• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customers dont like login screen

mark27uk3

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that a lot of visitors to my site add item(s) to their basket but they leave as soon as they get to the login screen.

I am running the purchase without account contrib but that is the bottom box on the page and unless the customer scrolls down they can not see this option.

I would like to run an experiment where the customer clicks on checkout and they are automatically redirected to the pwa screen instead of the login page. I will obviously put a link to the login page in my header navigation for existing account holders.

Does anyone who runs the pwa contrib know how/where I would make these changes?

Thanks

Mark :blink:

Lifes a bitch, then you marry one, then you die!

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that a lot of visitors to my site add item(s) to their basket but they leave as soon as they get to the login screen.

I am running the purchase without account contrib but that is the bottom box on the page and unless the customer scrolls down they can not see this option.

I would like to run an experiment where the customer clicks on checkout and they are automatically redirected to the pwa screen instead of the login page. I will obviously put a link to the login page in my header navigation for existing account holders.

Thanks

I have just moved the PWA option to the top but as I am not live yet I have no idea how this will influence customers. You can't know on beforehand if a customer will be PWA or wants to login having a customer ID already or wanting to sign up. I think it is better to see what happens if you just move the PWA option to the top instead of forcing regular customers to go back and forth if they do not login immediately.

The code is probably in your login.php file just move it above the other two choices.

You should install the recover cart sales contribution, while it will not help with people who do not sign in at all it is good for getting feedback on dropped carts. Also most people drop their carts without purchasing. The figure I remember is like 85% of all carts are dropped without a purchase being made. So yes trying to look at ways to make it easier for your customers is a good thing it does happen everywhere.

The best thing to do is to find the most computer illeterate people you know and have them test out your cart and see what problems they have and where they get confused. That is where your problems will be and you do not have to guess as much what you think the problem is.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

The code is probably in your login.php file just move it above the other two choices.

You should install the recover cart sales contribution, while it will not help with people who do not sign in at all it is good for getting feedback on dropped carts. Also most people drop their carts without purchasing. The figure I remember is like 85% of all carts are dropped without a purchase being made. So yes trying to look at ways to make it easier for your customers is a good thing it does happen everywhere.

The best thing to do is to find the most computer illeterate people you know and have them test out your cart and see what problems they have and where they get confused. That is where your problems will be and you do not have to guess as much what you think the problem is.

Yes, I am sorry, I should have been more expicit but I thought it would be clear.

In your /catalog/inclueds/login_pwa.php you can move the section

//BOF: MaxiDVD Purchase With-Out An Account SECTION
//===========================================================
if (($cart->count_contents() > 0) && (!isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['my_account_f']) || $HTTP_GET_VARS['my_account_f'] !=1))  // only display of box if something in cart
{
$pwa_checkout_title = HEADING_CHECKOUT;
$pwa_checkout_info = "<table border=\"0\" cellpadding=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\" style=\"border-collapse: collapse\" bordercolor=\"#111111\" width=\"100%\" id=\"AutoNumber1\">
 <tr>
   <td width=\"100%\" class=\"main\" colspan=\"3\">" . TEXT_CHECKOUT_INTRODUCTION . "</td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
   <td width=\"100%\" class=\"main\" colspan=\"3\">" . tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10') . "</td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
   <td width=\"33%\" class=\"main\"></td>
   <td width=\"33%\"></td>
   <td width=\"34%\" rowspan=\"3\" align=\"center\">" . '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image_button('button_checkout.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CHECKOUT) . '</a>' . "<br><br></td>
 </tr>
</table>";
?>
<?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '15'); ?>
<table width="100%" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" border="0">
   <tr>
    <td class="main" width=100% valign="top" align="center">
<?php
 $info_box_contents = array();
 $info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left',
                              'text'  => $pwa_checkout_title );
 new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, true, true);

$info_box_contents = array();
 $info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left',
                              'text'  => $pwa_checkout_info);
 new infoBox($info_box_contents);
?>
 </td>
 </tr>
</table>
 <?php
}
//EOF: MaxiDVD Purchase With-Out An Account SECTION

to the top so customers will first the see PWA login option and after that the normal login or sign in as an existing customer.

Hi Mark,

What I've managed to do is

1. install the Purchase Without Account contribution as you have

2. Change all the links that say "checkout", ie from basket and nav bars to go to the page where you input your details for a "no account creation" choice. this misses out the login/create account page completely and so doesn't put off the one time purchaser, or those that see the word "account" and run away.

3. At the top of this page have a small note to the effect that if you want to track orders etc set up account or login here. which would take them to usual log in page

You can see it here

This is only a test shop that I'm setting up at the moment so ignore layout etc etc but I think this is what you mean

Cheers

K

Hi Guys,

Thanks

I simply changed this code in checkout_shipping :

// if the customer is not logged on, redirect them to the login page

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

$navigation->set_snapshot();

if ((PWA_ON == 'true') and ($cart->count_contents() > 0)) {

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT, '', 'SSL'));

} else {

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'));

}

}

Treasurer MFC

Hi Amanda,

What did you change this code too?

} else {
}
}

Thanks

Mark :rolleyes:

Hi Amanda,

What did you change this code too?

} else {
}
}

Thanks

Mark :rolleyes:

this IS the code I use now. it means that if it is a guest and we have PWA enabled and we have something in the cart, when the user clicks checkout, he will go directly to the PWA order information page bypassing login.

If nothing is in the cart or PWA is disabled, checkout will send him to the login page.

this way you need not change the checkout button code, checkout_shipping will handle the right redirections itself.

Treasurer MFC

this IS the code I use now. it means that if it is a guest and we have PWA enabled and we have something in the cart, when the user clicks checkout, he will go directly  to the PWA order information page bypassing login.

If nothing is in the cart or PWA is disabled, checkout will send him to the login page.

this way you need not change the checkout button code, checkout_shipping will handle the right redirections itself.

this is the original code part which the code above replaces:

}

Treasurer MFC

Hi Amanda,

I have changed that code now, I will post back as and when I have some/any results as to wether this change makes any difference in order completion figures.

Thanks

Mark :-"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived