• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

random_specials

I'm wondering how to adapt this query from the above mod:

$random_products_query = tep_db_query("SELECT products_id, products_model, products_price from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " WHERE products_status ='1' and products_price > '". SPECIAL_PRODUCT_MIN_PRICE ."' order by rand() DESC limit " . NUMBER_SPECIALS);

to exclude 3 of my categories.

Would something like this work?

$random_products_query = tep_db_query("SELECT products_id, products_model, products_price from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " WHERE products_status ='1' and products_price > '". SPECIAL_PRODUCT_MIN_PRICE ."' and SELECT categories_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_CATEGORIES . " WHERE `categories_id` NOT LIKE 65 and `categories_id` NOT LIKE 44 and `categories_id` NOT LIKE 71 order by rand() DESC limit " . NUMBER_SPECIALS);

Personally, my first try would be:

$random_products_query = tep_db_query("SELECT products_id, products_model, products_price from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . ", " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_CATEGORIES . "  WHERE products_status ='1' and products_price > '". SPECIAL_PRODUCT_MIN_PRICE ."' and (categories_id != '65' and  categories_id != '44' and categories_id != '71') order by rand() DESC limit " . NUMBER_SPECIALS);
but then again, I'm not an SQL-expert...

Probably that wouldn't have worked, so then I would have tried:

$random_products_query = tep_db_query("SELECT products_id, products_model, products_price from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_CATEGORIES . "? pc WHERE products_status ='1' and products_price > '". SPECIAL_PRODUCT_MIN_PRICE ."' and p.products_id = pc.products_id and (categories_id != '65' and? categories_id != '44' and categories_id != '71') order by rand() DESC limit " . NUMBER_SPECIALS);

Probably that wouldn't have worked, so then I would have tried:

$random_products_query = tep_db_query("SELECT products_id, products_model, products_price from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_CATEGORIES . "  pc WHERE products_status ='1' and products_price > '". SPECIAL_PRODUCT_MIN_PRICE ."' and p.products_id = pc.products_id and (categories_id != '65' and  categories_id != '44' and categories_id != '71') order by rand() DESC limit " . NUMBER_SPECIALS);

Thank you but it says:

1052 - Column: 'products_id' in field list is ambiguous

Hmm- maybe there's a way to have it check the special product against the category after it's been selected as it does if something's already on special?

maybe there's a way to have it check the special product against the category after it's been selected as it does if something's already on special?
Sure, but it is more work. Easier and more efficient to let mysql do it.

The error is easy to fix (SELECT products_id -> SELECT p.products_id), but another one might come up or it might not work properly, anyway you could try:

$random_products_query = tep_db_query("SELECT p.products_id, products_model, products_price from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_CATEGORIES . " ?pc WHERE products_status ='1' and products_price > '". SPECIAL_PRODUCT_MIN_PRICE ."' and p.products_id = pc.products_id and (categories_id != '65' and ?categories_id != '44' and categories_id != '71') order by rand() DESC limit " . NUMBER_SPECIALS);

Sure, but it is more work. Easier and more efficient to let mysql do it.

The error is easy to fix (SELECT products_id -> SELECT p.products_id), but another one might come up or it might not work properly, anyway you could try:

$random_products_query = tep_db_query("SELECT p.products_id, products_model, products_price from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_CATEGORIES . "  pc WHERE products_status ='1' and products_price > '". SPECIAL_PRODUCT_MIN_PRICE ."' and p.products_id = pc.products_id and (categories_id != '65' and  categories_id != '44' and categories_id != '71') order by rand() DESC limit " . NUMBER_SPECIALS);

Great- that seems to be working- now it's just a matter of time I guess to see if any of my freebies or club memberships show up as the daily special LOL! Thank you!