pages in the catalog directory,

in index.php, product_info.php

delete

<?php

# cDynamic Meta Tags

/*<title><?php echo TITLE; ?>*/

#

?>

2. copy your meta_tags.php into catalog/includes/modules/sts_inc/

rename it to "headertags.php"

- Go to your admin panel, modules, STS.

- For each module installed, add 'headertags.php' to the list of files to include. Example:

for the default module, you have a parameter named 'Files for normal template'. By default it contains only

'sts_user_code.php'.

If you modify this parameter to 'sts_user_code.php;headertags.php' you will have Header Tags

Controller working for all pages

using the default template (which name is defined in this same module).

For the index module, the parameter is called 'Files for index.php template'.

For product_info module, there are 2 parameters: 'Files for normal template' and 'Files for content template'.

- That's it. Now STS will automatically add meta tags to the pages header, no need to modify your templates.

but still not working, I get the shop title on every page but no product info etc.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET THIS WORKING??Please

I do have a .htaccess file in my cache directory saying:

AuthType Basic

Authname "No access"

AuthUserFile .htnopasswd

AuthGroupFile /dev/null

Require valid-user

is that normal?!

Many thanks, please help :)

Becki