• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My shop is a blank page

SteveDB

Ok what am I doing wrong?

When I load my shop all I get is a blank page.

Try it

www.steveonwheels.co.uk/catalog/

Have got this far must be something simple. Like me son a step by step solution would be helpful.

Ok what am I doing wrong?

When I load my shop all I get is a blank page.

Try it

www.steveonwheels.co.uk/catalog/

Have got this far must be something simple. Like me son a step by step solution would be helpful.

What was the last thing you did before it quit working? Has it ever worked? What changes have you made? etc...

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

What was the last thing you did before it quit working? Has it ever worked? What changes have you made? etc...

It has never worked

I had to make changes to the .htaccess files which now have all lines # out.

install would not work with out this change.

I had to down load and install new following pages due to Gobal Registration error

/catalog/admin/products_attributes

/catalog/admin/includes/application_top

/catalog/admin/includes/general

/catalog/admin/includes/sessions

/catalog/includes/application_top

/catalog/includes/classes/order

/catalog/includes/functions/general

/catalog/includes/functions/gzip_compression

/catalog/includes/functions/sessions

/catalog/install/includes/application

I changed a the path to find the data base sql in

/catalog/install/templates/pages/Install_3

What I did after instalation I went to Administration.

There I configured my store with

Name

Owner

E-Maill address

E-mail From

Country

The Zone Has no selections in the drop down box so for now left at florida

Sort Order Not changed

Sort Field Not changed

Default Language Currency Not changed

Send Extra Order

Use search-Engine Not Changed

Display Cart false

allow Guest to tell a friend true

default Search Operator and

Store Address and phone

Show category Counts true

tax Decimal Places 0

Display Prices with tax true

I have made some changes to other setup options

in

Customer details

Shipping/Packaging

Product Listing

Cache

E-Mail Options

Sessions

and add a test product to view my pages

Do you want more details of any of these.

I am running on a windows 2003 sever with PHP Version 4.3.10

That's a pretty short page .... all I see is

<html><body></body></html>

!!!

I don't really know what type of error you've got, perhaps a parsing error or a missing include file.

You said that it never worked though, and I think that's where you should start again. When you took the stock osC code downloaded from this site and installed that, at the very least, you should have gotten the default shopping cart. Did you get at least that much working before you installed the mods?

If the answer is yes, it's back to basic troubleshooting steps I think. Install the mods one at a time, and go from there. It may be easer to start over from a working base, rather than working back to find a bug in this case because there have been so many changes. Frustrating, but it actually might be the quickest.

Hopefully I'm wrong though and someone else can be quicker-witted :)

That's a pretty short page .... all I see is

<html><body></body></html>

!!!

You said that it never worked though, and I think that's where you should start again.  When you took the stock osC code downloaded from this site and installed that, at the very least, you should have gotten the default shopping cart.  Did you get at least that much working before you installed the mods?

I had to do the .Htaccess mods because they just gave me an IIS error. I could not even start to install the programe.

I had to get the Global registar mods becasue Gobel registing is turned of in php.ini on my server.

I had to modify install_3 because it was not looking at right directory to get the default data base infromation.

This got me through to the end of the install process.

At the end of the install process I tried to look at what things looked like by going clicking on the catalog page and it has been blank right from the start.

I, not knowing any better thought that I got a blank page because I had not yet set anything up in admistration.

Each new mod required me to delete what was there and start agian, for some more then once, so I am already on instaltion 8.

Having reviewed what has happened as I write this could this be something to do with the directoy paths that are being uesd that are causing the problem.

When I have it up and running I'll be able to write a book detaling all the hassel I have had. :D I'd surggest the title "The killing shop" as the stress just to set it up is killing me. :D

I would follow the advice about reinstalling, but only after you've moved your hosting to a Linux/Unix server. PHP does not run well on Windows, simply because most Windows hosting companies impose severe restrictions upon its functionality. In short - ASP works best on Windows - PHP works best on Unix/Linux.

Vger

I would follow the advice about reinstalling, but only after you've moved your hosting to a Linux/Unix server.  PHP does not run well on Windows, simply because most Windows hosting companies impose severe restrictions upon its functionality.  In short - ASP works best on Windows - PHP works best on Unix/Linux.

Vger

unless you run your own server ofcourse.

Treasurer MFC

I would follow the advice about reinstalling, but only after you've moved your hosting to a Linux/Unix server.  PHP does not run well on Windows, simply because most Windows hosting companies impose severe restrictions upon its functionality.  In short - ASP works best on Windows - PHP works best on Unix/Linux.

Vger

Not an option for an Wheelchair bound old duffer like me.

We do not have any problems running othere PHP on our server.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark but you most likely have either a CRE Loaded or BTS templated store, right?

Here's a hint: Turn off the GZIP option

Admin Control Panel -> Configuration -> GZIP Compression -> Enable GZIP Compression => false

If you have a CRE Loaded or BTS templated store there are serious issues with the implementation of the output buffers. The GZIP option starts a global buffer and due to the shit-tay code it does not properly terminate a local layered buffer...thereby giving only an output buffer end clean call which will present exactly like you describe.

Now, if you don't have a CRE Loaded or BTS templated store you still have an output buffer issue :) However, how you fix it is beyond me without looking at the code.

Let me know if I'm on the ball with this or way out in left field...

Bobby

I'm going to take a shot in the dark but you most likely have either a CRE Loaded or BTS templated store, right?

Here's a hint: Turn off the GZIP option

Admin Control Panel -> Configuration -> GZIP Compression -> Enable GZIP Compression => false

I am useing a windows server and GZIP Compression does not work according to the documention, So I did not change the default setting of false

If you have a CRE Loaded or BTS templated store there are serious issues with the implementation of the output buffers.  The GZIP option starts a global buffer and due to the shit-tay code it does not properly terminate a local layered buffer...thereby giving only an output buffer end clean call which will present exactly like you describe.

Now, if you don't have a CRE Loaded or BTS templated store you still have an output buffer issue :)  However, how you fix it is beyond me without looking at the code.

Let me know if I'm on the ball with this or way out in left field...

Bobby

As to CRE loaded or BTS templated store i can only say? Don't even know what your talking about!!

OK..I was off base with my shot in the dark but you have not given us very much to go on.

The majority of problems on the forum are "I have a number in my head. Guess what it is." type of support questions.

It is obvious that you have a buffer problem. Where is the problem and how to correct it? Dunno...need more information.

What type of server is this on? Server and software specifications? Software settings (PHP / Apache)? ...etc

Bobby

OK..I was off base with my shot in the dark but you have not given us very much to go on.

What type of server is this on?  Server and software specifications?  Software settings (PHP / Apache)?  ...etc

Bobby

You missed my 2nd post (3rd one down from the top)

If you want more info then your have to take it step by step as I am just about treading water here. :D

You missed my 2nd post (3rd one down from the top)

If you want more info then your have to take it step by step as I am just about treading water here. :D

Ok, here's my guess ...

I think you goofed on the .htaccess stuff, because for whatever reason, I CAN see the admin side, which you probably know, but can't see the catalog side, and you probably have two different .htaccess files in each of the two locations. Trying to query any file in the catalog folder, even files that don't exist, comes back with the same blank response, which might mean all files are getting set to null that way.

I'd spend my time there, first ... copy whatever .htaccess you have in the admin folder to the catalog folder.

Hi All

I have started from Scratch again. (In fact 4 times after doing the download)

Admin working fine I have not come across a problem there.

Catalog still just giving me a blank page. :'(

The only files I can find that have changed on the catalog side are

.htaccess This is the same change as is made on the admin side

catalog/includes/application_top Changes made to prevent register_globals

catalog/includes/classes/order.php Changes made to prevent register_globals

catalog/includes/functions/general Changes made to prevent register_globals

catalog/includes/functions/sessions Changes made to prevent register_globals

catalog/includes/functions/gzip_compression Changes made to prevent register_globals

That is all the changes from down load in this part of the programe.

As all the changes have been made in the admin side somewhaere for the same reasons and it works fine I am a loss to as to what is going wrong.

I have as yet not changed any of the settings in admin.

One step at a time.

Any more surggestions. (I might get a second book out of this if it goes on much longer "Killer shop returns" :D "

Ok, here's my guess ...

I think you goofed on the .htaccess stuff,

I'd spend my time there, first ... copy whatever .htaccess you have in the admin folder to the catalog folder.

Done no change.

I am know compareing the origanel code from application_top to the new code for any other changes besides disabling the register_globals

Only 10 pages should be done by midnight. :)

To be honest at this point you either need to rethink your hosting arrangments or your choice of shopping cart.

Installing osC is the easy part, the complete install should not take more than 30-60 min or so depending on what kind of internet connection you have. As mentioned earlier installing on a windows machine is problematic at best and the one you are on seems to have additionl issues that are causing problems with your osC install.

The question you need to ask yourself is if I am having this much trouble just getting osC to install on this server what is going to happen when I start trying to customize the store to make if fit my needs. The answer is nothing good.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

To be honest at this point you either need to rethink your hosting arrangments or your choice of shopping cart.

Installing osC is the easy part, the complete install should  not take more than 30-60 min or so depending on what kind of internet connection you have.  As mentioned earlier installing on a windows machine is problematic at best  and the one you are on seems to have  additionl issues that are causing problems with your osC install.

The question you need to ask yourself is if I am having this much trouble just getting osC to install on this server what is going to happen when I start trying to customize the store to make if fit my needs.  The answer is nothing good.

I don't know any others for one. My search engine keeps coming up with some but they go hand in hand with US credit card processors. If I founnd a UK one I might consider changing but I just like this one! Strang I know but there you go :P

P.S. I am disabled and get my income from writing so think of the Book royalties I'll get on the books :D

Okay, Chemo was wrong about the buffer problem (possibly) but I'm going to stick my neck out now and suggest what I think the problem is. Are you using FrontPage extensions on this site? If you are then get your hosting company to remove them, then go to your website and remove all folders starting with vti_

I have seen this problem of blank pages before, and it's been caused by FrontPage extensions.

Vger

Okay, Chemo was wrong about the buffer problem (possibly) but I'm going to stick my neck out now and suggest what I think the problem is.  Are you using FrontPage extensions on this site?  If you are then get your hosting company to remove them, then go to your website and remove all folders starting with vti_

I have seen this problem of blank pages before, and it's been caused by FrontPage extensions.

Vger

No front page meet that one before but go have a look it's working.

Found a latter set of register globals updates and there you have it. Still don't know what the problem was but thanks fro your surggestions. It's good to know that there are helpful people in this world.

Will let you know when I hit the next brick wall :P

Archived