• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Install on Apache/php/mysql

rbrink

After following (and confirming I can access the apache server, phpinfo(), and the MySQL4.1 database I installed - when I attempt to bring up the initial page:

Http://localhost/catalog/install/install.php and entering the IP (tried localhost and system name), the root user, root password and database: oscommerce I get:

"Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;

consider upgrading MySQL client"

The docs are not real helpful...

Ron :'(

After following (and confirming I can access the apache server, phpinfo(), and the MySQL4.1 database I installed - when I attempt to bring up the initial page:

Http://localhost/catalog/install/install.php  and entering the IP (tried localhost and system name), the root user, root password and database: oscommerce I get:

"Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;

consider upgrading MySQL client"

The docs are not real helpful...

Ron :'(

Your url is wrong. Go back into config and fix it, and try again. Good luck!

Your url is wrong. Go back into config and fix it, and try again. Good luck!

Okay call me stupid but what URL should I be using? The "docs" says: http://localhost/catalog. When I use this it wants to do the install so I put in the server, user, pass and db but I keep getting:

Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

I don't have any trouble connecting thru the cmdline mysql or mysqladmin as long as I set --user/--password options.

• 6 months later...

I had the same problem tried to use MySql 4.1 , Mysql 4.0, My sql 3.2 but of no use. Have u solved the problem? If yes please reply. I am making my new website on buymangoes.com and am now using my local machine. Other system config win xp pro sp2, php 4 , apache 1.3 . Is it a issue with mysql and xp sp2? The nature of error on 4.1 is cannot connect to server. However I can connect to the database from command line. On 4.0 the In the admin panel I can see the error the odbc driver 3.51 not installed. and nothing happens

I have been able to solve my problem.

I am now using mysql 4.0 and had to install the sql drivers found at mysql site.

Also one more easy way to install

go to xampp at apachefriends.org Apache (2.0.54), OpenSSL (0.9.7g), MySQL (4.1.12) and eAccelerator (0.9.3).

Installtion is a breeze. Uninstalltion is also easy. No registry entries.

oscommerce installation is just a copy command.

Very useful for new users and beginners.

By the way I have found a good host in solinweb.net who have a very moderate pricing and oscommerce as default in Fantastico. I have hosted my site buymangoes.com with them. Just visit and enjoy.

Archived