• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Rigister_globals bypass?

Steve D

Hi,

I'm trying to install OSC for a friend, but I get this message:

FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!

Having spoken to the web host (demon.net), I have been informed that they have disabled this in their .ini file due to security concerns.

My question, therefore, is whether I can somehow bypass this file to install and run OSC, or whether it is essential to the entire program?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Steve,

There should be one in the 'web root' path, that is usually called 'public_html' or a symbolic link called 'www'.

If it isn't there, create a new one, with the PHP value as above , save it as .htaccess and upload to the web root path.

Peter

Hi Steve,

There should be one in the 'web root' path, that is usually called 'public_html' or a symbolic link called 'www'.

If it isn't there, create a new one, with the PHP value as above , save it as .htaccess and upload to the web root path.

Peter

Thanks.

Do i just need to include that one line that you mentioned? Also, do I save it as a .php file? (.htaccess.php)? :-"

.htaccess files are hidden files, so just because you don't immediately see it doesn't mean it's not there. Uploading a new one may overwrite an existing .htaccess file - so you need to 'unhide' any hidden files in your root directory to see if you do have an existing .htaccess file.

When you FTP to your site (this is based on using WS FTP Pro) you will see, on the right of your screen, a box named MkDir, and below that there is a blank box. Into that blank box type -la then navigate out of that folder to another and then back to it again - you should now see any hidden files, including .htaccess

You only need to insert the one line Peter provided into the .htaccess file.

Be aware of this however - as your hosting company has disabled register globals for security reasons - if you enable them for your site and someone uses it to gain malicious access to the shared server you are on, then your hosting company may shut down your site, or even delete it. They may shut down your site if they just find out you are over-riding their security settings by enabling register globals via .htaccess.

Setting up your own local php.ini file is not an option, as any local php.ini files will get overwritten every time upgrades/patches are applied to the server. My advice is to install the Register Globals patch which will allow your osCommerce website to run with Register Globals set to Off.

Vger

Hi Steve,

Peter

I've tried that and it's not working. Same error. Any other suggestion?

Contributions - link at top of this page. Be very careful when you do the install - backup all files to be edited (so you can start over if things go wrong).

There are some sections of the install where you have (this is just an example) five lines of code to be replaced, and it's easy not to notice that the original has seven lines of code. You are meant to replace only the five and leave the other two alone - but it's easy to overlook and just copy and paste the five lines in place of the original seven lines of code (thus messing things up).

Vger

Thank you very much Vger.

After reading the help file of Global Patch, I thought of creating a php.ini file and entered the value:

register_globals = On

and it's working without the patch.

Thank you all.

That's fine, but remember what I said:

1. Hosting company may not like you doing it.

2. Any local php.ini file will get overwritten any time an update/patch is applied to the server or the web hosting control panel software. Your site will go down, and it will stay that way until you notice that it's down and reinstall your php.ini file locally again.

Vger

Thank you very much Vger.

After reading the help file of Global Patch, I thought of creating a php.ini file and entered the value:

register_globals = On

and it's working without the patch.

Thank you all.

Hi,

With a hosting company some years back, we could have 'our own' php.ini file, but had to be careful, as "Vger" stated, of updates.

In fact, the first time I used my own, I only needed to change a few values, and so only had a very small php.ini file. I quickly found out that was the wrong way to do it. I needed to copy the php.ini that was used by the server, to my website, and then modify the lines I needed to change, so it may be the same there, you 'may' need a _complete_ PHP.INI file, in fact, I'd be 99% certain you would.

Peter

Archived