• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Will someone please tell me what im doing wrong

jenkins_atl

:'( Ive been trying for days now to get a menu on my osc site without success. Where in what header file do i insert

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="easymenu.css">

<script src="javascript/easymenu.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

And then where do i go from there?

Also if i already have catagories and products will i have to insert them all over again?

www.seturbo.com/catalog-ford/

PLEASE HELP

:'( Ive been trying for days now to get a menu on my osc site without success. Where in what header file do i insert

Also if i already have catagories and products will i have to insert them all over again?

PLEASE HELP

Mn=any questions here - what exactly are you trying to achieve ? Getting a menu on your site is a (very) large topic

You might have to amend different php's depending on what you want to do

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

PLEASE HELP

The easiest way to get it working (and then you can change things from there), is to include the easymenu_vert.css line in the head section of the index.php file (right below where the standard css file is called is a good place). Then incldue the javascript right below that. The actual code needs to be included for some browsers so you should try that way first. Open the easymenu.js file and copy/paste the entire contents to right below the line you just added above. Then, edit your includes/clumn_left.php file and add
include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'categories_easymenu.php');

That should do it. If not, post a link to the site so I can look at the code.

Just so you know, in the future, support questions for conributions should be asked in the thread for that conribution.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You don't include a call to an external style sheet in your header file, and if you put it in the head of each root level page it will over-ride the osCommerce style sheet. Best thing to do is to find a Javscript menu that allows you to define inline styles in the header itself.

Vger

I think the only reason you wouldn't want to place the stylesheet in header.php is because some of the code is laready setup before the stylesheet has been loaded. However, in special situations where those classes won't be called till later, I don't think there is a problem with this. It really isn't any different than using inline styles.

You are mistaken about the one stylesheet overriding the default stylesheet in this instance. This is a common and accepted practice. The only way it will override it is if the same class is included in both. Otherwise, it is perfectly fine to do so and should be done, IMO, on large sites to help keep track of the classes.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Well, I have been working for the last months on a variety of drop down menus on several sites, and from my own experience every time I have used one which needs the placement of an alternative stylsheet in the head section of each page it has resulted in the osCommerce style sheet being ignored. Those which use inline styles have worked - albeit with major problems with different browsers not behaving the same way when javascript is used. In at least one site I have had to use a browser detect script to divert users to different header files based on which browser they are using - otherwise placement of the menu in the header becomes a nightmare.

Back to the question!

I believe, from a reread of the original question, that 'T' is trying to put 'categories' into the header as a menu or drop-down menu - and there are several Contributions which do that - with varying degrees of success.

Vger

He's trying to install my Easy Menu contribution and the included categories infobox. I've tested it on all major browsers and it works fine except that the javascript has to be inline for IE. The contribution uses its own css file. I use the menu on my site and it works great. I think the op's problem is just confusion as to how to install the contribution.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm not sure that would be what you want. I have the code to put a standard categories box in the header. But that is in a drop down list so it makes it fit nicely into the header. All it does is place the category array into a form. I don't see why the same couldn't be done with this although I'm not sure how easy it will be. Although it would be a neat illusion to move the mouse down the list and have sub-categories pop out. Guess I'm going to have to play around with that in my spare time.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

As menitoned off-forum, you have the wrong contribution installed. Re-read the instructions and be sure to copy the new categories_easymenu.php file to your includes/boxes directory.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived