• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie to OScommerce

anthonycea

Well guys, I know nothing about OScommerce, I am not a web host and do not have my own server.

I have a windows XP box, how do I get started here? Do I use an ASP (application service provider) that works with the OScommerce platform?

How do I build my store and who do I host it with.

Sorry for being a pain in the arse, but I know no other way in life :'(

Well guys, I know nothing about OScommerce, I am not a web host and do not have my own server.

I have a windows XP box, how do I get started here?  Do I use an ASP (application service provider) that works with the OScommerce platform?

How do I build my store and who do I host it with.

Sorry for being a pain in the arse, but I know no other way in life :'(

Search the forums.

Search the knowledge base/Documentation

:)

Yes. osCommerce runs on PHP and MySQL. You need support for both of those, at least.

You *can* get this going on your own PC, but it's nearly as easy to pay $5 a month for cheapo hosting and do it on a real server.

-jared

Hi Anthonycea ;)

I'm one day or so ahead of you here :)

I went with www.apachefriends.org/ for a thing called xampp that does a lot in one go... seemed easier.

Wellcome to the forum B)

So I get a web hosting account, download the above, download OS commerce and then what? FTP these to my host?
I installed everything locally (meaning on my pc and no acces from the web) for fast acces.

This way you can sit and develop/make changes and see it instantly as you don't need to upload it first.

Downside is you have to go through the entire upload and probably a lot of changes too, before it will work "live".

I installed everything locally (meaning on my pc and no acces from the web) for fast acces.

This way you can sit and develop/make changes and see it instantly as you don't need to upload it first.

Downside is you have to go through the entire upload and probably a lot of changes too, before it will work "live".

Just a thought on this

Create a replica test site on your web host then you can change things on an environment that as near as makes no difference is like your live one - No uploads to do when you make changes only copying a file or two fropm test to live site

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Let's say that I want to do it on a host, please address post #7 and give the forum a step by step on how to proceed.

example:

Get a hosting account with php/sql support

Upload _________

Create test copy of OS commerce

Go live

That sort of thing guy so that newbies can get going quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony - - if you are not willing to dig in and figure things out (at least some) on your own, then you're probably never going to be happy with your store. For example, someone referred you to xampp, even gave you the URL to download it. Instead of looking it up for yourself, you asked them for an explanation (certainly the website you were referred to has some useful info).

After you download osCommerce, there is a file named "install.php". Have you ran this file?

You've *got* to dig in a little more, or you'll never be successful running your own shop.

-jared

Anthony - - if you are not willing to dig in and figure things out (at least some) on your own, then you're probably never going to be happy with your store.  For example, someone referred you to xampp, even gave you the URL to download it.  Instead of looking it up for yourself, you asked them for an explanation (certainly the website you were referred to has some useful info).

After you download osCommerce, there is a file named "install.php".  Have you ran this file? 

You've *got* to dig in a little more, or you'll never be successful running your own shop.

-jared

I'm digging man, but when you are new you need a step by step, I did check out the link you mention, I thank all of you for your responses.

At the same time a forum is for discussion and not to tell a member just to go find it here or there in the knowledge base.

Jared I understand what you are saying, no one is going to do it for you, I am 46 years old and understand this.

Miko67 & Thisheart gave great tips and I am thankful and will work to put the pieces together.

Please forgive us for being blunt sometimes - - it's just that there are hundreds of folks who don't bother to look up anything or search - - they just ask the same questions that were asked earlier that day, and have been answered dozens of times over.

Please, though, feel free to ask all of the questions you want - - we try to be a good community, but we're all human as well. :)

You may find good use of this: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2565 .

-jared

Archived