• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need your opinion

dinh

To get to some of my products, you have go through sometimes up to 6 subcategories. As a customer, would you rather go through 6 subcategories via a DHTML menu or the normal osCommerce menu? I'd rather not show all my subcategories, as it would look like a disaster.

-DHTML-

Pros: Only one click and easy to browse other categores/subcategories, and its pretty fancy

Cons: Long parse times

-Normal-

Pros: Shorter parse/load up times per page

Cons: More clicks involved, and overall, takes longer to get through 6 subcategories.

Thanks in advanced guys :thumbsup:

Hi - have similar problem, I dont have 6 level categories, but have very heavily populated sub-categories, giving same kind of result. I have installed coolmenu and placed the call to coolmenu in the footer of each page so that the page shows, then the menu shows. This means that slow browsers still have the original menu structure to use, and also keeps the search engines happy as they ignore all of the script anyway, but have to churn through it all to get to your actual content. I have also modified the categories box and named it categories2 and placed it at the bottom of the footer file (just before coolmenu) so that the engines have lots of nice juicy links to get around my site, and returning customers who dont want to wait for the coolmenu to load can click directly into where they want to go - visit my site to take a look at what I mean - you will notice the page displays before the coolmenu, where the install version of coolmenu (may have been updated since I did it, not sure) means that your coolmenu displays and hovers over a blank page, so the customer cant see anything until the heavy script has completely loaded.

Just my 2 cents, but hope it helps you choose!

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

To get to some of my products, you have go through sometimes up to 6 subcategories. As a customer, would you rather go through 6 subcategories via a DHTML menu or the normal osCommerce menu? I'd rather not show all my subcategories, as it would look like a disaster.

-DHTML-

Pros: Only one click and easy to browse other categores/subcategories, and its pretty fancy

Cons: Long parse times

-Normal-

Pros: Shorter parse/load up times per page

Cons: More clicks involved, and overall, takes longer to get through 6 subcategories.

Thanks in advanced guys :thumbsup:

You asked for views - so here is mine :D

Make the shopping experience - as happy and painless as you can.

The biggest pain for Online shopping is waiting around for something, anything to happen i.e long load times - I can't believe anyone still uses dial up - but apparently they do :-" - That translates to short attention spans and fidgety fingers that want to click on things - if you have long - read 10 secs + load times before anything interesting happens you will lose more custom than if you have a long list of categories and subcategories

My two pennies worth

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Archived