• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

cDynamic Meta Tags

clarocque

i added a new version and hope people give feedback and correct if needed any errors,

for upgrading compare the language files and also , should remove the

STORE_DESCRIPT

STORE_METDEX

STORE_KEYWORD

from the database

any one having mysql knoledge to do an upgrade .sql is welcome

Hi,

I've installed the contibution and everything works ok except the "<" sign that appears on my index page.

Here is the link to see it:

www.orbitalcomputers.ro/catalog

Viewing the source cod in IE looks like tis:

< <title>Calculatoare - Orbital Computers</title>

<META NAME="Description" Content="Calculatoare from Orbital Computers">

How could I fix it to change this to the correct code?

It should be

<title>Calculatoare - Orbital Computers</title>

Thanks for your help in advance

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem, Go into \catalog\includes\languages\english\meta_tags.php and look at the last line in the file past the ?> and you will see a extra < , you need to remove that.

Regards,

-K-

Hi,

I've installed the contibution and everything works ok except the "<" sign that appears on my index page.

Here is the link to see it:

www.orbitalcomputers.ro/catalog

Viewing the source cod in IE looks like tis:

< <title>Calculatoare - Orbital Computers</title>

How could I fix it to change this to the correct code?

It should be

<title>Calculatoare - Orbital Computers</title>

Thanks for your help in advance

Hey guys

I've just installed cDynamic Meta Tags v1.6 and its all working fine except i get a < at the top my site now? I've checked to see if I'd hit any keys but it all looks clean. I also checked my meta_tag.php lang file and that all looks in good order.

Thanks

PS:

If you want to take a look at my store find it here

<EDIT>

Sorry must of been posting the same time, yep I see the rouge > and deleted it.

Cheers

Edited by zarren

I had the same problem, Go into \catalog\includes\languages\english\meta_tags.php and look at the last line in the file past the ?> and you will see a extra < , you need to remove that.

Regards,

-K-

Yes, I got it!

It is right as you've said Kilaz.

That solved my problem.

Thanx a lot, Sire!!!!!!

:)

I just installed V1.6 for the 5th time in 2 days I can't seem to figure out

where I am going wrong I installed the sql, followed all of the directions but when

I view the source on my home page this is what I get.

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html dir="LTR" lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<title>Sissy's Treasures and Gifts</title>
 <[color="#FF0000"]META NAME[/color]="Description" Content="Sissy's Treasures and Gifts -">
 <[color="#FF0000"]META NAME[/color]="Keywords" Content="">
<base href="http://www.sissystreasuresandgifts.com/">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
</head>

I entered the information in the admin section but still no luck. I know it works on the product pages.

<title>Lady of the Manor Doll - STCD-37100 - Sissy's Treasures and Gifts</title>
 <[color="#FF0000"]META NAME[/color]="Description" Content="Lady of the Manor Doll (STCD-37100) - Make way for the belle of the ball! Absolutely beautiful in richest forest-green velvet and loads of ivory lace, this auburn-haired glamor girl is sure to be the star of your collection....">
 <[color="#FF0000"]META NAME[/color]="Keywords" Content="lady of the manor doll, stcd-37100, dolls, collectible,">

Just not index page. Also I don't want the model # to show so I disabled it in admin but it is still showing up. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

:blink:

Edited by Allena

There is something weird going on with the meta tags contrib.

It is inserting text in serveral places. For example:

bytmc

<title>The Molding of a Champion by: Children-Youth - A Place of Hope Store -</title>

<META NAME="Description" Content="The Molding of a Champion (bytmc) by Children-Youth - The Molding of a Champion Helping Your Child Shape a Winning Destiny Winning Strategies for nurturing future life champions Practical parenting advice from a leading...">

<META NAME="Keywords" Content="the molding of a champion, bytmc books, children-youth, books, videos, dvd, supplements for eating disorders, depression, abuse, store">

I also find the term in a few places on the page:

href="http://www.aplaceofhopestore.com/molding-champion-p-69.html" class="headerNavigation">bytmc</a></td>

<td class="pageHeading" valign="top">The Molding of a Champion<br><span class="smallText">[bytmc]</span></td>

This is happening to every product page, but with different phrases. Anotehr page is doing the same thing with the phrase bahsea.

Where in the world are these terms coming from? They are not in my original product pages.

Is this something from the SEO contrib?

any answer on this?

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone..

I have installed before cdynamic meta tags and all meta tag was good, after yasu (sef url redirection). Now, I cant see updated dynamic meta tags. Do you know a possible fix to make work them together?

Title too short + can't desable Show Manufacturer in title

I install cDynamic Meta Tag, and most of worked as plan (thanks for this very usefull contrib)

I have a couple a think that doesn't wok:

- Show Manufacturer in title doesn't work: whether I set it to thrue or false it always show it if it is set. This is a problem for us as use the manufacturer field to filter what product we want in fron page.

- Title is to short : I have try to make some in meta.php but it didn't change much

Any idear?

You can check the site at www.tousvoscadeaux.com

Edited by WebInSpirit

JRL

WebInSpirit

Hosting & other internet solution

What I notice is that this is a great contrib. the only problem is that is cuts of The title!. I want to have my page title a bit longer but it gets cut off. The same with keywords it cuts of off at 200 characters. is there a way to change this ?

hi,

I have installed the contrib and it is generally working very well - Many thanks to all who have helped write and develop this.

Two small problems I am having is,

1) I am not getting meta description or keywords on my product pages (they do appear on other catergory pages and sub category pages etc)

2) I am getting lots of repeats of my store description in my meta descriptions (text set in meta_tags.php)

If anyone can advise on these two small issues I would be most gratefull,

many thanks,

anthony

hi,

I have installed the contrib and it is generally working very well - Many thanks to all who have helped write and develop this.

1) I am not getting meta description or keywords on my product pages (they do appear on other catergory pages and sub category pages etc)

2) I am getting lots of repeats of my store description in my meta descriptions (text set in meta_tags.php)

many thanks,

anthony

hi,

many thanks,

anthony

I am having the same thing I dont have any keywords listed on index and on product pages I have no meta tags

http://shop.turbofsi.net

Hi - I Had this and it was because I had not carried out the changes to all the relevent files

its was this step i missed

STEP 2 - Edit admin/categories.php

Find this code:

$action = (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['action']) ? $HTTP_GET_VARS['action'] : '');

Directly AFTER add this:

# cDynamic Meta Tags

// If the action will affect the cache entries

if ( eregi("(insert|update|setflag)", $action) ) include_once('includes/reset_meta_cache.php');

STEP 3 - Edit pages you want to use meta tags on (like index.php, product_info.php etc)

I had edited the admin/cat file and the index php - but forgot to do product info and other files that I want the dynamic tags to appear on!

hope this helps

Thanks for looking.

Here's an easy newbie question. In step 5 of the instructions it tells you to configure the settings. On the first question it asks to "** MUST specify $meta_cache_path **". Where and how do I specify this?

Thanks, Jason

Thanks for this incredible contribution!!

Everything seems to be in working order, but I have a few issues to work out. I hope someone can help me figure this out. I really appreciate it! :)

1) How do I know if the cache is working properly?

2) In the meta name description it's cutting off the text after a few lines and putting in a "...". I would like to include all the text I have in the description of my products, if possible.

3) How do I add more content in my meta name keywords. Right now it looks like I have the model name, and what folder it's in in my catalog. Is there a way to include other info such as manufacturers, the style of product, or any other info?

4) I'm not sure how to configure this in the english/meta_tags.php page?

# Define specific meta tags by entering the value between the '':

# For all pages using meta_tags:

define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL',''); # Title

define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_ALL',''); # Description

define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_ALL',''); # Keywords

# For default index page (no products or categories)

define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_INDEX',''); # Title

define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_INDEX',''); # Description

define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_INDEX',''); # Keywords

AND

5) I just looked at my home page and it doesn't look good! Here's what I have:

<title>Subcitizen</title>

<META NAME="Description" Content="Subcitizen">

<META NAME="Keywords" Content="">

I don't know what happened!? How do I include more info in the title, in "meta name=description" and in "meta name=Keywords?

Thanks for looking. I really appreciate any and all info regarding this!

Thanks In Advance,

Jason

There is something weird going on with the meta tags contrib.

It is inserting text in serveral places. For example:

bytmc

<title>The Molding of a Champion by: Children-Youth - A Place of Hope Store -</title>

<META NAME="Description" Content="The Molding of a Champion (bytmc) by Children-Youth - The Molding of a Champion Helping Your Child Shape a Winning Destiny Winning Strategies for nurturing future life champions Practical parenting advice from a leading...">

<META NAME="Keywords" Content="the molding of a champion, bytmc books, children-youth, books, videos, dvd, supplements for eating disorders, depression, abuse, store">

I also find the term in a few places on the page:

href="http://www.aplaceofhopestore.com/molding-champion-p-69.html" class="headerNavigation">bytmc</a></td>

<td class="pageHeading" valign="top">The Molding of a Champion<br><span class="smallText">[bytmc]</span></td>

This is happening to every product page, but with different phrases. Anotehr page is doing the same thing with the phrase bahsea.

Where in the world are these terms coming from? They are not in my original product pages.

Is this something from the SEO contrib?

Help! Im getting this in my source. Does anyone know why? I have a feeling it is because I havent added a path to my cache but Im not sure how to do this. I pray someone can/will assist. Thank you

<b>Warning</b>: fopen(/var/www/html//tmp/_index.php_cPath=34.meta-cache): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/var/www/html/includes/meta_tags.php</b> on line <b>392</b><br />

<br />

<b>Warning</b>: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in <b>/var/www/html/includes/meta_tags.php</b> on line <b>393</b><br />

<br />

<b>Warning</b>: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in <b>/var/www/html/includes/meta_tags.php</b> on line <b>394</b><br />

I would like to display the parent category name then the subcategory name in the page title.

"Parent : Child Category"

Any help greatly appreciated.

I've just downloaded and installed version 1.6, and it works pretty well.

I did have some minor issues with it, and I hope that the following acts as a workaround for others. I wouldn't classify it as a long-term fix, but it does resolve the problem.

First, the SQL that comes with 1.6 includes the following:

INSERT INTO `configuration` (`configuration_id`, `configuration_title`, `configuration_key`, `configuration_value`, `configuration_description`, `configuration_group_id`, `sort_order`, `last_modified`, `date_added`, `use_function`, `set_function`) VALUES  
 ('', 'Show Model in Title ?', 'D_METATAG_SHOW_MODEL_INTITLE', 'true', 'D_METATAG_SHOW_MODEL_INTITLE', 9999, 100, '0000-00-00', '2007-02-01', NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'),');

INSERT INTO `configuration` (`configuration_id`, `configuration_title`, `configuration_key`, `configuration_value`, `configuration_description`, `configuration_group_id`, `sort_order`, `last_modified`, `date_added`, `use_function`, `set_function`) VALUES  
 ('', 'Show Manufacturer in Title ?', 'D_METATAG_SHOW_MANUF_INTITLE', 'true', 'D_METATAG_SHOW_MANUF_INTITLE', 9999, 100, '0000-00-00', '2007-02-01', NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'),');

That's cool if you really don't like the GUI making sense, but if you're anything like me and like a GUI that makes sense, change it to:

('', 'Show Model in Title ?', 'D_METATAG_SHOW_MODEL_INTITLE', 'true', 'This includes or excludes the model number from the title', 9999, 100, '0000-00-00', '2007-02-01', NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'),');

('', 'Show Manufacturer in Title ?', 'D_METATAG_SHOW_MANUF_INTITLE', 'true', 'This includes or excludes the manufacturer name from the title', 9999, 100, '0000-00-00', '2007-02-01', NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'),');

The admin interface includes an option (alluded to above) which lets you change whether or not the title includes the osC product code and manufacturer. But the underlying code never actually queries for this value, so it gets ignored. No matter the value, it will always include these two things.

A quick and easy fix is to modify the includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php file, replacing the following:

# Show Model in Title
// for version 1.6 : moved to admin  -$show_model_in_title = false;  # no ' or "
$show_model_in_title = D_METATAG_SHOW_MODEL_INTITLE;  # no ' or "
#  true or false

# Show Manufacturer in Title
// for version 1.6 : moved to admin  -$show_man_in_title = false;  # no ' or "
$show_man_in_title = D_METATAG_SHOW_MANUF_INTITLE;  # no ' or "
#  true or false

with:

# Show Model in Title
// for version 1.6 : moved to admin  -$show_model_in_title = false;  # no ' or "
// $show_model_in_title = D_METATAG_SHOW_MODEL_INTITLE;  # no ' or "
$show_model_in_title = false;  # no ' or "
#  true or false

# Show Manufacturer in Title
// for version 1.6 : moved to admin  -$show_man_in_title = false;  # no ' or "
// $show_man_in_title = D_METATAG_SHOW_MANUF_INTITLE;  # no ' or "
$show_man_in_title = false;  # no ' or "
#  true or false

Just set the values true or false as you wish. The reason I consider this a workaround, and not a fix, is because the code really should not refer to the language files for these values, but rather to the database entries that the GUI tweaks. Still, it's something you'll likely only change once, and it does the job.. so there you go.

I hope this helps people out. As always, keep a backup of any file you change, I'm not a programmer, just an osc user, all done at your own risk etc etc :)

Max

I already installed V1.6, but I want to change my DB with your changes... How can I do this? I'm not an expert. Only copy and paste your modified SQL lines and execute them? or it will give me double entries?

I already installed V1.6, but I want to change my DB with your changes... How can I do this? I'm not an expert. Only copy and paste your modified SQL lines and execute them? or it will give me double entries?

It will give you double entries. The best method is to use a manager such as phpMyAdmin (most hosts provide this as part of their offering) to modify the existing records.

Open phpMyAdmin and click on the "configuration" table. Select the "browse" option - this will let you see the content of the table as it is. If this is your most recent change, you'll find the relevant entries at the end of the table. Find the entries that refer to D_METATAG_SHOW_MODEL_INTITLE and D_METATAG_SHOW_MANUF_INTITLE. You'll see a field called "configuration_id" to the left. Note these down. For the sake of this example, let's assume the configuration_id for the model_intitle record is 100 and for the manufacturer is 101.

Now, click on the SQL button - this will take you to an interface where you can enter the SQL commands directly. Use the following commands:

UPDATE `configuration` SET `configuration_description`='This includes or excludes the model number from the title.' WHERE(`configuration_id`='100');
UPDATE `configuration` SET `configuration_description`='This includes or excludes the manufacturer name from the title.' WHERE(`configuration_id`='101');

Be sure to replace the 100 and 101 with whatever your actual configuration_id values are. And of course, back up, back up, back up before making any changes to your database!

I hope this helps :)

Max

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this great contribution. I am having an error that I can't figure out what the problem is.

After clicking the link at the top of the index page that says "Welcome back...check out our new products. The first page loads fine. Then when i click the next page link at the bottom of the page, I get this error at the top of the page:

Warning: strpos() [function.strpos]: Empty delimiter. in /home/subcitiz/public_html/includes/meta_tags.php on line 347

at the bottom of the same page I get this error:

Error! Unable to determine the page link!

When I go to the meta_tags.php page, on line 347, (the page and line in question) this is what I have:

if (strpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], $page) ){

I'm not sure how to fix this. I think that $page has no value.

Can anyone help me?

I really appreciate it!

Jason